main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Definitely Not Improved Even More Horrible Than The Last Two Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Kind of seems that again that's point-of-view stuff, opinion. People tend to feel guilt even when it's not their fault, when something goes bad. Especially in war situations.

From all we've seen in the Clone Wars & prequels movies, Obi didn't screw up, at least not beyond minor squabbles between the two of them. He just feels bad, because of course he does, he's a good guy who's willing to shoulder himself with the burden. Anakin's the type of guy to take things personally and harshly, and things escalate. He's a twisted dude, in a lot of ways, same as Ben. If it wasn't Obi's slightly-patronizing (in a totally-within-bounds and mostly justified) manner, it would have been something else digging at him that he'd make a mountain out of a molehill of. Who knows? 10 years of Qui-Gon's tie-dye-and-drum-circles Berkeley Professor monk-Oprah and constant hyping him up/feeding the Chosen One Galaxy Savior stuff as a burden could pretty easily send a guy like Anakin off the rails anyway, at least he'd find a way to internally spin it that way.

Kind of a similar phenomenon in reverse the Kylo thing. Obi-Wan's view is that he failed Anakin, even though he didn't, and Ben feels his parents were absentees/neglectful or whatever, and they weren't. Perspective isn't necessarily reality.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  2. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So the account has been suspended, what did it say?:confused:

3. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Yep, some tweets somd of you guys are posting don't work due to the twitter account being suspended or the content being restricted.

Any way of seeing what these tweets contain?

4. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Is it @sleemo?

If so, she's not been suspended. Her account is just locked. But I follow her. Let me copy and paste some of what she has transcribed from Daisy's interview with Josh Horowitz (in his podcast Happy Sad Confused)

^ these last two quotes weren't transcribed by Sleemo herself, but by people she retweeted.

There's also this interview from USA Today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...st-jedi-backlash-feminist-ophelia/1612188001/

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  5. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Much appreciated @littlepadawan91!

Particularly interesting the last two quotes. So this one is not really Rey's story either, and the title becomes aparent with the last couple of lines in the movie.

Sounds like the standard "pfff, which title do we put in here... hey, those last two sentences sounded great!!"

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Interesting to hear about the last few lines of the movie being tied to the name of the movie. This line is maybe said in the wake of a Resistance victory made possible in part by Rey Skywalker rising to the occasion.

Luke02 likes this.
  7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    or Luke rising from the dead.

Luke02 and lawton like this.
  8. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Apparently this is the exact quote:

The way I interpret this isn't that the last lines of the movie are "the rise of Skywalker", but rather that - by the time the last few lines of the film come around - people are gonna be like "oh I get it".

I don't know, it's a confusing quote lol

9. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    It's hard to tell if she is referring to literally the last few lines of the film (like actually dialogue that makes things clear), or she is more generally referring to to the end of the film (like by the end it all comes together and you get it).

10. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Thats a tricky one, also because «Rise of Skywalker» points to something moving forward, not retrospective in my view. So its a new beginning, new age, a new dawn...
    But then using the name Skywalker becomes very literal and if Rey is not a Skywalker, why use it in that context? I have no clue.

I could see someone using the reference in the last sentences of the movie, but not literally saying it....saying it ( like in a monolog or a speech) is weird.

11. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Daisy Ridley: [Reference] “[J . J. Abrams] did say the question [of Rey’s parentage] is answered. So at the end of [Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker], you do know what the dealio is.” (July 1, 2019) (archive)

MattOrgana, Knessa84 and 2Cleva like this.
  12. BloodStripe

BloodStripe Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 16, 1999
    Adding up the various factors of "Skywalker" being singular, referencing the last few lines of the film, and Rey getting a monologue...maybe that "big broadcast" rumor from a while back has some merit after all.

I'm...not sure how I feel about that.

11-4D likes this.
  13. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    Yep BDW already called the movie the rise of Luke Skywalker a few times.

14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I still think that rumor is the scariest in terms of the Sequel Trilogy’s own significance and internal cohesion.

You make the Sequel Trilogy’s climax a glorified airing of the Original Trilogy, and you minimize, dismiss, and shoo away the dramas and conflicts of the ST, as well as the value of the characters. And all that’s before we get into discussions about whether the ST’s version of Luke should get that kind of praise posthumously.

The ST *should* be trying to make Kylo an adversary worthy of comparison to Vader and Palpatine, and there’s already some risk of that idea being lost when Palpatine’s coming back. The ST *should* be pointing out how Finn, Han, and Poe blew up a bigger, better defended and more covered-in-the-blood-of-innocents planet killer in their first adventure together, but pouring praise on a the OT story instead just makes it look like even LFL doesn’t care about TFA.

And Rey *should* be the clear literary successor and heir to the heroic legacy and pride of place that Luke and Anakin occupied. But if you go and make her story all about heaping praise on Luke instead of giving her a compelling conflict, you’re again downplaying her and making this someone else’s story.

I feel like the “project Luke’s story to the Galaxy” plot would be a “forfeit” for the ST at this stage.

15. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    I don't even know what that telecast would include. And isn't there a C3PO's deleted memories come into play rumour? Nothing from the OT was deleted, just his PT memory. In which case, it would be a galaxy-wide podcast about Anakin? Or the entire Saga so far?

While that would be something JJ would do, it doesn't seem plausible. It also doesn't fit with any MSW leaks about "Kylo - the movie". Unless they identified the source within their production and using that to feed false info this time.

In general, I agree it would make the ST utterly irrelevant to ultimately just have it be a demo reel to sell the greats of the OT. Just personally, after what the ST did to the OT, I would laugh and laugh if they tore it to shreds righr back to build the OT up again.

16. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Great point because this is all beginning to sound like the problem that fans had with the end of Enterprise, where it was all a holodeck simulation or something with Riker and Troi - I gave up way before that point but I know fans were NOT happy that it turned Enterprise into this weird offshoot of Next Gen.

Plus, after Rebels, what IS this obsession with radio in new Star Wars? Leia sending a signal and expecting an instantaneous response in TLJ. Ezra's parents running some sort of radio thing like it's 1942 and the French Resistance or Radio Free Europe in the Cold War. That's not how signals in space work. (ok, Galaxy Quest but even that was years later!)

Alliyah Skywalker likes this.
  17. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Given that major actors in the film don't even know what the title is referring to, I'm inclined to doubt that broadcast thing. JB would know if the film is about Rey, Finn and Poe hunting for a Luke speech to post on YouTube. I think it's far more likely that the title means incredibly little, substantively. It's a metaphorical nod to the Skywalkers' impact on the gffa, and perhaps in a voiceover at the end Rey will talk about how for better or worse, the Jedi and democracy are coming back thanks to this collection of super special people.

18. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Whether the title represents a literal broadcast or is symbolic, it is incredibly redundant with TLJ. Broom Boy was already supposed to demonstrate that the legend of Luke Skywalker was being spread across the galaxy. Come to think of it, The Rise of Skywalker would have been a fitting name for TLJ (Kylo rises to Supreme Leader, Luke rises to legend status).

AndrewPascoe, KSennia and AhsokaSolo like this.
  19. yodasoda2187

yodasoda2187 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    I'm not an expert on Star Wars communication, but isn't that the same as Anakin/Obi-Wan communicating with the Jedi Council from different planets in the prequels? I assume they have found some way of instantaneous communication, whether that makes sense or not.

20. Alliyah Skywalker

Dec 18, 2017
    "They might have taken democracy and Jedi from us, then fought to bring those back, then either actively took it away again or sat on their butt while that happened but we all owe the Skywalkers... wait a second, where am I going with this?"

Well, at least if you broadcast the OT, I would believe in that galvanazing people. Unlike anything on Crait, I think the OT is a very inspiring story. Just leave out the ST... as it is currently going on. Hm, bit of a problem.

-LordSkywalker- and AhsokaSolo like this.
  21. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    And I agree. It's essentially "Return of the Jedi' using different slightly words. Only whereas that film's title finishes a 1-6 movie arc, this new one will try to steal that thunder as their own. I mean...who didn't think that the Skywalkers would make the galaxy better at the of ROTJ. Who didn't think the the Jedi order would get remade in their (Luke's) image?

Now if the ST was about Ben righting all these wrongs and making Luke's new Jedi order to something established and fully fledge, in all three ST movies, then I would think that TROS would mean something different. But as is, it's basically just the same thing at the end of the day.

22. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Precisely. Not sure how can some fans read all this as evidence of whatever theory. It all reads like this is the last episode of the Skywalker Saga and they needed something to make a reference to it, after Luke and Leia are gone and probably Kylo as well by the end of the movie.

Probably JJ changed the ending to make it feel more like the Skywalkers have had a huge impact on the galaxy. Kind of lile the final scenes of The Dark Knight Rises.

cerealbox likes this.
  23. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Same thing that Ezra did in Star Wars Rebels.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  24. Alliyah Skywalker

Dec 18, 2017
    Only TDJR concluded the story and characters we had been following for three movies. Just like ROTJ and the OT.

Putting "Skywalker" into the title here feels like such a gimmick to hastily (and not narratively much) tie the movies together. It feels especially weird when no living person with that name is around. Leia and Kylo might be of the bloodline but they never went by the actual name.

And the Skywalkers did have a big impact on the galaxy, just an overwhelmingly negative one. Which this ending will have to be a cutesy message that says the opposite. Not a montage of Anakin slaughtering Jedi or Luke whining on an island while his nephew has women and children gunned down.

25. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    To me this backs up the immediate theories that the term Jedi may evolve into "Skywalkers". Or that she will adopt the name herself as a new chosen one or something. It has to be something related to that and the Force and who she is...I still feel they are going to shoehorn her into being birthed by the Force itself, so she is just like another Anakin.

But yeah, it makes sense that the end of the movie will reveal that - maybe she starts her own academy or goes off into the sunset as this "force being" and even if Rey herself doesnt adpot the name she will be referred to as a Skywalker.

This has nothing to do with Luke or Anakin specifically IMO.

JediAce1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.