main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Outbound Flight Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dp4m, Jan 9, 2006.

1. D-Murda

D-Murda Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2005
    I just finished reading OF and I have to say that it is by far the best Star Wars book I have ever read, though in the main story line I am only up to Darksaber. The book was absolutely amazing and I was able to connect to the characters right away.

I didn't read all the pages in this thread so I don't know if this has been said but did anyone notice how the story sort of implies that Palpatine wants to establish his rule to prepare for the Vong? If anyone is familiar with the Kotor games storyline it's almost exactly what Revan, main character, tries to do. Revan tries to take over the Republic and we learn in the second game that he does this to prepare the galaxy for a war with the "True Sith" who are in the Unknown Regions... weird huh?

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I would call Kenobi's and Anakin's very presence aboard Outbound an insult to readers. They damn well know no harm or death will come to them; it makes every combat scene of theirs utterly pointless.

But I'll drudge myself to ask this, minutely curious as I am: were they serious crew members of the expedition, or just temporary? Did they board, knowing they weren't coming back? This I need to know before I say anything further. How and why did they enter Outboubd? It's very important.

Thanks.

3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    In short, Obi-Wan was assigned to keep an eye on C'Baoth by the Jedi Council. They were temproary travellers, already planned to depart before the ship left the galaxy. They were provided with a Delta 12 for their use to leave, but when Palpodius learned that Obi-wan, and thus Skywalker was aboard, he made sure they had to get off before the flight ran afoul of his planned trap.

4. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Saved the day, Admiral. Ah, that stiffles what I was going to say.

Delta 12, you say? The model 7 came out years later. The 12's a civilian one, if I remember SQ right.

5. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Yes. The 12 was a prototype at the time, a civilian version to accompany the Delta-7. The number is likely less to do with model progression and some form of classification catergory, perhaps of use or mass.

6. Briareos201

Briareos201 Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2002
    1) droids

2) droids

7. Darthhelmut

Darthhelmut Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2004
    Finished the book and gota say, this is by far the most disapointing book I have ever read. Not just from a SW standpoint. Mainly from the standpoint so much more could have been done with it....I really got the feeling that this was just thrown together......Ani and Obi were in the book for no apparent reason and had no real impact on the plot.....you could seriously have removed them from the book and told the same exact story using two non discript jedi....I thought the ending was anticlimactic....and the fall of Cboath would have been better if it were dealt with....like, I dont know in a lightsaber battle....something else this book was lacking....you know excitement......Not to mention some sort of continuity with the rest of the SW universe......Do you seriously believe that any of the other knights or the few masters aboard would let Cboath carry on like he did...please...A few times I seriously was getting frustrated at the lack of realism (I know its GFFA)this book had......

I felt no connection to any of the characters save Jedi Jinzler, who was the only person in the book you could root for.

I liked the Thrawn trilogy and I was extreemly disapointed with this book.....another reason not to read EU.....no matter how much I like too....

8. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    ^ Obi and Ani served a purpose - they provided a reason gor having the Delta 12 onboard which was needed in SQ for Luke and Mara - funny sidenote how the spaceship intended to bring back the father brough back the son - whatever that means for Mara - Ben.

Also, I found it very refreshing that mighty C'baoth was killed the way he was.

9. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    They weren't permament members, and are not central to the plot. Actually, the entire first fourth of the novel could have been cut. The Barlok negotiations is simply filler that slows down the novel.

I notice this book had the same affect Dark Lord did with regards to the Jedi. I was so annoyed and disliked the Jedi characters that I was rooting for Thrawn when Outbound Flight was finally destroyed.

10. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    I may have missed this in the book...but did it ever say exactly HOW Palpatine managed to discover the existence of the Vong? And how did he convince Thrawn that the Vong threat was genuine? Also, is there a connection between the similarities of Palpatine preparing for the Vong threat and Revan preparing for the True Sith threat?

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Actually, the entire first fourth of the novel could have been cut. The Barlok negotiations is simply filler that slows down the novel.

This is the respect for readers, is it?

Swarm War had new faces, new powers, new ships, new profanity, new villains, new everything by comparison. Outrageous.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Palpatine knew about them from Tarkin and Sienar's reports from Zonoma Sekot (Rogue Planet). Thrawn knew about themn already, so he didn't really need any convincing.

Sudooku likes this.
  13. RedXIV

RedXIV Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2004
    Most likely, Lucasfilm told Zahn to insert them into the book, so that it would have some movie characters.

No, that would just be lame, and distract from the story.

That was kind of the point. That C'baoth embodied what was wrong with the old Jedi Order.

The Chiss had already encountered (and, with great difficulty, defeated) a Vong scout fleet. Thrawn mentions that in the book. He wasn't personally involved in the battle, but Admiral Ar'alani commanded the Chiss forces in it.

14. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    The Delta-12, iirc, is a two-seater version of the Delta-6, which actually makes some sense.

15. LukeStarkiller1992

LukeStarkiller1992 Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2006
    I thought Outbound Flight was a great read. With all the new jedi, and I thought C'baoth was aweosome.

16. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    I just *finally* read this... I thought it was good. Yes, we knew how it would all turn out... but it was the 'how' that made this book interesting. My personal favorite moment: "Vicelord!" Someone called. "I know," Kav said with a tired sigh. "The starfighters I ordered prepped are exploding."

I love how even the blustering Kav can no longer muster any resentment; just exhausted resignation.

