main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Labor Movement, Labor Struggles, and Labor Relations - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by InterestingLurker, Jul 25, 2021.

Tags:
?

Do you think that more workers should be unionized?

1. Yes

71 vote(s)
    97.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Australia’s unemployment rate is currently 3.6%. Anything over 10% and kangaroos start getting punched. 40-50% and they come to the U.K. for bar work.

Did this guy even study Economics?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Probably studied the supervillain trio of PPE.

3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    To be fair, I think he means a 50% increase from the current figure, not 50% unemployment, which would probably mean social collapse.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, that's what his wording indicated.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Late to this one...

I work in resourcing and I 100% tell the contact centre agents that I don't want them logged on UNTIL their shift begins.

Late isn't good as we have customers calling and it's actually amazing how being one person down on plan affects how well the contact centre handles calls

HOWEVER, logging in early can have just as detrimental impact.

If your shift starts at 8am. I just need you logged in ready to take calls at 8am. PC's load up in a matter of moments these days so logging in to your PC at 07:59 is fine as in all probability you'll be in the ACD taking calls by 08:00.

Personally, I'm not too concerned if you don't hit the ACD till a minute or so afterwards and queuing mechanics, erlang and customer tolerance means we'll be fine for those opening few minutes.

The business bosses however.......... END OF THE WORLD

Part of my job these days is actually educating them that the absolute drive for absolute productivity is actually more expensive than giving some latitude.

Also, Mr Gurner can get bent. He is everything that is wrong with senior "leadership" and whilst there is a small element of "If you don't like it here work elsewhere" in all companies. EVERY single company could actually benefit from staff investment time and recognising that by being supportive, encouraging and having an employee focus actually reduces attrition, improves well being and leads to the company being an employer of choice which reduces recruitment costs as people come to you rather than the other way round.

Also, the people facing off to the customer are actually the people who are selling your brand, keeping the customer coming back and are ultimately responsible for a VAST amount of the overall base income that comes into the business. Pay them accordingly. They may not make the big strategic decisions that the business can live or die on but without them you absolutely have no business.

//has started a new role in the last 5 weeks and has already found significant management hygiene issues and front line staff issues that need resolving and resolving ASAP. Basically £250k worth of staff investment and engagement time will actually save the business nearly £750k in recruitment cost. All it needs is for the business to decide to be nice instead of mean.

Essentially, I absolutely agree with the principle of turn up for 8am if your shift starts at 8am. Being on time isn't late, early looks better but perception doesn't pay the bills.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  6. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Slightly tangential, but I got flashbacks to high school marching band reading that. We'd be told to come in for competitions at 8am, but if we arrived at 8am we were considered "late", so you needed to show up 15 minutes earlier to be "on time." Why the director didn't just say "Be here at 7:45 Saturday morning" I'll never know, sense that seems more logical. Then again, she did strike me as an egotistical manipulator so... maybe that's why.

But yeah, regardless of the context, I'm glad to hear the younger generations are pushing back against that garbage.

7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Sad thing is that some older propagandists are spreading rumors among older voters that the new labor movement is corrupt like Jimmy Hoffa. They stop at nothing. But we know the truth. We ain't gonna back down.

I'm keeping my ban on Starbucks going. Like I said, I wish we could have a national rent strike. My gf and I are staying in the nice trailer until two weeks from now. We're gonna move into a very good apartment complex near a car wash. Our old complex (where I lived from 2019 until this year) was jut getting bad in terms of maintenance. They don't want to work, and we were done. We were done. Rent be crazy in 'Merica.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  9. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Today was interesting and historic.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    InterestingLurker and solojones like this.
  10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Las Vegas culinary workers have authorized a strike.

InterestingLurker, Ghost and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    They basically run Vegas, IIRC, so this one will be super interesting.

12. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    One thing that was mentioned in my Ethics in Police Leadership class was that the police are not only used to crack down on (or over-crack down) on legit issues, but they are often used to destroy labor movements and strikes in general. After all, this shouldn't come as a surprise. And she may be shocked that I'm learning this in a New Hampshire college course online, but the fact of the matter is that cops are often utilized to protect the rich man's property. In history, we called them robber barons.

