main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The Jedi Draft: Reborn

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DarthIntegral, Sep 9, 2023.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball/SWC Jedi Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Welcome back to the Jedi Draft!

I'm not going to give you the normal long-winded speech about drafts. if you want that, check another thread. I'll link a few examples below. But basically, in this game, you'll be drafting (think fantasy football and similar) force sensitive characters, and then arguing about who wins.

I broke it down at a five-year old level here:

To sign up as a Judge, please reach out to me - I'd like to have a veteran of the drafts take on that role. To sign-up as a GM, just copy the list below, add your name, and post that into this thread. Once we get signed up, we'll get going. If you pre-registered to play in the discussion thread, I added you as a GM and tagged you below.

The Commish:
    1) Darthintegral

As the commissioner, I'll add a few more details as the game gets going, keep it moving, and answer any of your questions.

The Judges:

1) @cubman987
    2) Inty
    3) ??? (Maybe @KenKenobi or @Jordan1Kenobi?)

The GMs:

1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6) @clone commander bossk
    7) @Lady_Belligerent
    8) @heels1785

Links to previous Jedi Drafts to let you get the flavour.
    the-25th-jedi-draft-the-silver-anniversary-edition
    the-24th-jedi-draft-i-will-finish-what-horax-started-winner-darkeagle
    2007 Third (Winner: KenKenobi)
    2011: A New Draft (Winner: DarkEagle)
    2014: Only a Bith Deals In Absolutes (Winner: Point Given)
    Play Us Out Max Rebo (Winner: DarthIntegral)

On with Teh Draft!!1!eleven!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The Rosters:

Bluth

Darth Nihilus, Darth Malgus, Darth Malak, Starkiller, Maris Brood, Darth Talon & Darth Nihl, Naga Sadow, Marka Ragnos, Darth Chratis, Eldon Ax

cc bossk

Ahsoka Tano, Anakin Skwyalker, Arcann, Cal Kestis, Maul, Savage Oppress, Vaylin, Kao Cen Darach, Merrin, Lana Beniko

heels

Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Mace Windu, Kyle Katarn, General Grievous, Kyp Durron, Meetra Surik, Ulic Qel-Droma, Saba Sebatyne, Jaden Korr

HS29

Darth Sidious, Darth Plageuis, Rey, Kylo Ren, Darth Tenebrous, Ezra and Kanan, Cade Skywalker, Ben Skywalker, Darth Traya, An'ya Kuro

Jordan

Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Satele Shan, Cere Junda, Assaj Ventress, Quinlan Vos, Shaak Ti, Kit Fisto and Aayla Secura, Qui-Gon Jinn, Leia Organa Solo

Lady Bel

Blackhole, Jaina Solo Fel, Mara Jade Skywalker, Vergere, Darth Krayt, Vetara Khai and Gavar Khai, Morgan Elsbeth, Mother Talzin, Darth Maladi, Anakin Solo

Rx

Darth Vitiate, Revan, Count Dooku, Darth Bane, Darth Zannah, Exar Kun, Lord Scourge, Baylan Skoll, Kar Vastor, Jerec

Sinre

Jacen Solo, Lumiya, Darish Vol, Snoke, Tahiri Veila, Ren, Vicrul and Trudgen, Ap'lek and Kuruk, Cardo and Ushar, Lomi Plo

2. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    @HanSolo29 has played in the past and has to join in.

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
  4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  5. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball/SWC Jedi Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  8. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    This again, eh? Yeah, sure, why not.

Though let me just reiterate what I stated in our previous latest failed attempt at a draft. These things died out because we all tended to take them way too seriously. And these most recent drafts always dragged on way, way longer than they should've. And that's because judges waited way too long on arguments that never ended up materializing (because no one's got time for the, frankly, absurd essays that I (for one) used to put out there). And judges also tended to wait too long because I think they were too concerned with crafting the most perfectly-worded judgment because they didn't want to get yelled at for being "wrong". What the hell is even "wrong" when it comes to these things?

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    oh, I agree with you completely.

I view "bad" judgments in these drafts as kind of like upsets in real world sports. They happen, and they are unpredictable. if the judge feels confident in backing a choice, they should go for it. Appalachian State beat Michigan, Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson, and so if in one match in a Jedi Draft Pong Krell beats Anakin Skywalker because the judge took an argument as really powerful and swaying? let it be.

10. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Pong Krell is underrated! I reckon if we’d seen him have a single duel against a Jedi, he’d be right up there.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  11. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I think I understand.