Only one thing I have to add to the 22 pages I can't believe I just slogged through: Was it just me, or did Dark-Side C'boath on page 397 (appearance and all) remind anyone else of Kahn from the "Star Trek II: Wrath of Kahn?" ;)

17. Shyviolet

Shyviolet Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2001
    It took me a while to get into the book but I ended up liking it. However, I am at school and don't have Survivor's Quest with me but I thought Dean and Lorana never met. I thought he knew who she was and had seen her at the temple, but that he specifically said they never had any contact with each other.

And Thrawn...well...I can see some of his traits from the Thrawn tilogy in this novel, but I still want to know how he went from a radical Chiss military commander to one of the Empire's many psychopathic leaders. What would draw him away from the Chiss whom he seemed so ready to defend (by any means necessary) in ths novel?

18. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Try reading the battle between Thrawn and the Tf fleet while listening to "Kirk's Explosive Reply" from the STII soundtrack :D

19. Ordo

Ordo Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    I really enjoyed this book.

I've always been intrigued by Cardas since VOTF, but to see his beginnings...great stuff.

And Thrawn...I've always liked Thrawn, specifically because he wasn't your typical Imperial. He respected order and the benefits of having a strong established government to defeat threats. Maybe his whole purpose in trying to save the Empire in Zahn's original novels could be condensed down to preparation for the Vong invasion. I think this novel really added a new dimension to the Vong threat, Thrawn himself, and even the Remnants that Thrawn fought to reinvigorate. And I'm glad Zahn finally got to write the Chiss again.

I just wish that Denning in Dark Nest could have portrayed them as Zahn did.

And I know that people around here hate the way that Zahn implies that Thrawn might still be alive in the NJO period, but, in my opinion, that would be a dream come true. To attribute some successes during the NJO to Thrawn's plans and covert proddings would be awesome. You could even say that he died some time later, never even see his face in print again, but a mere mention would be a way to keep Thrawn fans and enemies happy.

20. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    My opinion is that his "exile" was a plan that he and Ar'alani came up with so he could take part in Darth Sidious' preparation for the Yuuzhan Vong.

21. Shyviolet

Shyviolet Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2001
    Hmm. That's a good idea.

22. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    I just started this today, and I'm already halfway through it. The book is flying by, and really has no signs of lessening the intense action. Which is good. This might just be one of the best Star Wars novels I've read in awhile. I think Zahn's portrayal of the Chiss are far and beyond the best, especially Thrawn.

The best scene (so far, anyway) is when C'boath stops the missile in midair. The image of him standing, holding this missile from dentonating in the middle of the negotiations was an incredibly powerful image, and one I hope gets a chance to be drawn by an artist. And I hope I'm not the only one in wondering how the Council can just permit C'boath to walk around all high and mighty. He's a LUNATIC!

Ah well, the story is outstanding. Back to reading it!

23. DaJames

DaJames Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2000
    There is a lot to like about Outbound Flight , but i will restrain myself to just one (sincere apologies if this is well and truly covered ground already, i only just finished the book). The insight into the thinking (and indeed, the whole character) of Thrawn was invaluable ; represented by his advice to Car'das - i will do whatever necessary to protect those who depend on me

Counter this with C'boath (page 374) I'm doing what is necessary... to keep this mission operating smoothly. This insight is invaluable to both men ; they both believe sincerely in the necessity of their actions to achieve what they believe are admirable goals. Even Kinman Doriana believes that Sidious' plan for the Republic is the correct step. Therein lies the evil of all three men, not in their pleasure or their enjoyment of doing evil and reaping the rewards (say, as in Palpatine's lust for power), but in their disregard for the innnocents who suffer as a result.

Obviously, in Thrawn's case we are dealing with a younger and more idealistic version of Thrawn. However, this book provides the clinching interpretation for Thrawn's actions within the scope of the Empire and his status as a villain. Not only does it NJOify his later actions as marshalling defence against the Vong, it also reveals why Thrawn has no problem with the evil of Palpatine ; in his POV, any ally (no matter how depraved) is worthwhile if it helps accomplish his ultimate goal of protecting the Chiss against the threat of the Vong. Although this particular book does not condemn this approach outright, a reasonably intelligent viewer can read between the lines, especially if they have access to Thrawn's later works.

Also, it is just me or were a couple of threads (namely, the matter of C'boath's cloning and Car'das presumed later defection) left up in the air ? Perhaps material for Allegiance to help bring the Zahn cycle full circle ? [face_thinking] Either way, this book has certainly reaffirmed my faith in Zahn and i'm looking forward to his next addition to the EU.

One last point, i loved the nod to/expansion of the OT : just like his son will do decades later, Anakin gets in trouble with an Aqualish in a bar. As with Luke, it is Obi-wan to the rescue, managing to mollify the alien with a drink offer. I can just imagine older Obi-wan's thoughts in ANH at Mos Eisley cantina ("oh no, not again" :D )

Sudooku likes this.
  24. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Hmmm. I would have rolled my eyes at yet another hundreth movie link, but not too far like Jawajames' old sig because I need them. I would've seen it as a juvenile prod to get readers nostalgic over those old movies for just one more moment. After all, there's heaps of products coming out today in those movie years, that you'd need another.

But hey, that's just me. :D

Hey, why not say Obi-Wan walked across the metallic deck. Readers would remember seeing him do that in the movie and think, oh wow, just like he did in the movie!

25. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    At least in this case it shows both a characther moment and why Ben believed it would work in ANH. This movie nod is far superior to the completely arbitrary clips of RotS Luke and co watch in DNT