main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Mirror's Other Side - March 27th- A MESSAGE TO READERS OF THIS FIC

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Arwyn_Whitesun, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Poor Qui-Gon. That bargain that the Chancellor struck to ensure Obi-Wan's freedom is a little worrying. Even more worrying is the attitude of the Council, if they send Obi-Wan to a planet from which escape is impossible, how will Qui-Gon return him to his own universe! :eek:

2. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    LVK1978 Glad you like it, I do. ;) I'm hoping to have a new part up soon. Thanks again for reading and replying. Mirror, Mirror was a great episode. I just had to try it in the Star Wars universe. :D

PadawanKitara Qui-Gon believes, and probably rightly so, that the Council is quite conservative in their outlook. I think they'd rather believe that than parallel universes ruled by Dark Jedi. I suppose he could have taken a chance and told Yoda, but Qui-Gon is also pretty stubborn and will usually just go his own way. He wants to find Obi-Wan first without the least amount of interference from the Council.

Sabe Qui-Gon certainly has his hands full, that's for sure! I'm feeling a tad bit under the weather today and was insane enough to sign up for NaNoWriMo (where you write a novel in a month). That starts today, but I'll do my best to have an update up as soon as I can. :)

3. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    The Mirror's Other Side - Part 12

--------------

Obi-Wan slowly came to. He winced as he had a gundark of a headache. As he tried to sit up, he discovered his hands and ankles were bound with manacles. He struggled, then tried to use the Force to free himself but with no success. Something about the manacles was blocking his Force powers.

He looked around. He lay on a couch in the living room of the hotel suite. He was alone. Then the door to Jinn's bedroom opened. Obi-Wan tensed, expecting it to be the Jedi Lord. He was surprised, therefore, to see Rian. She wore a plush white robe, her feet were bare and she was drying her hair with a towel. Noting Obi-Wan was conscious, she walked over and knelt next to him.

"How do you feel?"

"Not too good." He stared at her. "I thought he'd killed you."

She shook her head, but her eyes were shadowed. "Not this time. But it was very close. For both of us."

"What's happened?"

"Jinn choked you until you lost consciousness. Then he gave you a drug that made you sleep all night."

Obi-Wan firmly shook his head, the movement causing it to pound. "No, I mean, why am I bound like this? Why are you...?" He looked meaningfully at the bathrobe she wore and her wet, loose hair.

She didn't answer him right away. Then she sighed. "Listen carefully as I don't have much time. Jinn is not here, but he'll be back soon."

She leaned close to him, her long ebony eyes boring into his. "I know what happened to you."

As he listened to her hurried explanation regarding divergent universes, parallel time-lines and her master-energy transfer machine, although it sounded like the most implausible fairy tale, it also made sense. Especially hearing it in her soft, calm voice. Now she acted more like the Rian he knew. The Rian who, according to her, existed in another universe.

"How will I get back?" he asked her.

She sighed. "I don't know. But I'll do my best to find a way."

"But what about Jinn?"

"Like you, I am still of some use to him." Her high cheekbones flared, causing her light jade skin to darken to a deep emerald shade. "You really don't know about him and me, do you?"

"If what you have told me is true, in my universe Rian and Master Qui-Gon are very good friends."

"Friends." She frowned as if the concept were strange to her. "And your master? What is he like?"

"Wise, stubborn, especially once he sets his mind on something, but kind and compassionate."

Rian smiled, but it was a sad, empty smile. "Well, you have seen what your master is like in this universe. If you want to survive him, you must act like your counterpart."

"And what is he like?"

Her eyes narrowed. "Take your cue from Jinn. You must be hard, brutal, and unfeeling. You must care about nothing but yourself and do things that may sicken you."

"I don't know if I can do that."

She gripped his arm. "You must! If you go about slipping up the way you did last night Jinn will kill you. And anyone else you happen to be involved with."

She was right. His behavior last night had nearly cost her her life.

"But what if you told him what happened?"

Rian quickly shook her head. "He would not believe me. And, even if he did, he would promptly kill you for being a liability. No, you must adapt or you will not survive. I'll do my best to find you a way home but until then, harden yourself."

She stopped for a moment and looked uncomfortably at him. "I must tell you something else. It was the only thing I could think to do to save us both. I told Jinn you came to see me because you wanted to get your hands on my matter-transfer machine."

