main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Did not see that coming. I thought David Ross was a good manager.

Supposedly Counsell told the Mets he was staying in Milwaukee, so that's something.

Amazing.

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Please be David Ross

Edit: holy ****!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  4. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    You win!

Amazing.

Point Given and cubman987 like this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I absolutely didn't see this coming. Guess management's support of Ross wasn't as strong as they made it seem. I liked David Ross the player but he dug his own grave with his baffling lineups and bullpen decisions, especially down the stretch this season.

Ramza, dp4m and Luke02 like this.
  7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @cubman987 I think it's similar to when they Rick Renteria and were happy with the job he was doing (I know the record doesn't show it, but it was actually 2014 under him when the Cubs began to make the turn as that is when guys like Rizzo, Jake, Hendricks etc began to start playing/pitching well) but then saw they had a chance to get Joe Maddon and they took it. I think had Counsell not been available, they would have stuck with Rossy, but this is definitely an upgrade for them.

I am curious what this means for the offseason as I don't Craig is coming to the Cubs if they just continued trying to build via the farm and not significantly spend in FA as they now have a significant hole in their rotation with Stroman gone (still was an all-star last year) and obviously need to figure out how to replace Bellinger's production assuming he will gone. And the Brewers series just got more interesting next year. I think Craig is not going to get a warm reception next year when they go to play the Brewers even though he should. He did a ton with not a ton of talent and nothing significant in FA.

cubman987 likes this.
  8. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    No way I think he comes to Chicago without them guaranteeing they are going hard in FA this off season. I expected them to anyways but now I'm sure of it.

Ramza and heels1785 like this.
  9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  10. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    As a Brewers fan I’m not trying to decide if this is either my Anakin betraying the Jedi or my Red Wedding.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Don’t overreact, we’re simply bringing peace, freedom, justice, and security to our new baseball empire.

That or the front office just blew all of the money on staff. :p

cubman987 and dp4m like this.
  12. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Interesting news.

Counsell leaving will negatively impact the Brewers.

Going to the Cubs will negatively impact Counsell.

[​IMG]

13. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    St Louis inherits the division

[​IMG]

Jedimarine likes this.
  14. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Cincinnati might have something to say about that next year. ;)

15. RokurGepta

Oct 23, 2010
    The baseball g*ds might have somethin to say about Cincinnati letting Votto walk [face_mischief]

16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    They haven't let him walk yet. As Votto himself said, a team on the verge of being championship caliber chose not to pick up the $20M option of a 40-year-old player who has hit .200 in back to back seasons. Especially when they only had a five-day window after the end of the World Series to make that decision. Votto will test free agency, but unless he goes home to Toronto, I don't see any other team signing him, and I think there's a decent chance he comes back to Cincy on a one-year deal at veteran minimum.

17. RokurGepta

Oct 23, 2010
    Crafty move by Cincinnati if so. They will appease the BGs while saving money in the process. They just might be a championship contender after all :cool:

jcgoble3 likes this.
  18. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I’d be careful if I were Cincinnati, a left handed bat with a .200 average but 14 home runs is exactly the type of guy the Twins front office tends to fall over itself to sign.

Jedimarine and DarthIntegral like this.
  19. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    This is ban worthy

20. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I would say the Dinos would eat women next, so it wouldn't really be anything to inherit.

21. RokurGepta

Oct 23, 2010
    Are the Dinos one of the new expansion teams?

22. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Anything over the Cardinals is good with me

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    So Hal Steinbrenner held a press conference, gathering all the sports writers available, to tell everyone the big news.........the Yankees will be engaged in bunting more than they ever have before.

2024 season tickets on sale now.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  24. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    You didn't expect any trade news to come out of some big wig press conference rather than from actual trade reporters, did you?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
  25. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Chicago, Milwaukee’s annoying little baby brother.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.