main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Definitely Not Improved Even More Horrible Than The Last Two Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    I don't mind in theory that Rey and Kylo's journey are similar. What I don't like is that we watch Kylo struggle with his evil grandfather arc for 3 movies, and then Rey suddenly has her own, and she gets over it in 15 minutes. It's like...hey wanna see that trick again? Roll the tape, Johnny. If Kylo had gotten over his in say, TFA, and now Rey was struggling with it in a similar way for 2 movies, and now she's finally ready to defeat hers, that would work.

As is, it feels incredible tacked on.

2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think its a JJ thing. yes.

His job isn't to fill in very detail. he will give the audience the important information. not the why or how though.

We didn't need to find out how Maz got lukes saber, why the falcon was on Jakku. the elements were there so the audience get it. then move on.

Even if you see Snoke clones. i kinda doubt we will get an explanation as to why they are there either. we are just meant to assume Palpatine was behind snoke.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  3. tymaux

tymaux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 21, 2019
    I like this info about Snoke. It's the best thing they can do now.

And I LOVE that scene with young Luke and Leia will be in the film aftet all.

I just hope that they have real FG at the end with Rey and not just voices.

RetropME and cerealbox like this.
  4. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    His job is to tell a complete story for the protagonist. Abandonment is the central theme of her emotional story. It is his job to finish that story. I’m not talking about Maz getting the lightsaber or other irrelevant details. I’m talking about the story of this trilogy’s Luke Skywalker being treated like this trilogy’s Luke Skywalker.

It is 100% true that the needless exposition is this backstory that has zero to do with our protagonist. Once again, Rey is playing the role of listening to strangers talk about themselves.

5. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    And she is. and all she needs for that is Palpatine. we didn't need to learn who Lukes mother was. why he was on Tatooine with his uncle. all we needed to know about, was his father. and with Rey, the likely biggest aspect to her is Palpatine.

Infact it will be interesting to see just how much screentime the parents get. they apparently got replaced by Luke and Leia at the end so they were replaceable in spirit.

6. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    No that isn’t all she needs. A story isn’t a checklist. Her story is emotional, as Luke’s was. Luke’s story was about a young man admiring his father and following in his footsteps. It wasn’t about abandonment. Rey’s emotional journey has been about abandonment of her family that she yearns for. You are treating her character differently by arguing her emotional journey doesn’t matter.

7. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    @AhsokaSolo I mean in the OT, we didn’t need to know about Luke’s mom, other then him asking Leia about it one time.

Her emotional journey is discovering for as much as she yearned for her family, (be careful what you wish for) because she’s Palpatine’s descendant.

8. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    So you mean, he asked Leia about her one time? And got an answer? I literally got pushback from saying they could answer this question with one line of dialogue.

And I'll say again - Luke' emotional story was about a young man that followed in his father's footsteps. His story was about his father, not his mother. Rey's has been about her abandonment by the family she yearns for.

9. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    It doesn’t matter to me if the inspiration came late or that it wasn’t planned out if retroactively TROS does what it seems like it will be able to do for not only the ST but also to better connect into and impact the entire saga.

Sidious was behind it all. He did learn from Plagueis. He has used clones since. He did it all! He’s the reason Rey lost her parents. He created Snoke and trained him. The rise of the FO being so much like the Empire. All Palpatine all along! It really is the only thing that makes sense.

tymaux likes this.
  10. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Jason didn't have a clue what TFA was about until he got the call sheets around January of 2015. Our little group knew far more than him before that point; he knew far more thereafter, because now he had access to most of the story elements. I'm really not sure what you're getting at, other than maybe misreading my original post?

To give an example: when the Kylo Ren pic was leaked by SW Underworld, I knew it was genuine because it closely matched what we had been told. Jason initially said it was fake, because he genuinely had no idea at that stage. He then did some checking and was told it was kosher.

As for what story elements I wish to believe or not believe about TROS, I choose not to believe that everything about JP's version of the story is as close to what we will actually get as some would say, unless, for example, Finn and Poe disappear out of the story entirely?

FTR I have reason to believe that Rey Palpatine is genuine. I never said story elements weren't out there. What I was implying (and I thought was clear, but maybe it wasn't) is that genuine leaks involve, overwhelmingly, visuals and descriptions thereof. Story elements rarely leak. One can infer story elements from these visuals, but one may also get told stuff occasionally about the actual plot; I know I was.

Is that clear now?

Neesh likes this.
  11. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Because its likely the whole parents thing is a way to connect her to palpatine, first and foremost. they likely wanted Palpatine to be her grandfather. and thats what its gonna come down to in the end. that she is related too Palpatine.

Which is why some will be like huh? but her parents were good people clearly... and yet the likely play is gonna be on her dark side potential relating to Palpatine.

12. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    I think must is a strong word, but I think he will make an appearance, and the movie will be better for it.
    well I guess we will agree to disagree, Rey's character arc this whole saga is about wanting to know what happened to her family and if they are ever coming back. At the end of tlj she thinks they are nobodies who abandoned her for drinking money which is incredibly painful I am sure. What could be worse is her finding out that she is either a clone, who was only built to serve evil, or she is the grand daughter of said evil who wants her to destroy the only family she has ever come to known over the past yr sine tlj. I think that story can be told in one movie. the Godfather didnt need three movies to show Michaels fall from war hero, to the leader of the coreleone family, and neither does TROS for rey, especially bc it seems this movie does not have a lot of b plots. I think the crew is mostly together the whole movie, and 90 percent of the story will focus on the skywalkers, rey, and the emperor. So I do think that story could get told in 2 and a half hrs. TROS also might fall flat on it's face. we will see december 20th

13. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    And her family and last living relative turns out to be Palpatine

14. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Once again, to you it's not about emotion, it's about a checklist connecting Rey to Sheev. Like she isn't a three dimensional character, like stories are about robots. And if they go that way, it's reason number 263748483 that the ST will be forgotten quickly and the OT will remain timeless.

And the family she spent her life yearning for didn't abandon her after all. All that gaslighting from Kylo and others was wrong. She was right. She was loved.

godisawesome likes this.
  15. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I hope if we ever see post Skywalker content, it features Rey training baby Yoda.

Darth Corydon likes this.
  16. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Its a check list. alot of the emotion is gonna be on her finding out she is related to Palpatine. and then of course you need Luke and Leia to be some if not most of the positive influence on her going forward, and that leaves very little on the parents beyond them having existed. especially when its said at the end they got replaced by Luke and Leia.

17. tymaux

Sep 21, 2019
    Maybe I'm a pervert lol but I have no problem with Palpatine having sex when he still looked like a human. I mean why not? Man in power do have sex a lot. It's one of the benefits of having that much power.

And every Empire needs heirs.

cerealbox likes this.
  18. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    She's going to find out that they were good people who died protecting her. Finding out that she's also Sheeve's granddaughter shouldn't really matter at this point. She doesn't know him. Never did. And isn't anything like him. In anyway. There's no connection to her grandfather, other than some blood. Her wanting to destroy him because he has caused pain in the Skywalker family, and in her own, is fine. But she shouldn't really be troubled over it. It's not like she ideolized her grandpa all these years, only to find out the truth, that he's Palpatine. No. She wanted her family back. She knows they're dead. So that's no even a surprise. To learn that her own grandpa had them killed, might make her angry...but again...anger isn't a Palpatine trait. It's a human one. So ... I just don't see any significance here. It's all very forced. It's only meta.

19. tymaux

Sep 21, 2019
    One thing is sure for me, TROS sounds more interesting than TLJ. It may have controversial choices but at least it doesn't feel like a boring waste of time that TLJ was. And it feel that JJ wants to give answers to a lot of questions not only do pseudo-intellectual BS.

Oryx-I likes this.
  20. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    A show of hands who actually thought IX could provide this level of explanations and connectivity back into the previous episodes as it looks like it might?

Sooo many people in the fandom seemingly wrote this all off so early that it almost feels like some are disappointed that JJ might have pulled off the near impossible with IX.

21. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I seen JJs star trek movies. its more action and adventure over exposition.

22. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    I agree. I never got the impression that luke wanted to follow his father's footsteps in ANH, It seems uncle owen didnt talk a lot about luke's past with him. He wants to be a pilot bc he does not want to be a moisture farmer. He does become more infatuated about his father after the story obi wan tells, but even then none of that gets fleshed out until empire strikes back. vader could have very easily died on the bombing run of the first death star and that would have been the end of it

23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I, like most people, just assumed this would resolve the Resistance/First Order plotline, and maybe have First Order infighting at most. I never in a million years dreamed Abrams would go as out-there as Sith Daggers, Snoke clones, and Palpatine returning somehow.

I'm largely on board with the rumors (I'm confused/mildly concerned but also recognize execution and context matters immensely), but I don't think those that aren't in love with them are upset that Abrams "Might have pulled off the near impossible," I think they just don't like the sound of the plot revelations. Which is fine.

24. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    she probably will if baby Yoda Doesn't just go full mandalorian like his "father " . Rey's Jedi order is shapping up to be interesting. Elia (a girl who fled Tehar with her brother after Kylo destroyed it ) , The MC of Force Collector and Baby Yoda.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  25. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    What’s really interesting to me about this is I know you’re super interested in Kylo’s emotional story.

uh Luke literally says he’s going with Obi because he wants to be a Jedi, like his father.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.