main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    If it's possible to hate Smoltz any more than I already do, he's in the booth calling the Yankees/Sox game tonight on Fox and in the middle of everything is talking about Atlanta's comeback win against the Mets the other day.

Yeah, we know John; it's probably tough to talk about the Yankees in a positive light, considering your history against them.

2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 6

Feb 2, 2015

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Moderator star 10 Staff Member Moderator

Apr 27, 2005
    Better than seeing it on the uniforms. *shrugs*

jcgoble3 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

HanSolo29 likes this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Pssst, don't look now, but the Oakland A's have a five game winning streak.

6. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    No one would show up, even if they cared.

Especially, if they cared.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Like I say for Tampa Bay, if a tree falls in the forest, does it really make a sound?

Jedimarine likes this.
  8. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    But, there, at least, the roof caves in.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  9. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I remember when the metrodome caved in because of all the snow. The Vikes had to play at the Gopher's stadium for awhile.

10. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    That was awesome.

11. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So now ESPN is showing their mighty power by turning on the mic with Trevino while the Yankees are in the field right now. Ugh, have to look forward to this again next week at Fenway.

13. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    mute button.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  15. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Occasionally, I'll click on the MLB free game of the day, and I love clicking the different audio feeds. Get different slants on the same call from different announcer teams. Also great to turn off the annoying voices without losing the game.

16. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    "well Suzyn, I thank you"

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
    jcgoble3 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  17. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Gelyber Torres is needed but this crud is so worthy of a benching

Chromide likes this.
  18. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Brayan Bello pitched great. He's got good potential, rare to see that with Red Sox homegrown minor league pitching these days.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Fun fact, but Oakland holds the record for attendance at a Wild Card Game. Set in 2019, at 54,005.

Since then the fans have had to endure the Pandemic, followed by the systemic demolition of that contending team, a continued decay of their home stadium, and a continued rise in prices to attend baseball games in Oakland.

But, yes, let's continue the false narrative that Oakland has no or bad baseball fans and no or limited interest in baseball and ignore the fact that ownership is literally acting out the plot of Major League. Let's ignore the fact that - rightly so - the fans in Oakland are voting with their wallets that they don't want to watch the Atlanta Braves farm system play while wondering if concrete is going to fall on them while at the stadium, and instead joke about how bad the fan base is.

How many of you out there have seen a team stolen from your city and relocated because of ownership greed? I've seen it done once and failed another time. And it's always the fans fault ... if you listen to the case being made by the obscenely rich owner/operators of the clubs in question.

Juliet316 , jcgoble3, tom and 3 others like this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well LA took the Dodgers away from Brooklyn only a couple years removed from their World Series Championship; but of course that was way before my time.

21. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Also, the A's drew 2 million fans as recently as 2014, which was the last of three straight playoff appearances (before a teardown). In 2019, when they made their second straight postseason appearance, they drew 1.6 million. If not for the pandemic, there's every reason to think they'd have been close to, if not over 2 million again in 2020, which was another postseason year.

Amazing.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  22. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    There are very few combinations as iconic as LA and stealing other cities sports teams.

23. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    When someone gets mad at LA for stealing their sports team:

[​IMG]

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    My father, who grew up in Brooklyn, was never a Dodgers fan but of course he'd gone to plenty of games at Ebbets Field with my grandfather and uncles. Sure he also went to games at the big ballpark in the Bronx, but Ebbets Field was just in the neighborhood. And at the time, many of the players actually lived in that neighborhood. I can't say too many parks have that attachment to the fans nowadays as they once did.

Do you think if the Rays ever leave town, anyone would miss the Trop?

25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I know their tenure in Minneapolis was much shorter than the Dodgers in Brooklyn, but still it fascinates me that the Lakers have received nowhere the same historical grief about moving out here as the Dodgers have.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    Juliet316 likes this.