"What? But that's not----"

"Be quiet and listen!" Rian hissed. "We don't have much time. I told him you wanted to sell my machine, hoping to make some money on the side. That's something Jinn can understand, even respect. Then I..." She blushed fiercely, unable to meet Obi-Wan's eyes. "I do what I'm best at when it comes to calming your master. It...soothes him, at least for awhile. He still doesn't trust me, but he thinks h

4. jeday

jeday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2004
    Ahh, what a beautiful post! =D=
    Just to imagine a manacled, helpless Obi... :D
    Can't wait for more!

5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ahhh I'm glad Rian is similar to her counterpart! Poor Obi... going to have to 'play' the part of his alternate person :( it's gonna be hard... but isn't a Jedi life a hard one? hehehe

Great job!! Loved the lil prayer!! Great job!!

He still is going to be punished??? :eek: oh boy... not good not good! :( Poor Obi

6. lvk1978

lvk1978 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 27, 2004
    Super post! I loved the interaction between Rian and Obi-Wan. I'd probably kiss him, too, if he was manacled and couldn't get away! [face_laugh]

Hmmmm...let's see...he's got to be bad even though he's good but that would mean he's got to tap into the Dark Side but would he really be tapping into the Dark Side if he's only acting or would acting like Evil!Obi actually turn him to the Dark Side ?

Truly a dizzying prospect! 8-} Can't wait to see what happens next!

7. AthenaLeigh

AthenaLeigh Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2004
    Ahh, good post, though I fear for Obi-Wan. At least he knows what's going on now, and he's got Rian on his side. It's going to be interesting seeing him acting this part. [face_plain]

8. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Poor kid- carried around like a sack of potatos

9. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    Getting all caught up again....Can't really blame Rian...I think I would have to take advantage of a shackled Obi Wan too...at least for a little nibble on that chin any way [face_love]

10. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    I apologize for the delay in getting posts up. I hope to have a new one up this weekend. I had planned to put one up last night but went to see The Incredibles (great movie, by the way!) and saw the ROTS trailer. I had seen it online, but seeting it on a huge theater screen..... Well, will say nothing about it just in case anyone is remaining spoiler-free, but I have just one word. WOW! Can't wait for May!!!

Anyway, thanks for your patience. I'll try to do better about getting posts up quicker. :)

Jeday Thanks, Jeday! I know, it is a lovely image, isn't it? But the poor Padawan now has a most difficult path to follow if he hopes to make it back to his own universe. :(

Kynstar Thanks, Kynstar! No, it's not good. Not good at all. Jinn is a tad insane, you see. :(

LVK1978 Thanks, LVK1978! I'd probably do the same too. :)

Hmmmm...let's see...he's got to be bad even though he's good but that would mean he's got to tap into the Dark Side but would he really be tapping into the Dark Side if he's only acting or would acting like Evil!Obi actually turn him to the Dark Side ?

Oh, you've summed up Obi-Wan's problem quite nicely. :) Yes, that's exactly the dilemma that's facing our poor Padawan. How far will he go to survive? What will he do or what will he not do? And what will be the consequences? Jinn is not one to tolerate any sign of weakness on the part of his padawans.

AthenaLeigh Thanks, AthenaLeigh! Yes, it will be interesting to see how he does. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can come up with to test him. ;)

PadawanKitara What's interesting is that having Obi-Wan carried like that is one of Jinn's way of humiliating the person he thinks is Kenobi. See, Obi-Wan should be ranting and raving at being treated like, as you said, a sack of potatoe, but Obi-Wan doesn't know that. Another slip-up on his part. :(

11. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    The Mirror's Other Side - Part Thirteen

-------------

Chancellor Valorum rubbed the back of his neck. It had been another long day and he was eager to leave his office and go home. But there was one last call he needed to make. He activated the comm panel on his desk and, punching in the code, waited for the person on the other end to answer. Senator Palpatine's proud, leonine features formed before him.

He smiled. "Chancellor Valorum."

"Senator Palpatine. I was just about to leave for the day, but I wanted to thank you for your advice regarding the incident on Varonat."

Palpatine shook his white-haired head. "No need to thank me, Chancellor. I was more than happy to be of assistance."

