main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Movie Thread: "The Lorax" Revives Interest in an Animated "The Cat in the Hat"

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Nevermind, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  2. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    i cant see the archaic layers and esoteric depths with this particular sigil ( the classic wb wrapped in the shield ) lol. im usually good at that :p

3. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    How is that the story behind the logo? That's just showing what it's looked like over the years. The story would be the actual design of the original shield, why it was chosen, et cetera.

4. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Is it just me who goes I-) when you hear about yet another fan edit of the prequels? Especially since they all do the same thing; cut Jar Jar, cut Jake Lloyd, cut the politics.

6. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Prequel edits are a dime-a-dozen these days, though this one did sound interesting.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's funny that this was revealed at about the same time I finally began my own re-edit of TPM after being inspired to pick-up the project after seeing TPM 3D.

Topher's idea is certainly interesting and probably the most radical fan edit I've heard of (as far as re-edits go at least- obviously the Revisited series' new & revised special effects go above and beyond that).

It's actually rather interesting, as it seems to reverse engineer Lucas's content for the prequels: Lucas once said he didn't have 3 films worth of backstory going into making the prequels, so he spread out what he had across them (I forget the exact breakdown, but it was something like 10% for TPM, 30% for AOTC and 60% for ROTS) and came up with the other filler material to make them feature length.

Here, Topher has seemingly excised much of the filler and condensed most of that original backstory back down into a single whole. Pretty fascinating when you think about it.

8. quiller

quiller Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    It's strange but I was also thinking about this last night, in my mind the best solution would be to have raised Anakin's age in the movie by 3-4 years. This would have two major improvements, one your actor now would be better able to actually act being slightly older, and two some of the things the character did in the movie would be a little more believable and less goofy, as would the "crush" on Padame seem to make more sense. Another side note would be having him be "too old" for jedi training actually make more sense. Doing this and keeping almost the exact same script/storyline, and yes I suppose remove some of the dumming down antics of Jar Jar would remove a lot of the main criticism of the movie.

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  10. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    Not bad, Topher. Curious about his transitions considering the background music. I assume he used something smoother than audio/video fade ins and fade outs. If not, well kudos anyway.

11. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    THE LORAX HELPS BRING BACK THE CAT IN THE HAT

"If when you saw The Lorax, you got the thought that it would have been nice if The Cat in the Hat or How the Grinch Stole Christmas had been CGI instead of live action... you weren't the only one. And some of those people were apparently at Universal Studios and Illumination Entertainment (the CGI studio behind Despicable Me), because they are now developing a CGI animated version of Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat. Audrey Geisel, the widow of the late Theodor "Dr. Seuss" Geisel, is also executive producing. The task of adapting the 61 page and 1,629 word Dr. Seuss book into a full live action movie has been assigned to screenwriter Rob Lieber, who doesn't have a produced credit yet, but has previously adapted the children's book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day for 20th Century Fox. The Cat in the Hat has already been a movie once before, back in 2003, when Mike Myers ill-advisedly slapped on a bunch of white make up and... well, let's just not get into all that. Illumination Entertainment is also developing a Dr. Seuss animated/live-action hybrid biopic, with Johnny Depp already attached to star."

Yikes!