main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Kessel Run 2024 | 12 Weeks, 11 Prompts, 1 Wild Fanfic Challenge | Thanks for a fantastic Run!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ViariSkywalker, Jan 1, 2024.

Tags:
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I’d like to join.

2. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    Another Monday, another prompt for the Kessel Run! If you're still working on your Week 6 prompt, keep at it! I know it was a tough one, but you guys have risen to every challenge so far, and I'm positive you can do it again. You still have until tonight at 11:59pm EST to post those entries. Now let's see what our next writing challenge will be...

* * Week 7 * *

• Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words that is set in a dream and told from the perspective of an EC (established character)
    • Word limit = 100-1,000 words
    • Entries due Monday, February 26th at 11:59pm EST

As always, you have one week to write and post your fics. If you need to take a bye week, or if you have any questions about taking a bye week or using the substitute prompt, or about this week's prompt, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

(And if you're still working on Week 6 and need some help, feel free to continue asking questions about/discussing that prompt as well! [:D])

~~
    Index of Prompts | Index of Participants

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  3. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, no. I never do dream sequences. ;) Now to decide on who I’ll be working with.

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Very intriguing prompt, @ViariSkywalker ! I do have a terminology question, though. (Yes, I know... sorry!) What counts as a "dream"? Does it have to be what we on earth call a dream, namely, the kind of subconscious apparition our minds create specifically while asleep? Can a similar apparition happening during a trance or meditation state count? How about what we call a "daydream" (which most of the time isn't actually the same as an actual dream-while-asleep)?

5. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    This one needs to take place while the POV character is asleep. ;) Beyond that, you're free to interpret whether the dream is merely a creation of the subconscious mind or if it stems from an external/supernatural source. [face_whistling]

6. amidalachick

amidalachick Chosen One star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    [​IMG]

It's so much easier to write 50 words of filler than, like, 400. [face_laugh]:p

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    And if the scenes don't 'make sense', [face_mischief] most dreams are weird anyway. [face_laugh]

8. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002

[​IMG]

Exactly [face_mischief]

9. amidalachick

amidalachick Chosen One star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Sorry, I just thought of this or I would have put it in my other post. But does the story have to be set entirely in the dream, or can we show the character falling asleep/waking up?

10. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    lol no problem. ;) You can show the character falling asleep and/or waking up, but the majority of the story needs to be set in the dream itself. :)

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEE!

Getting a strong L/M vibe here.

12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
  13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @ViariSkywalker Just to confirm, do historical figures count as ECs for this prompt the way RL historical events counted as canon for the AU prompt, or do you want to do things differently this time around?

14. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    It should be an EC from the fandom you're writing in (someone who has appeared in or been mentioned by name in the film/book/game/show/etc). If your EC also happens to be a RL historical figure, that's perfectly fine to use! :)

15. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
  16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 7

Aug 21, 2006
  17. Force of Light

Force of Light Jedi Master star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    How about if Owen Grady has a nightmare about what would happen if Marida was somehow sent back to Middle-earth? I've been toying around with this idea since I got back into The Hobbit movies (and Thorin). Perhaps the eruption of Mt. Sibo on Isla Nublar did destoy the time portal on the island (It was located in the garage of the old Visitor's Center) and that somehow affected the one in Middle-earth (located in an abandoned section of Erebor in an empty room. Since this section was only used as storage, it was never cleaned up from Smaug's attack) which opened up a rift that would take Marida back to Erebor in Middle-earth, but she may not arrive at the same time she left nearly a decade ago. What if she arrived during Smaug's attack and has to relive her entire relationship with Thorin (they've been together since before the dragon took Erebor)? Even if events were to play out exactly the way they did originally, there would be no time portal in the abandoned section of Erebor to escape her troubles. I might turn this into an actual fan fic that I'll post on Ao3 (which is short for Archive of Our Own).

Owen may have had this fear since learning there's a similar one on Isla Nublar. What if that one got destroyed? Would it affect the one in her world sending her back where she came from and I'll have to see if I can score another date with Claire? Owen might have a thing for redheads, just like Thorin does in Middle-earth (in my stories, the line of Durin survives, since there's no way I'm killing off any of my favorite characters, regardless of what happens to them in the book and/or movies).

Good thing I have so many fandoms, since the only prompt I had a problem with was the second one (since none of my characters are secretive, at least not in the sense I was getting from the prompt).

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  18. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I'm not going to be able to finish my Week 6 entry on time. DRL was a darth this week :(

19. Force of Light

Force of Light Jedi Master star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    Here is Week 7:

https://boards.theforce.net/threads...el-run-challenge-2024.50059976/#post-58791284

Perhaps when the time portal breaks down (the one in Erebor, in this case, since the one on Isla Nublar has been destroyed) it sends out a premonition disguised as a dream or nightmare to the one closest to the last person that activated it (in this case, Marida) to warn them of what's about to happen (since the rift is yet to form, it's still searching for the world Marida ended up in). It makes me wonder where the time portals came from and who was travelling between Isla Nublar on Earth and Erebor in Middle-earth? A traveller like the one in that Star Trek: The Next Generation episode where the Enterprise D was hauled into a distant galaxy? [face_thinking]

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
  21. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
  22. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Well, got Week VI up with less than an hour to go.

Come What May

23. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Just posted my week six story, right before the last minute.

[Link to come, as right now it is so rough it doesn't even have a title. But at least it's done.]

24. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Much to my own surprise, week seven is up: No More Yielding But a Dream :p

Congratulations to everyone who got week six in under the wire! [face_party]

[​IMG]

(Raissa, I totally know what you mean about DRL. The last week and a half, oy. I hope yours lets up soon! [:D] )

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004