main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jfostrander, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    How will Cade be related to Ben?

Grandson?

Great-grandson?

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Nephew, maybe. The team seems to be dropping hints that we shouldn't necessarily bank on him being a direct lineal descendant of Ben. After all, the page we're given from the guidebook only says he's a descendant of Anakin and Luke...

I can't believe DH downplayed this to us!

3. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    I can't really say I agree with that. It's too early yet to pass any definite judgement over it yet, not really having any clue what it'll really be like, but my first impression is that it looks just a bit... "recycled", so to speak. I don't want to sound insulting, aand I know that the original SW films had a very deliberate "well-used" look to them, but everything from the sample page, from the ambience to the character to the ships, weapons, backgrounds, even illustration style, it all looks rather like it's been ripped from Blade Runner or something similar.[face_thinking]

Again, it's quite obviously too early to really form any opinions about this, but thus far, I'm rather uncertain.[face_thinking]

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh I'll agree that Han's dead and buried, no question. But if a Jedi who has a weak Force connection can survive from 190 BBY to at least Dark Empire, I'd say Luke and Leia aren't necessarily dead, in all likelihood, yeah because this is supposed to be a new era but it's not a certainty.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'll be the first to predict Allana is the cackling, old, evil Empress at this time.

6. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    And I like that. The vaguer it is, the less it affects the people writing in the earlier era. I want to see them go forwards, not backwards :)

7. lordabominus

lordabominus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2003
    i think that perhaps Cade will be running from his "supposed" legacy as a skywalker descendant. destiny, fate, legacy, whatever you may want to call it, but it stands to reason that he's at the very least, reasonably powerful and may represent the balance point in a galaxy gone mad. sith, jedi, pirates, and a crumbling government. mind you, this is all me just shooting from the hip, but apparently, this cat is running from something or someone.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Or the Skywalker name has become infamous because of Cade's ancestors...

9. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    My guess is really that Skywalker is just synonymous with Jedi and he's trying to hide that he was ever a Jedi so he doesn't want to be known as a Skywalker. That or that the populace has turned on the Jedi yet again.

10. lordabominus

Jun 23, 2003
    well, that's the obvious note. what i was saying is that assuming this takes place a full 100 years beyond LOTF, which, if i am not mistaken places ol Ben Skywalker around his teenage years, it should be reasonably safe to assume that cade is either two or three generations beyond ben. nevertheless, whatever legacy the skywalker has left on the galaxy is what he is likely avoiding. perhaps the pressure of living up to it is too great. perhaps he would rather be a more obscure individual. if anything else, this should allow for some more character development, and that they will take their time telling stories. IN ADDITION, if there are sith, and empires and jedi, you can bet your a$$ there'll be plenty of action. i hope they put us in touch with the current jedi council, as well as the heads of the sith legions......plenty of characters for us to love and hate. as much as i hated nom anor during NJO, he made for some pretty interesting reading, though i hated how he was always "around".

11. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Interesting, very interesting. I actually had a strong suspicion it was going to look something like this. One of those quiet, niggling thoughts that won't leave you alone, between the hints that John and Randy and others had dropped us, and what had been said originally regarding Legacy of the Force era (including the non-defined endpoint, and especially that DH had weighed in on it - after the disparate nature of the things originally thought up for NJO by DH and where they went and the general discontent fostered by all of that, the fact that DH was again involved told me they had something up their sleeves involving Legacy era...).

I'm looking forward to this... with some reservations, I'll admit. I was rather hoping for direct involvement in Legacy of the Force itself, the books and comics tieing together - that's something I've wanted to see for a long time, and I think this team would have been the perfect team to do it, and the Legacy of the Force series the series to do it in. But this looks like it'll be good as well. And, if the other things DH is putting out at this point are anything to judge by, this'll be good. After all, it's Ostrander and Duursema. They're like the Anakin and Obi-Wan of the comics, but without the angsty-ness and falling to the darkside. That is, pretty much unstoppable. ;)

- Keralys

12. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    I guess I'm one of the few that is not at all excited about this. In fact, I have some severe reservations about it. I won't judge now, as there is little to base off of, and I want to give John and Jan the chance to prove themselves. I've loved their Clone Wars work, so maybe it'll prove me wrong. Until then, however, I must say that I'm not too impressed.

13. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I'm REALLY happy about this announcement! Granted, this could be screwed up but with this team I don't see it. New Sith, new Empire and a new era to explore, finally! I cannot wait!

14. Drk Father1

Drk Father1 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I'm with you on that sentiment. I love their work, but I'm not too sure I like the direction of this series. I guess we'll see, but so far...

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

15. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Yeah, not really too pleased with the announcement. Smells too much like fanfic to me. I'm gonna take a wait-and-see approach here, hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

Also, what's up with the CGI Twi'lek?

16. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Wow, I really can't wait to get my hands on this. ^_^ Ooooh, this should be good. I was off comic collecting during most of the Republic series (not that I didn't like it or anything), but with KOTOR and now Legacy, I may just be getting back into it again.

Hmm, but a thought occurs to me. If Cade is a skywalker and not necessarily of Ben's lineage, obviously a new skywcrawler's gonna come about. It's so far been stated (obviously) that he's from the line of Anakin and Luke, but I wonder, what if Cade's family is only half related to Ben's children. As in, either Mara dies or Luke simply outlives her and fosters a new son. Either way, this brings some slight frightening thoughts of who the mother of this line could be.

17. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Shira!

18. Jacen-Vader

Jacen-Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2005
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats surpresive. Ohh, New Sith: are really siths? and the Lucas words , New Empire: Uhmm, a new Empire, Cal Omas is Palpy two or anything so?. and Cade is Steve Tyler; but Ben and Allana must be alive, the humans live more tha the normal(120+) in the Galaxy FFA.

19. lordabominus

Jun 23, 2003
    i guess i am kinda lost on the apprehension that some folks are feeling. i dont get it. they arent touching any of the "Classic" characters....what could they possibly do wrong?

20. Obiyodawinduvader

Obiyodawinduvader Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    I love John and Jan, and I REALLY want this new thing to work, but it seems really risky... I mean 100 YEARS LATER? Everything we know is gone! I guess we have to wait until it comes out...

I'm still kind of excited though.

Obiy

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

Oh, come on! Some of you guys...

Be excited! I could see you guys saying "Star Wars books? I don't know. It's going in a totally new direction. I'm worried." That just because it's something new and risky, then don't take the chance? Where would the EU, where would ANYTHING, be if everyone had that attitude?

Be happy! Or else Star Wars will die out by no longer growing and expanding. If you don't want it to keep growing, and going in new directions, it will be gone forever. Change can be good! It is necessary to have them, to survive.

It can't be about Luke or Vader forever. It's time to move forward.

22. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    John,

You have a lot of power at your hands at the moment, you're creating the future. You've always proven yourself to be a fan of Star Wars and youe works have always given us a glimpse of how much you care about Star Wars.

I guess what I'm saying is, not as author to purchaser, but as one fan to another, while some people are wary, and I can understand that, but while they're wary I have faith that you'll be able to pull this off, because I'm sure you're familiar with the wrath of fandom, and because you're good.

Goodluck and Godspeed with this new endevour.

-Ken

23. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Also: Cane Skywalker?

Cane...

Kane?

Kane Starkiller?

Intentional?

24. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    That's exactly where the apprehension comes from. They're taking what we know as a somewhat removed base and then tacking on what WILL happen, leaving behind nearly all that is familiar and dictating the direction that any in-between EU will have to take.

Also, it's Cade not Cane.

25. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I'm both excited and apprehensive about this. I really want to see the first issue right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.