main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Definitely Not Improved Even More Horrible Than The Last Two Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I'm guessing that yes, she will take on the Skywalker name, but there will be something more to it than that. The ghosts of the Skywalkers will inhabit her, or it will be revealed she was cloned from their DNA, or something weird like that. I think it will be more than just getting the name, but there won't be anyone else doing it.

As to what happens next, I'm guessing that Kylo will die, Palpatine will die (for good), and the story will be left completely open-ended otherwise. On the off chance that TROS becomes ridiculously popular, then they will probably bring her back with Finn for another adventure, but otherwise I think it will be several years before we see the characters again, and they will be supporting mentor figures for whichever generation pops up next.

Darth_Tweakpiece likes this.
  2. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Just this thread?

3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I do not think Finn is adopting the name. he has even less to do with any skywalker then Rey did. and for Rey its set up fairly early for the Rey skywalker reveal. since someone early in the film asks her what her name is and she just says "Rey" and says she doesn't have a second name.

4. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    "The ST has a responsibility to tell a story well. Some of us don't think it has, and don't think the rumors sound any better. We don't owe anyone silence about that, and we won't be shamed into it no matter how annoyed some of you are by contrary opinions." - @Pro Scoundrel

5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah if the rumor is true then yeah I could see JJ thinking that Rey adopting Luke's name would be a great feel good moment to end the film on, but I don't know how well that's going to land with audiences. When Han got his last name in the Solo movie I could hear people laughing and groaning. I could see the same for Rey adopted Skywalker.

6. Jedi Dave

Jedi Dave Jedi Knight

Nov 13, 2015
    Or Luke has a "hold my beer" moment at Sidious' of idea of manipulating the midichlorians to create life, knocks up Rey from the spirit world, and that's how she becomes a Skywalker.

2Cleva likes this.
  7. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Ok.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    zackm likes this.
  8. KSennia

KSennia Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    #ReyFakewalker is what I'm calling her.

Oryx-I, ami-padme, Shamear and 5 others like this.
  9. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    I don't think general audiences are going to be outraged by the Rey Skywalker ending, but at the same time I think audiences are normally savvy enough to realize when something is unearned. The whole idea reminds me so much of the "Martha" moment in BVS.

10. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I can already hear people walking out of the theater saying, "Dude! C'mon man! She's not a real Skywalker!"

ETA: @alwayslurking I also don't think audiences will be outraged but I can imagine them thinking that it's silly and like you said, unearned.

I could see people saying, "Wait...first she's a rando, then she's a Palpatine and now she's a Skywalker? Who's she going to be next week?"

11. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    is Maz Katana in this movie at all?

12. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    She'll probably pop up when the characters start asking questions and send them away saying "that's a story for another time".

13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Folks are getting mad these days about Star Wars doing well. Fallen Order is a great game. The Mandalorian is a huge hit. TROS looks phenomenal. It's a frustrating time for some fans.

14. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    If you are sad about all of the Skywalkers being dead at the end of the movie, Rey taking their name changes nothing. That's what is dumb about it. It's not the name people are sad about, it's the characters being gone. Rey Skywalker does not bring back Luke, Leia, Han, or Ben (for his fans). It's like they took completely the wrong message from those who were routing for her being a Skywalker or Solo. It was not about the name. It was about the people. It was about the relationships.

15. Darth Nobunaga

Darth Nobunaga Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2018
    Honestly, I couldn't give less of a toss if Rey isn't a Palpatine or not, because I didn't care who she was related to from the beginning. Despite the movies' and fanbase's obsession with the truth behind her lineage, I was never even remotely intrigued or interested in who she was related to. Do you know why? Because she's still a nobody regardless.

