main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Mandalorian and Grogu Box Office Thread - Releasing May 22, 2026

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Lee_, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    He has like four projects he’s working on right now. One of them is Dune Messiah which I’d say is pretty much a lock to be greenlit now. So he’s probably too busy for the time being to work on Star Wars.

2. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    He just said he dosent want to play around in Franchises anymore

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    One can hope.

4. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    People get caught up in that whole oh someone made a successful movie they should make this film and that film. And that is exactly the same way of thinking as Lucasfilm.

5. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Villeneuve actually has not made movies that are financially succesful, but that has rather been a success critically. Dune 2 looks like it can be both. If he is the one you hint at here. So i do not see what kind of argument you are making. And who knows that the people at Lucasfilm are thinking. Choice of directors has been both hit and miss - thats a sure thing. But few of them has been chosen because they had big box office hits.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Speaking of Denis, I'm sensing the presence of a coming online petition, one of great power.

Has an online petition ever affected an important decision for a movie?

7. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    To crab the next big thing where it is and when it is. Give them a movie, if their next project fails, don't make the movie. Lucasfilm.

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    If the filmmaker is actually a great filmmaker, there’s nothing wrong with getting them to make a Star Wars movie.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  9. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    There are a lot of great film makers. Can’t always have a win though

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don't know how to respond to that.

11. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Not really true though. Chinoy has no big box office success ( when you say success, it must be by box office terms) and i have not seen anyone labeling her as the next big thing. Mangold, surely not, because he has been makng films for ages, with both hits and misse to his resyme. Same goes for Jon Favreau. During the ST era, only Rian Johnson - and maybe Gareth Edwards ( he had already made a big blockbuster before Rogue One) could fall into the next big thing category. Abrams was established. But anyway, it was about Villeneuve at first - and he is the big thing - right now.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Don’t. It’s pointless.

TCF-1138 , Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  13. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think its about Box office. Box office can also depends on the franchise. Obviously its easier to hire a director who has made a critically claimed project elsewhere because the assumption is that they will make another for your franchise. Its just easier to trust apon. Doesn't always work that way though, as we seen with alot of the people lucasfilm got onboard after a critically acclaimed project and then made a not so good project. Mangod can make Logan, but that won't translate the box office for Indiana Jones. Which is odd in itself as Indiana Jones is an iconic character.

When it comes to Chinoy, I dunno thats a strange one. She directed 2 episodes of marvel show that was highly rated. But i can only imagine thats kathleen kennedy was just looking for female directors and picked her own choice that impressed her.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Good advice. But I just can't conclude this discussion without at least...bringing in Nathan.
    [​IMG]

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Great film makers won't always make a film you love. sorry if it was over complicated.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    And therefore, great filmmakers shouldn't be hired by Lucasfilm?

No, stop!

[​IMG]

TCF-1138 , EHT and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It's not over complicated. By your circular logic, we should never want any filmmaker to make anything, because it might not be good.

If they make a successful film, we shouldn't want them because we're just jumping on a bandwagon like LFL.

If they're a great filmmaker, we shouldn't want them because even great filmmakers make bad films sometimes.

So, we shouldn't want anyone to make films ever. The end.

18. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    My logic is you can't always rely on that logic of hey this director made another awesome movie lets get him involved in Star Wars because they will surely make us an awesome movie. Its the logic lucasfilm goes on, Which is probably why we had canceled movies after a period

Pattie jenkins > wonderwomen. What a Great director > Then Wonderwomen 2, Eh hmm..
    Taika Waititi > Thor Rangarok. A 93% RT score. > Thor: love and Thunder? Even Marvel said goodbye to him. Are we still getting that SW movie?
    James Mangold > Logan. Highly acclaimed. > Was given Indiana Jones. No one see it and it wasn't quite as critically acclaimed. Hopefully he still get his movie

Im saying that there is more to it than just lets grab someone who made a good movie previously and must be the new Spielberg of our generation. Its just easier to go by whatever hit film was made last.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    And everyone already knows this.

All of this is a gamble. There ARE no guarantees. People here are talking about what they'd like to see, based on their assessment of the filmmakers talent. The only thing they have to base that on is their previous work. No one here works for LFL. We're not speaking for them.

Is there anyone who you think WOULD make a good movie? If so, how did you come to that conclusion? How is your assessment of that filmmaker anymore accurate or nuanced than anyone else here? Or are you just here to shoot down everyone's ideas, and be contrarian?

20. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I haven't shot down anyone's ideas, or even given my own ideas. I have never voiced a particular director id like to see make Star Wars and i don't care too either. My point still stands never the less. Its not my job to pick the director, its just my opinion that its quite clearly not always been shown to be the best way of judging.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    So, you're here to say nothing, add nothing of value to the discussion, offer no helpful alternatives to anything, but still remind everyone that they might be wrong about something. Well...thanks for that.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    See… pointless.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Though I guess we should at least give him points for pointlessness.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Contrarianism for the sake of contrarianism.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    What would be the point?

Bor Mullet likes this.