main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

8.7%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

39.1%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

4.3%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

34.8%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

13.0%
  1. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I can't decide on whether I wanted the Heat or the Celtics to win tonight.
    I guess it's a question of who I wanted to lose more, and the answer is both.
    On one hand I love Jimmy Butler and I don't care for the Celtics' fans and their smugness.
    On the other hand, it would have been sweet to see a team come back from 0-3 for the first time ever and the Finals might be more interesting.

Oh well, in any case, I am rooting 100% for the Nuggets and the Joker in the Finals anyway!

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Yikes Boston.

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Brown somehow got the conspiracy theorist from Kyrie, and not the ability to dribble well.

Also poll will be up momentarily.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    bob myers stepping down as warriors gm. maybe it is "just time" as he said, but it feels like the new cba and how much it screws high payroll teams like the warriors had to be a factor. they're looking at having zero maneuverability next year or having to trade multiple players for nothing just so they can get under the new "second apron" of the luxury tax and have a tiny bit of maneuverability. on the one hand, i don't think i would have wanted to stick around for that either, but on the other, if he had stuck it out and somehow made it work it would have been the greatest feat in his tenure.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    If Doc Rivers gets hired in Phoenix, how soon is too soon to call for his firing? Would the press conference be long enough to wait?

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I think you have to wait until mid season when Durant requests a trade

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You are not approaching this correctly. Remember when Kyrie said that he and KD didn't need a coach? Doc Rivers is perfect for someone who believes they don't need a coach.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Though I prefer a Heat triumph, I'm not going to be upset if the Nuggets prevail.

9. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Yeah kinda the same here, but the other way around.
    If the Heat win, I will be happy for Jimmy and all the undrafted heroes.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  10. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    going with Denver since they've never one

and also definitely not cheering for any Florida teams

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  11. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I think Kyrie is going to stay put in Dallas

12. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    lol

I have just noticed that I spelled won as one lol

13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    It's ok, the Heat are ok.
    They figured out something.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Call it a hunch, but have a feeling it might just be Jokic's/Denver's time. :p 14-assists in a Finals debut (Magic, Isiash, West, MJ, etc, never did that)?! Wow.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I think we might be seriously under appreciating Jokic. Like, the man gets a triple double in the NBA Finals, and my reaction is simply "yeah, that's what I expected".

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    That’s essentially how my brother summed it up last night as we were discussing game 1, etc.

17. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    it's just about the only thing that's been consistent about these playoffs, that Denver is consistently underrated

including by me

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    On the Doc Rivers \ Suns exchanges [face_rofl] Agreed. ;)
    I want Jimmy and Co. to win because he puts 200% of himself into the playoffs and is uber efficient although I'm afraid there's a nagging injury holding him back. :eek:

The Nuggets winning would be great as a milestone for JOkic and a validation of the core they have built.

Not making any predictions on how many games it'll take :p

19. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Echoing these sentiments. Probably was crystal clear around when Denver had 81 at half in closing out the Suns. Jokic is literally predicted to have a triple-double next game (-135l...Jimmy is +2200). Jamal Murray is back to the guy launching nukes in the bubble against D-Mitch. MPJ is looking every bit the steal he seemed to be if he could overcome the back issues.

It'll take Jimmy going nuts again (and he could) plus some adjustments (like, uh, playing Kevin Love instead of letting Strus go 0-10?). Should be interesting.

20. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Well I for one have been praising Jokic to the level that he deserves since months ago, and I have consistently repeated that he should have been the MVP. And that's not even remotely meant to be a "I told you so" post, it just comes to add to the argument that he's definitely underappreciated right now in the NBA. There are still some people very skeptical about his game, when the dude literally broke the record for most triple doubles in a single postseason, and he plays as a center. Even if somehow the Miami Heat win this title, that doesn't negate the fact that Jokic is the most efficient player in the league right now.

Outside of numbers, what is more important is what one of the commentators said last night. At some point in the 3rd or the 4th quarter they said " Nikola Jokic has made the right choice and the best play in every single possession of the game", and that was a true statement. The guy is simply impressive and he plays the game very differently than what a lot of people are used to. He dominates the game even if he only attempts 5 shots.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  21. Psych_Jedi

Psych_Jedi Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Go Nuggets! They looked great in Game 1, though they didn't shoot as well as usual. Jokic has mastered the game...it's hard to stop someone who is always looking to make the right play--he always adjusts based on what the defense gives him.

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I heard this point on various podcasts. It goes beyond the mechanics or tangible skills into something very intuitive and unteachable. It's something you wish the lead offensive player on the team(s) you follow have that or will get it. It stands you in good stead from preseason to post, in contrast to those players who are great during the regular season than inexplicably and frustratingly fade as soon as the playoffs start. :p

Master Jedi Fixxxer likes this.
  23. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Finally finished watching Shooting Stars on Peacock. I started it Friday night, watched the rest today. It was okay, I was really surprised that there was nothing about LeBron James in this movie I didn't already know. I think that's why I was disappointed. I was expecting some inside unexpected part of his childhood to be revealed. Worth watching if you actually pay for Peacock like I do. Not worth turning on another streaming service for if you don't already have it.

24. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
  25. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Well we have a series, thank the refs for that partially. Three consecutive opposite calls as the ball went out of play from Heat players and they gave it to them, followed by a clear as the sky goal tending missed call on Bam. At least we'll see a lot of drama in Miami. Kudos to the Heat and Spoelstra who fought really well again, but also shot the lights out of tha basket, 17/34 in three point shots on the road against a great team is crazy.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023