Valorum nodded. "I've known Obi-Wan since he was a boy. Whatever's happened to him, I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation."

"Of course, of course," Palpatine said effusively. "I don't keep up with the Jedi Order as perhaps I should, but I have heard good things about him and his master and, as you say, I'm sure that whatever happened will be resolved quickly."

"I hope you're right," Valorum agreed. "We're lucky no one was killed, but Obi-Wan is still missing. Until he is caught, he could prove a danger to others and to himself."

"I'm sure he will be found. The Jedi do know how to take care of their own," Palpatine said in a soothing tone.

Valorum sighed. He truly hoped so. The Jedi had served the Republic faithfully for thousands of years. There was, however, growing interest among a small, but vocal group in the Senate who strongly advocated that the Republic sever ties with the Jedi Order. This incident with young Obi-Wan on Varonat would only add fuel to that fire.

"We must do all we can, Chancellor," Palpatine went on, breaking into Valorum's thoughts, "to support the Jedi. From what I hear this Obi-Wan Kenobi is a fine apprentice and has the potential to become a great Jedi Knight. Such a valuable resource should not be cast aside, but cultivated and nurtured."

Valorum eyed Palpatine. He found the Senator's use of the word "resource" in reference to the young Jedi a bit disquieting but, before he could dwell on his thoughts further, Palpatine was saying farewell to him. Valorum returned the goodbye and, as the Senator from Naboo's image faded away, Valorum wondered why it had suddenly become colder in his office.

----------

Qui-Gon looked over at Rian. She rubbed the back of neck as she peered at the vidscreen in front of her. For the past few hours the two of them had been going over all departure records of ships that had left Varonat's starports since Obi-Wan had gone missing. They were cross-checking them with information from the systems those ships had logged in as their destinations, trying to discover if any ship that had left Varonat had not made it to its destination. Qui-Gon's hope was to find a discrepancy that would give him an idea as to which ship the counterpart had stowed away on.

"You should rest," he said as Rian continued to rub her neck.

She looked over at him and frowned. "I'm fine."

She went back to staring at the vidscreen. Qui-Gon rose from his chair. They were in Rian's study at her home. It was the day after she had been released from the infirmary. Although she kept insisting she was fine, Qui-Gon knew better. She was quite pale and there were bubbles of sweat on her forehead. He walked over and, without a word, picked her up.

"Qui-Gon, what do you think you're doing?"

He turned and carried her to the bedroom. "You're going to rest, Rian, and I'm not going to take no for an answer."

"If you don't put me down this instant, you...you...big oaf of a Jedi I'll...I'll..."

"You'll what?"

She narrowed her lovely, ebony eyes. "I'll never speak to you again."

He smiled, entered her bedroom and laid her gently on the bed. "I can live with that I think. As long as I can continue to see you, I shall be content."

"But, Qui-Gon, you still have dozens of files to look through and cross-check."

"Sada will help me."

She snorted softly as

12. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    Oh yes great, Palpatine's involved, woooonderful. Aw, isn't Qui-Gon chivalrous? Haha, that was a cute scene. Well, at least Qui-Gon isn't too worried. [face_plain] Good post, me likey.

13. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    we now have paply in on the hunt. Watch out Kenobi!!

hmmm... maybe it should be watch out Palpy [face_devil]

14. lvk1978

Sep 27, 2004
    My, oh my! Palpsie-poo interested in Obi-Wan??!?! Interested in Evil!Obi...he probably hadn't heard of or cared about him until he found out that he was criminally insane...what a sly dog...

All too brief, but verrrry interesting nonetheless. I can't wait for more of this fun, fun story!

15. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    First, an apology for such a short post. It was supposed to be longer, but I was trying to get errands down and wanted to do some revising, so I though a short post was better than no post. But, I have a little time this morning, so I'm posting the rest of it since I was able to get those revisions done. :)

AthenaLeigh Thanks! Yes, ole Palpy is definitely interested in Evil Obi. ;)

Padawan Katara Good point! Palpy has no idea who Evil Obi really is. :D

LVK1978 Sorry about the briefness of the post. Will put up the remaining part in a sec. Yep, you're right about Palpy. He's verrry interested in Obi-Wan now. [face_devil]

16. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    The Mirror's Other Side - Part Fourteen

---------

"What is pain, Padawan?" Jinn asked in a quiet voice as he circled Obi-Wan in the metal-walled room where the young Jedi was chained.

