main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Kessel Run 2024 | 12 Weeks, 11 Prompts, 1 Wild Fanfic Challenge | Thanks for a fantastic Run!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ViariSkywalker, Jan 1, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Here's my story for Week 4. The speaker? The Delstee family home.

House and Home.

2. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    Well guys, I finally did it. I wrote a cat fic. :p

Safe

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Welcome to the meow side of the Force @ViariSkywalker [:D] We have cookies, catnip and demanding overlords

*rubs hands maniacally* [insert "everything is proceeding as I have foreseen" gif here]

4. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Week IV is posted.

The Ring of House Vizsla

Still trying to catch up on reading and reviewing. I'm loving everyone's entries so far. :D

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I have my Week Four up with Memories of Water, told from the POV of a certain japor pendant. [face_love]

6. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
  7. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    My Week 4 is posted.

8. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Week 4: Born in Fire-- a brief look at Mandalorian history from the perspective of a beskar helmet.

9. amidalachick

amidalachick Chosen One star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Finished Week 4. I think that was the toughest KR prompt yet (for me, at least)! :p

THIS! I'm also playing catch-up but I've really enjoyed everything I have read. The creativity and talent here is amazing. [face_love]

10. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
  11. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Happy Monday, everyone! We've reached the halfway point for our secret prompts and are nearly halfway through the challenge, and you guys are still going strong! If you have not finished your Week 4 entry, those are due tonight at 11:59pm EST. Let's see what our next secret prompt is, shall we?

* * Week 5 * *

• Write an AU (alternate universe) story of at least 500 words in which your narrator has amnesia, using this picture as inspiration:
      [​IMG]
    • Minimum 500 words, no maximum limit
    • Entries due Monday, February 12th at 11:59pm EST

For those of you who are already writing in AUs for this challenge: yes, you may continue to write in that AU this week and have it count toward the prompt. But if you would like to stretch those creative muscles to the max, perhaps consider writing a little AU detour of your overall AU? [face_batting] Of course, any sort of AU is welcome here; it doesn't have to be one you've already written in or are currently writing in. Make up something new and crazy if you'd like! Your fics are due one week from today. Remember, you do have the option of taking one "bye week" (to be made up during or before Week 11) or of using the substitute prompt in place of one of the secret prompts. So if you're not feeling the prompt or need a break, those options are there. Good luck, and happy writing! [face_dancing]

~~
    Index of Prompts | Index of Participants

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, I’m very torn on who the heck I’m going to AU this time. Or if I want to do the only one bed trope substitution. I just really like AUs and am tempted by a certain redhead.

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEE! Getting a Mara Jade vibe perhaps [face_batting] [face_love]

14. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    *exhales slowly and stops clutching the jailbreak prompt to her chest*

Okay, this may be an AU prompt I can work with (there are a great many World War II AUs that I'm simply not willing to write.)

@ViariSkywalker Here's an avalanche of questions for you please :)

1. When you say "amnesia", it can be any type of amnesia, right? From "I don't remember what happened during the car accident" to "I don't know who I am" and everything in-between?
    2. Would an alternate version of RL history qualify as an AU, or does it strictly have to be an AU to the fandom source material? (for instance, if I wrote an AU of RL events in Brittany during D-Day whereas The Longest Day deals only with Normandy, does that count as an AU?)
    3. Is it acceptable to have a framing device before and after the story told by the amnesic narrator, or should the story be exclusively from the amnesic narrator's POV?

Thanks!

15. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have written an AU that's a dream for Hessy Teack to cope with. He has amnesia. Is a Sith apprentice, comes to that room every time in Darth Terror?

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @ViariSkywalker

I have a question about the amnesia too. Does it have to continue throughout the story or can it resolve by the end? :)

17. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Does it have to be a full amnesia? Or enough if the character merely forgot a substantial part of their live?

18. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    How much of an AU does it need to be--in other words, is the character not remembering what happened to them sufficient to make it an AU, or does some other aspect of the original story need to be changed as well?

19. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    It can be any type of amnesia, including but not limited to the types you mentioned. ;)

An alternate version of RL history would absolutely qualify.

As long as the main narrative itself is told from the amnesiac's POV, it's fine to have a framing device that isn't from that character's POV.

The amnesia can resolve by the end!

It can be any type of amnesia that you want to write about! Real life amnesia rarely presents the way it does in fiction, and you are free to choose from the entire spectrum of real and/or fictional occurrences. :)

The original story needs to be changed in some way, regardless of the amnesia. For example, if you write a story where Luke loses his memories temporarily while on a Rebel mission but it doesn't alter the events of the saga in any way or interfere with established canon, then it's technically canon-compliant and wouldn't count as an AU. But if you write a story where Luke hits his head during the battle with Vader in ESB and forgets who he is, then that changes the events of ESB and is definitely an AU. The AU doesn't have to stem from the amnesia, but it's certainly a great place to start if you're stuck!

I hope that helps, but if you guys have any other questions, let me know!

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  21. amidalachick

amidalachick Chosen One star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    This is kind of a dumb question, but is using just one element from the picture enough to satisfy the 'inspiration' requirement? Like, if characters are sitting in a room with 'rough tan block walls' or something, would that count? Thanks! :)

22. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Whatever way you're inspired by the picture is fine, so yes, that would count! ;)

23. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  24. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
  25. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yet another quick question for you, @ViariSkywalker ! :) It’s OK to use a character who has amnesia or memory loss canonically, yes? As long as some other aspect of their story is changed enough to make it an AU, right?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024