But the purpose of labor is to ensure that workers--be they healthcare workers, writers, IT workers, interns, or designers--are meant to be able to live and provide for themselves and their families. If they can't, then I'm sure corporatists Bill Maher will be happy. But not everyone else.

The sad fact is that authoritarian regimes are now emulating how violent our police forces can be for the purpose of ensuring the status quo. I mean, I'd prefer community policing on the Nordic model. And I'd like it if police worked with social workers and were, ya know, chosen by the communities they serve. The irony is that labor could benefit to them, too, and get them the therapeutic help they need. Otherwise, I don't know what it would take. They wouldn't listen to Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Olivia, or Dua Lipa to learn anyting peaceful. But scabbing and cracking down on labor hurts everyone, including the unions. And the more people you underpay and devalue, the less healthy an economic system could or will be.

Otherwise, I don't know. The picket line is the place to be. Otherwise, I'm sure that Dua Lipa could reward her fans with some Puma stuff. I'd like some colorful Pumas for a change. Of course, I prefer a little more dramatic music, but when ya think about how record companies screw their writers, artists, and designers, well, let's add that to the strikes. I'm becoming more concerned about AI than I previously was, and I think that technology should serve art. It should not let lazy people replace artists. AI is a cog in capitalism, and I can't say I like it. If you're talking about machines that can build cars faster, than fine. But laying off workers shouldn't be an answer. The answer should be helping them to ascertain where they an attain some green jobs. So, there ya have it. Green labor. I'd rather see that than Toad of Toad Hall smelling and smoking the fossil fuels.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    InterestingLurker and jcgoble3 like this.
  13. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 15, 2011
    Reminder:

When your boss does this:

[​IMG]

Do this:

[​IMG]

14. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    The U.S. Labor Voices Opposing Military Aid to Israel

https://inthesetimes.com/article/gaza-palestinians-israelis-jews-unions-labor

15. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011

You might like this since you've seen a lot of the changes in real-time. @anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Some good news in this hellworld.

17. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Interesting, to me offputting, situation, that auto giant companies had been declining for decades to where they were on the brink of collapsing to where all of society had to assist them to recover, with that record and background the rich owners still got higher compensation, the union workers are able to increase their compensation and improve their conditions much later.

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Just like with every other bailout during the Great Recession (and the COVID recession), the rescue of the auto companies was designed to funnel wealth from workers to the top. The unions gave up so much of their power and rights only to be predictably spat on by the rich parasites selling overpowered behemoths to bored suburbanites.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    UAW President Shawn Fain proposes that unions set their contract expirations for April 30th, 2028 so that they can all strike on May Day.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  21. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011

From the Tweet:

"Belgian transport unions refuse to load and unload weapons going to Israel (both via ports and airports) and call for an immediate ceasefire

#LETGAZALIVE #CeaseFireInGaza #SolidarityWithPalestine"

You can also access the Tweet through clicking the hyperlink that says "Loading tweet..."

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
    Lowbacca_1977, Darth Guy and Rew like this.
  22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    It's now been deleted.

23. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Just posted this on another thread but bares repeating on here: \

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/03/tesla-toyota-in-uaws-sights-for-organizing-after-big-3-wins.html

[​IMG]

I frankly do not care what anyone says as Musk, to me, is nothing but a racist fraudster who, sorry, not sorry, the world would be better off without. I love nothing better to see than Fain and the unions crack the miserable turd into a million pieces. Telsa employees have been poorly treated for years by Musk. It was about time he faced the music.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
  25. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Exclusive: UAW President Shawn Fain on How the Auto Workers Won and What’s Next

https://inthesetimes.com/article/exclusive-interview-uaw-president-shawn-fain

Good article and interview with Shawn Fain.

I don't know what I think of Walter Reuther given that he was anti-communist, but I do admire how forward-thinking Shawn Fain here is. He seems to not be lacking in any energy and activism. That's good. We need that, especially nowadays.