"Pain, Lord?" he said, trying to slow the quick, hard beating of his heart.

Jinn nodded. "Yes, pain. Surely you have not forgotten your lesson from the last time."

Obi-Wan shook his head. He had no idea what Jinn was talking about. From the moment he had been carried out of the hotel on Varonat to the moment he arrived here on the planet Thyferra in Jinn's luxurious star-cruiser, events had moved both swiftly and slowly. Swiftly in that it seemed no time had passed before they were on Thyferra, and slowly because, since Obi-Wan had spent most of his time on Jinn's ship alone in a holding cell, it had seemed to crawled.

At one point, deciding that whatever Jinn was going to do to him, he'd best be prepared, Obi-Wan had meditated, but the drug Jinn had given him back on Varonat to make him sleep while Jinn had spent the night with Rian had still been in his system, for his meditation had slipped off into a deep slumber.

When he awoke he found himself being carried out of the star-cruiser by creatures he recognized as Vratix, humanoid insects who were native to Thyferra. These Vratix, however, with their two pairs of arms and heavily muscled legs, wore black and gold livery and carried fierce looking sabers. As they took him out of the ship, Obi-Wan saw what looked like a captain of a squad of Vratix bowing to Jinn.

The Jedi Lord gestured at Obi-Wan and the Vratix captain bobbled his head on its stalk-like neck. He walked over to the Vratix who were carrying Obi-Wan and spoke to them in their native language. Obi-Wan was then taken to a conveyance which transported him from the starport to a huge, black walled monolithic structure which was both palace and fortress.

As the Vratix took him out of the vehicle, Obi-Wan saw Jinn emerging from his transport where he was greeted by a crowd of elaborately dressed people, both aliens and humans. They all bowed deeply as Jinn strode towards them. Before Obi-Wan could see anymore, however, he was taken into a separate entrance on the side of the citadel, down a dark tunnel and through a dizzying series of hallways and corridors until he was brought here to this dungeon. The Vratix had then chained him and left him there.

Obi-Wan focused his attention back on Jinn who had entered the room alone, sealing it shut behind him. The Jedi Lord wore a loose, white shirt, cut as deeply as his tunic had been, and a pair of chestnut colored pants with mahogany boots.

He continued to stare at Obi-Wan, his blue eyes steely, waiting for the answer to his question about pain. Obi-Wan remained silent. Best, he thought, to say nothing than to say something and be incorrect.

Jinn sighed and shook his head. "Very well. We shall go over the lesson again. I would suggest, however, that you pay close attention this time. To forget again could prove fatal."

Jinn crossed his thickly muscled arms over his broad chest. "Pain is the great equalizer," he intoned in a low, deep voice. "It humbles both king and commoner. Pain is also the great teacher. Its lessons, once burned into the spirit and into the flesh, are never forgotten."

He eyed Obi-Wan angrily, his blue eyes like cobalt flames. "In your case, however, my young Padawan, it would appear the lessons were not burned deeply enough. Pain is what binds the universe together. We come into the world in pain and we leave it in pain. Pain can not be ignored or gainsaid. It knows no limit, neither in its intensity or in its duration, unless that limit is death."

Jinn reached over and grabbed Obi-Wan's chin. "Understand that?"

"Yes, Lord, I understand."

"Good. But understanding is not awareness. For that we shall need something more tangible."

Jinn went over to the control panel in front of the area where Obi-Wan was suspended off the floor by chains attached to his wrists. His arms bore his full weight and felt as if

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    HOw the heck have I missed this??? The one good thing about discovering a fic already in progress is getting to read a good chunk in one sitting, but then again when I come to the end lik this I growl in frustration and there being no more.

Excellent story, you're doing both worlds superbly!!

18. AthenaLeigh

Aug 3, 2004
    Ahhhh! Ow! Poor Obi-Wan! I think he needs a big hug. Ok, so he needs a lot more than that! Evil evil Jinn! Love your descriptions though. So much pain to forget his lessons! Cruel! Poor thing, he needs to go home right now! What will happen to him next?!

