main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Kessel Run 2024 | 12 Weeks, 11 Prompts, 1 Wild Fanfic Challenge | Thanks for a fantastic Run!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ViariSkywalker, Jan 1, 2024.

Tags:
  1. amidalachick

amidalachick Chosen One star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Ooh, this should be interesting! :D I just have a couple of questions to clarify before I dive in. :p

So (and this is kind of morbid, but it's the example that came to mind :p) we could do something like 'present-day OTP with a baby' -> flashforward to OTP's kid, all grown up with their own kids, at a memorial service for OTP -> back to 'present-day OTP & baby'?

Second, can it be imaginary (dream/fantasy/vision/hallucination/etc) or does it have to be a 'real' event? The example I'm thinking of is the video for Alanis Morissette's song "Precious Illusions". It starts off with Alanis meeting a guy at a party, goes through their relationship (with a literal fantasy version of their relationship playing out simultaneously!), and ends back on the opening scene of Alanis at the party.

Finally, does it matter how much time passes? Like, could the flashforward be just a week or a month later or does it have to be a more substantial time jump?

Thanks so much!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  2. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    In that case, I would define the setting as a geographical one per your first set of examples.

I've marked you down for the bye week! As for your question, the flashforward should be followed by a scene returning to an earlier time, usually the "present" of the narrative. Depending on how you structure your story and how many flashforwards you use, you wouldn't necessarily need to precede each flashforward with a scene from the narrative's present, but if you're unsure how to proceed (and taking into account the word limit), I think that's the easiest thing to do: book-end each flashforward with scenes from the present. The key thing here is to return to the present or other earlier time after the flashforward. I hope that helps!

Yes, you could absolutely do that! ;)

Hm, that's a good question. [face_thinking] For this prompt, I'm going to say it should be a real event. While a dream/fantasy/vision/hallucination might deal with events in the future, it's still typically occurring in the present for that character, if that makes sense? And what we want is to see actual future events before returning to the characters' present.

It can be any amount of time!

3. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Yeah, that does make sense! Thank you for all the answers. :)

4. Force of Light

Force of Light Jedi Master star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    Looks like I'm back to writing a Jurassic Park/World fic for this week, since the only romantic pairings are between Owen and Marida Grady and Chloe Sanderson and her late boyfriend, Charles Donovan. As for the latter, the flash forward might be if they happened to get away from their pursuers and either didn't crash land on Isla Nublar or else they both survived the crash (the helicopter landed on its side and didn't explode, at least not on impact). As for the other pairing, perhaps the flash forward would be if Marida and her ex-husband, Thorin Oakenshield, didn't have a falling out and they still came across the time portal in the abandoned section of Erebor. How would that have panned out? Decisions, decisions....[face_thinking]

5. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Okay given that my story doesn‘t have an OTP (which means the substitute prompt also makes little sense) I consider going into a radically different direction, and another fandom. Is that possible? And do you post it in the same thread or created a new one in NSWFF?

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
  7. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Well, this week has been crazy and I have not even started my week 5 story that is due in...roughly 4 hours. So, @ViariSkywalker, I am going to have to ask for a bye for week 5. :(

8. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Making it official: I'm going to have to take my bye week for Week 5.

That prompt had me utterly whipped, and while I do now finally have a story progressing for it, there isn't any way I can finish it in the next two hours.

9. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    It has been A Week, to put it mildly, but here's week 5, with *checks clock* thirty-seven minutes to go before the deadline :p Seeing Light

10. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    My week five will be a late submission.

11. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    You would post in the same thread as your current Kessel Run entries; all entries for a single Run need to stay together. Regarding the current week's prompt, the characters featured can be any romantic pairing; it doesn't have to be what you'd consider an OTP, and it doesn't have to actually be a romantic story. Regarding the substitute prompt, the "only one bed" trope doesn't strictly have to apply to characters with potential for romance. It can also be between characters with absolutely no romantic tension. Hope that helps! :)

I've marked you both down for the bye week! (I'll be taking that option myself. :p)

Would you like me to mark you down as taking your bye week for this week? Or do you just want to take the late submission? The former doesn't count against you as long as you finish your week 5 prompt by the end of week 11; the latter would unfortunately count against your final total.

12. Force of Light

Force of Light Jedi Master star 1

Jan 5, 2016
  13. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    So in my case it has to be in SW because the previous ones are?

14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @Mira Grau Jumping in because no one else is online at this time of day (or night, depending where you are on the globe). In previous iterations of the KR, writers who were going back and forth between SW and other fandoms posted everything in a single thread on the SW forum, including the NSWFF stories – which is the rule of thumb on the boards: as long as there's some SW in it, it goes in the SW forum, even if some stories are NSWFF (this also applies, for instance, to the drabble challenge where people can switch fandoms from week to week). So your entry can be in any fandom, but you should still post it in the thread you started on the SW side.

15. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Adding to Chyntuck's response, this quote from Vi is from the rules in the first post of this thread. You may jump around in fandoms, it's merely that all your KR responses must stay in your existing KR thread.

16. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    I’ll go with the latter. I have something written, I just have to finish it.

17. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
  18. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    I will mark that accordingly! Good luck finishing! :)

Also, @Gabri_Jade & @Chyntuck, thanks for answering that question while I was asleep! :p

19. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I kinda now want to do the alternative with the Stracraft characters... (is there an option to do it as well as some point if I don't need it?)

20. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    You can definitely write for the substitute prompt and use it as a bonus entry (just for fun) if you don't end up needing it to replace any of the other prompts. My suggestion would be to write for the prompt and then hold onto it until you know for sure you won't need it as an actual substitute. Of course, if you want to post it sooner and aren't worried about using it as a substitute, that's fine, too!

21. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 7

Aug 21, 2006
  22. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Man, these last two prompts have just kicked my shebs and the alternative prompt isn’t doing much for me either :(
    My moose muse:
    : [​IMG]

23. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @Raissa Baiard that is such a mood! I hope your moose muse cooperates, and sending you all the good writing vibes! [:D]

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Raissa Baiard -- maybe you could handle week six simiilarly to what I'm doing plot wise. I picked a crisis point for my flash forward event and without my main characters knowing about it ahead of time but discovering it as it unfolds they're still able to prevent it from happening, so it's not a Force vision or premonition type thing, it just happens in the flow of the story. :)

25. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    If anyone here feels that they need a Writing Prompt Support Group on PM, I'm in for it. It took me a looong time to figure out last week's prompt, I'm struggling with this week's, and I really, really want to save the jailbreak prompt for a rainy day, which, knowing Vi, I'm sure will come before this challenge is over [face_devil] Anyway, if any of you want to cry on each other's shoulder, I'd like to share that shoulder please :)