People suck the fun out of it when they throw a fit, just like those who claim the game winning triple ot goal in the 1999 Cup finals should’ve been no goal.

[​IMG]

Hull had possession of the puck the entire time. People need to get over it and shut up.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Question for everyone:

Do we feel the need for a draftable character list? The latest one I can find for Jedi is in this draft. I suppose we can use that and do additions. If we have to ...

OR ... (this would be my preference)

We can just do an open world draft of "any Force User* - Sith, Jedi, Nightsister, Acolyte, Knight of Ren, strange-dinosaur-thing, Inquisitor, etc." in new or old Canon? And people can use the old lists as training wheels to find possible characters?

* - except, you know, don't try to draft the Father, Son, and Daughter

In either case, I would still institute the Anakin Skywalker rule, meaning that once a version of a character is selected, that character is off the board even if they have another appearance that feels like a different character, you can't take them. So, both Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader can be selected, but you can't take both Revan or Darth Revan, nor Ben Solo and Kylo Ren, nor Jacen Solo and Darth whateverthehellnametheygavehimthatwaskindagarbagenotgonnalie.

And I'm still going to stick with the "cumulative across all canons and legends" feats for characters. So Luke, Leia, etc. get their old school EU stuff and their new Disney stuff.

13. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Oooo!

DarthIntegral likes this.
  14. clone commander bossk

Nov 5, 2019
    Yeah I'm all for this, sounds like it would make things a lot simpler.

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    This works for me!

I also like the idea of using the old lists for finding some of the more obscure characters once the main ones are off the board.

16. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Sounds awesome!

clone commander bossk likes this.
  17. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Here’s an interesting twist to consider - How about we include Grievous in this Jedi draft? He’s so OP in the muggles draft, and I could easily see him beating 80% of the characters in this draft. He’s fought a good portion of them, and is always a good example to use for feats.

18. clone commander bossk

Nov 5, 2019
    I'd say including any lightsaber wielder (within reason obviously) regardless of force power could be a good idea.

heels1785 likes this.
  19. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  20. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth Force Ghost star 7

Sep 4, 2021
  21. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Yep, fer sure. And we don't even need to go as far as something along the lines of Buster Douglas. Joe Frazier took one of the three fights against Muhammad Ali. If a judge votes for Yoda in a fight with Luke, is it really the most egregious thing ever conceived?

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    One more! C'mon and get in here!

23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’m game! Never played in the past but always wanted to.

24. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Let's Go! On with teh draft!

So, here's what I'm going to do for the competition format. In the past, one of our issues has been the draft dragging on and on and players who were interested losing interest, and players who don't lose interest being eliminated from contention while still having matches to play. So, I want to minimize the number of matches, while maximizing the number of matches that matter. So, we're going to play in two sections.

I've come up with this system that guarantees:

• Every GM gets at least four matches
    • Every GM's last match is meaningful and just about every match carries some meaning towards crowning a champion
    • The maximum anyone has to be in is 6 matches.

Group Stage

I'll divide the GMs in half, and four will play in the "Sequel Trilogy" Group, and four will play in the "Prequel Trilogy" Group. These are so named because I'll be using locations from those movies as the location for those battles. The GMs that are picking 1st, 4th, 5th, and 8th in even rounds will be in the PT group, and the GMs picking 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and 7th in even rounds will be in the ST group.

In this stage, everyone will play round-robin, and we'll end the Group Stage with everyone ranked 1-4, based upon wins. If there is a tie, we will use tiebreakers in this order: head-to-head, total individual battle wins, and then if there's still a tie, the GM who has the individual character I love most.

From there, everyone advances to the

Knockout Stage

Group Stage will be important to rank everyone and do a seeded bracket, as well as get everyone experience playing with their teams and seeing what does/doesn't work. While everyone does advance, your performance in the Group Stage dictates where you will be placed in the Knockout Stage. So, doing better in the Group stage should give you an easier path in the Knockout Stage.

The bracket will look like this:

1st Place Prequel Trilogy vs. 4th Place Sequel Trilogy
    2nd Place Sequel Trilogy vs. 3rd Place Prequel Trilogy

2nd Place Prequel Trilogy vs. 3rd Place Sequel Trilogy
    1st Place Sequel Trilogy vs. 4th Place Prequel Trilogy

- - - - - - - - - - -

Give me a few minutes to do some RNGing and I'll post Group Assignments, draft order, a few FAQs and we'll begin the whole thing in earnest.