19. lvk1978

Sep 27, 2004
    :eek: :( :_| Obi!Torture

My poor punkin'! Let Mama make it all better!

Obi-Wan raised his head and, summoning all his courage, stared defiantly back at Jinn.

"Let's be at it, my Lord."

Egg-zact-lee...one of the reasons I adore him! What a brave soul!

It stabbed and pierced and gouged his soul, and rendered the essence that was Obi-Wan Kenobi a mindless, shuddering mass of slobbering torment.

Dreadful imagery, indeed! Ya put me right there in the chamber. The entire section was very, very intense -- darkly evocative.

And on a totally shallow note (You just knew this was coming!)...

He was bare-chested, a thin sheen of sweat on his skin. He wore only his black leather pants and boots...

*Heavy sigh of contentment* Not at his present predicament, mind you -- just that teeny, tiny description. Like I want my angel tortured... AS IF!

You delight in torturing us as well! Let's be at that next installment, shall we? ;)

20. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Obi-Wan just kick his butt. You can take him. Just trust in the Force.

21. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    <<Obi-Wan howled as the carrion bird that was his unremitting agony swooped down upon him and gripped him within its knife-edged wings, impaling him upon its barbed, sharp claws.

You were wrong, Master!

He wailed as the pain slashed into him and feasted on his flesh and on his soul.

You were wrong! There is no Force. There is only Pain!

He screamed again.>>

:eek:

Oh, my, not good....

Again, I have to wonder...how long can Obi-Wan take this kind of punishment before he becomes his counterpart in actuality instead of just as a facade...

I mean, even his evil counterpart wasn't born that way, he was made that way by the cruel reality of his universe...the longer Obi stays, the longer he will have to wear this evil mask until one day it won't be a mask anymore...

Then again, maybe I'm just rambling... :p

Can't wait for more, Arwyn! :)

22. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Wow missed two!!

How interesting about Palpy talking of Obi... hrmmm [face_devil] then again I could be seeing more into this than there really is hehehe

Loved how Qui picked her up and put her to bed! How noble of him! ;)

Now this new chappie... ay di me! Qui giving pain to Obi!! Poor Obi... saying his Qui was wrong :(

Poor kid.. hopefully he'll hang in there!

Great job!!! Obi angst!! ;)

23. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    I think I've read this before, is this a rewrite? Well no matter, cause if you are rewriting you are doing a fantastic job. 7

24. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Healer Leona Thanks, Healer Leona and welcome! I promise to do my best to get the next post up as soon as I can. :)

AthenaLeigh Thanks, AthenaLeigh! I hated doing that to Obi, but this is a pretty awful universe he's in and I think this particular terrible lesson is going to prepare him for what he's going to have face if he hopes to survive. :(

LVK1978 Thanks, LVK1978! Ah, so glad you liked Obi's little display of courage there. Now that he knows what's going on, we'll see more of that I think. As for the image of a bare-chested Obi, I just couldn't resist. ;) Any opportunity to get him or Qui partially or, if I'm lucky and don't get into any trouble on the board, totally nude is always a treat, don't you think? :D

ZaraValinor Good point, and, mayhaps, he'll get a chance one day. ;)

Astroanna Thanks AA! Hope to have a new post up soon.

Again, I have to wonder...how long can Obi-Wan take this kind of punishment before he becomes his counterpart in actuality instead of just as a facade...

I mean, even his evil counterpart wasn't born that way, he was made that way by the cruel reality of his universe...the longer Obi stays, the longer he will have to wear this evil mask until one day it won't be a mask anymore...

No, you're not rambling. That's exactly what I'm wondering myself. I have a plan for this fic, somewhat, but mostly I'm just writing to find out myself what's going to happen. Yes, how long can Obi just pretend to be his counterpart without actually becoming him. We shall see. :)

Kynstar Thanks, Kynstar! I plan on having more Obi angst in upcoming posts. This is just the beginning of poor Obi's journey into the Dark Side of the Mirror. :(

Jedi7 Hi, Jedi7! I remember you. :) Yep, it is a rewrite, although I didn't finish this fic when I started it two years ago, so it's a rewrite of the parts I did finish and then a completion of the entire fic.

25. jeday

jeday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2004
    No Obi don't learn this cruel Qui-Gon's lessons! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.