Being a Nobody in a story has nothing to do with who you're related to---it's all about your contributions to the plot, your relevance to the conflict and struggle, your weight and nuance as a character. And Rey, regardless of which gene pool she spawned out of, lacks every one of these things. She's a pristine and bland Disney Princess with a weird, wide-eyed naivety about finding her parents that clashes wildly with a harsh upbringing that should've yielded a more callous and world-weary individual instead. Her motives start and end with her need to protect everyone due to being the protagonist and not any organic or believable friendships she's made or camaraderie she's established with Leia or the Resistance. Her Jedi Path exists because it's necessitated by the plot, and not because of any real motivation or or drives related to her unique traits as a character...since she lacks those as well. And her emotional investment in redeeming Kylo Ren doesn't come from any believable interpersonal relationships or established familial connection, but because of a need to create a shallow and forced romance that panders to the same tasteful individuals that think Fifty Shades Of Grey is the defining romance of our generation.

Rey merely exists and is an empty vessel to service a conflict involving far more relevant and important people, which is only more evident by her rapidly-shrinking agency in these movies. She has literally nothing to do with anyone, or anything, that she does. That is the textbook definition of a Nobody to me. And attaching a pre-established bloodline to her would not and will not make her any less empty and irrelevant as a forced protagonist.

I have no issue with there being suffering or conflict 30 years after ROTJ. My issue is that it's the same conflict again, and with no Jedi. That, along with the same conflict, factions, aesthetic, status quo and scenarios being rehashed, it essentially makes it so that all narrative and in-universe progression of the Star Wars Saga simply screeches to a halt in the ST films, and inexplicably recreates the previous trilogy again.

It's fake, phony, and illegitimate. Which makes it all the more easier to dismiss.

You know what I was thinking about when reading this quote? The scene with Rey and Kylo Ren in Snoke's Throne Room, re-enacting the Death Star Confrontation from ROTJ. The same scenario, the same dialogue barely reworked for a different film, even some of the same music...it's honestly shocking how much that quote embodies the malady of the ST. "Gimmicky" is exactly what I would call it.

And thumbs up for Meyer calling out the empty drama. That's absolutely a staple in all of Abrams' films, from Star Trek to Star Wars. He has no idea how to stage or lead up to dramatic scenes...only to leapfrog to them between explosions and skits of people running through hallways and screaming like imbeciles.

That quote as a means of justifying the difference in Luke's character in TLJ is just baffling. Luke is Obi-Wan now? I'm sorry, what? When was Obi-Wan a selfish, unfeeling coward who fled to a state of exile with no desire to come back, effectively leaving his friends to die without even a passing intention to help them, all so he could wallow on some island until he died of old age whilst slandering the Jedi as worthless in a pathetic, passive-aggressive attempt to dump his failings on his teachers and their Order?

The Luke we see in TLJ doesn't resemble Obi-Wan in the slightest. Has Rian's producer seen Star Wars? Or is he like Abrams, where he has passing knowledge of the franchise and virtually nothing else?

What's this?! The creative leads having a shallow understanding of what people like about Star Wars?

Surely you jest.

16. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Rey "Skywalker" - "Ben" Solo... ? Neither make any sense to me... Then again "Hmmm let me see, Han....Solo. Yes, that will be your name!" takes the cake for ridiculous name decisions :oops:

17. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I think the only thing worse than Rey being a Palpatine who then adopts the Skywalker name would be if they used the Force to make her literally spiritually related to the Skywalkers. Why would the writers think it was a good idea to go through so many convoluted narrative contortions to make Rey a Skywalker when it's a lot easier to say that she's Luke's lost daughter?

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The way it always should have been...

19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    On phone with someone she never met talking about 12h work day for droids while fighting tusken raiders :p

20. Darth Nobunaga

Darth Nobunaga Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2018
    Bob Iger reportedly greenlit the Solo movie upon being told about the scenario about how Han gets his name.

Let that sink in.

21. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Speaking of sinking in now I want to know how Kit Fisto got his last name!8-}

22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Darth_Tweakpiece likes this.
  23. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    [​IMG]

24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    What? I actually liked it.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  25. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    It definitely could have been executed better and yeah, would be way better if it was done like that. It rings hollow, though like all Abrams stuff, it’s more about what the story needs, and I do think it needs Rey to “find her family” - the Skywalkers - in the end to tie the story in a bow.

Abrams just wanted to get there without worrying about the details and only focusing on emotions. I still think he wound up in the right place, just the most vapid superficial way of getting there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.