main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm not exactly sure how no revenue from ticket purchases would go towards ownership, unless the ballpark itself was in on the event and donated to charity. But the tailgating in favor of concessions would certainly be effective; along with no merchandise purchasing.

Jedimarine likes this.
  2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    The estimated "profit margin" on the ticket may be promised to charity, but the rest of the revenue from the ticket could still end up in the owner's pocket, if they cut costs to hold onto more of the operating chunk from a ticket. If they cut the power bill by lighting certain concourses, or layoffs to keep payroll before that money gets in the coffers. Hopefully the A's don't pull that stuff, and I am sure there are people involved with the reverse boycott making sure they don't without the whole world knowing.

It is nice in theory...but in practice, I suspect concessions and merchandise still got a modest bump over the other home games of the season. It's like when a moment of silence is called for...if you have 5 people, you can pull it off...50 people...tricky...500, someone is gonna whisper or chuckle or murmur...5000, the roar idles to a background chattering. If people brought kids, someone may need a drink, maybe a parent wanted to get their kid one last A's novelty before they are gone for good, etc. I am sure lots of folks came with lockstep intention to abide by the boycott rules, but others not so much. Add a little tailgating alcohol... The best laid plans...

Hopefully the symbolism translates...but if the front office is just pressing forward, they probably will just see a small blip in the revenue chart for the year.

In any event, go A's Nation.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    From what I had read, the A's ownership got backlash from Vegas over a lack of commitment to the community, and put forth a token demonstration of the same by donating all ticket revenue from Tuesday's game (which happened to be the reverse boycott game) to local Oakland charities. That's all the info I have, and I don't know if "ticket revenue" means the just the profit margin or the entire face value.

Jedimarine likes this.
  4. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Hello from the best place on Earth!

Rew, tom, Darth_Accipiter and 6 others like this.
  5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 6

Feb 2, 2015
    Ah yes, the friendly confines of Frito-Lays stadium.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yankees' position player IKF pitching for the Yankees right now at Fenway. Just one of those days.

7. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/SFTC Streaker star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
  8. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Man. Broadcast Crew team did an Oscar worthy job on this one.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
  9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    That's rough:

[​IMG]

10. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    That is one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing.

Somebody at the top needs to realize these things and say "can it wait a day?"

Heck, after the game even.

Bad look. Bad look.

Hopefully he catches on somewhere quick, and they get his Dad on that mound.

Juliet316 and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Joey Votto is back, and oh boy is he back:

Votto was never the problem with the Reds, nor was his contract. Ownership and their stingy wallet was and is the problem. Votto and his contract are merely scapegoats.

Call me crazy, but I'm firmly convinced Votto is headed to Cooperstown when he retires.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  12. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    hoping this is a guerilla marketing city connect prototype. This color scheme looks pretty fantastic and the red+white NY logo is perfect. But they churn out these hats in different color schemes like they're free so probably not.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The Cubs having their own version of Star Wars night recently.

[​IMG]

14. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I wish the Cubs could play the Pirates every game (sorry @Guidman )....but they are off to London to play the trash team from St. Louis. Should be an interesting 2 game series this weekend.

15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Yeah...this season long losing streak isn't ending anytime soon.

16. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    These ones are pretty good.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    What's so special about them? Take away the PGH and replace it with "Boston", and they're the Red Sox' rather dull CC jerseys.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  18. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    There is no reference to the "Pirates" its all about Pittsburgh. And there are subtle details that you get to see and appreciate if you actually go ahead and buy them. Plus, unlike the Red Sox, it's the team's modern colors, which should be obvious.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2023/0...ect-uniform-bleeding-black-and-gold/baseball/

[​IMG]

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I guess it's fair to say it is the team's natural colors; and you can easily associate the Yellow and black to Pittsburgh in general.

Meanwhile I'm still curious as to what the Yankees and Mets will have as their CC jerseys; probably due out next year.

20. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    It drives me nuts when they try hard to tell you about all the little symbolism in the uniform that no one can appreciate, unless you are wearing one.

From the stands, they are another bore.

DarthTunick likes this.
  21. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    So Domingo German is still pitching after 6 earned runs and his fastball is at a miserable 92mph. Maybe give him the hook before he blows his arm out or whatever is wrong gets worse. I don't want him on this team either but the negligence of the coaching staff is very concerning.

...and add a catching error to the list. Dude is not healthy

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I turned the game off after the first inning. I only feel bad for the fans at The Stadium.

23. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    The Pirates uniforms are pretty good, but I'm a fan of the solid yellows:

[​IMG]

Amazing.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Does it say anything about the state of your team if the same position player has pitched in three separate games over the first three months of the season?

Edit: And IKF, who pitched a perfect top of the ninth, just homered. Who needs Shohei Ohtani?

25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Astroholes at Chavez Ravine this weekend... could get interesting. :p

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.