main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Our celebration of the 20 Years of the Jedi Council is over!

Here's to 20 more years!

3. Our celebration of the 20 Years of the Jedi Council is over!

Here's to 20 more!

The One Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Aug 18, 2015.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Immortal Mod-King of the EUC, RPF and SWC star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    As it may have been noticed once or twice, I have been endeavouring to make things fit into a unified canon.

It was particularly simple to place Lords of the Sith, Tarkin and A New Dawn after the fourth Coruscant Nights novel and the Han Solo Trilogy. I also placed Dark Disciple after Yoda Dark Rendezvous and Labyrinth of Evil.

I'm less clear on Heir of the Jedi; any assistance fitting it with (to start) the novel timeline? I also have yet to read Heir of the Jedi so don't beat me too much.

Sent from the World

DarthJaceus likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think Heir's supposed to be set a month or so after ANH ends.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 6 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    FWIW a major thread is his learning telekinesis for the first time--so if we see him do it anywhere pre-ESB, it's got to be before that.

4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    In the canon continuity, yes. In a combined canon/Legends continuity, that gets trickier. Ackbar's already an Admiral and the Rebels have already left Yavin so you're looking at a minimum of about six months into Legends' post-ANH timeframe...but there's also the reference to Han being out trying to pay off Jabba, something that happened very early in the Legends continuity. So that may be a tough one to reconcile.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 8

Jul 19, 1999
    One canon to rule them all
    One canon to find them
    One canon to bring them all
    And in Sinny's embrace bind them!

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke does so in Splinter of the Mind's Eye - once consciously (in the prison breakout, with Halla's help) and once unconsciously.

I'm not sure what the first oldcanon telekinesis scene for him was, chronologically.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    HttJ would be right before SotME, in my estimation. Mostly because of the telekinesis stuff. He doesn't know if it's possible in the beginning of HttJ and starts to be able to do it by the end. In SotME, he has to learn more control. So I'd probably put them back-to-back, not very long after ANH.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Splinter is set 2 years after ANH - but moving it wouldn't necessarily mess things up.

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Immortal Mod-King of the EUC, RPF and SWC star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I suspect certain details are going to end up being nudged along, for example we have details in Jedi Trial which needed nudging.

Incidentally I moved Jedi Trial pre The Clone Wars.

Sent from the World

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think The Essential Atlas solved it by retconning out the "trial" bit - with Anakin going on a mission to Praestilyn, but already being a Knight at this point.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 6 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    o_O

ATimson and DigitalMessiah like this.
  12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm pretty sure it's going to pale into comparison next to Chewbacca coming back from the dead. :p

cwustudent and ATimson like this.
  13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    "How can you all be canon? We were taught there were never more than two, a Master and an apprentice."
    "You were taught the old ways. We are only one canon now."

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe The Official Fact File is roughly the "hybrid of oldcanon and newcanon" that we're describing?

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Just wait until you have to reconcile the Empire winning the Battle of Endor.

...what? It could happen!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    No it couldn't. That won't change. The glorious Rebellion, under the grand leader Mon Mothma triumphed at Endor. That cannot change.

#JediForTheSeparatistMovement.

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The old canon made use of shuffling events along the timeline before. So I propose it may be useful here too.

As a last silly note, I am placing Aftermath between Truce at Bakura and GoDV.

Sent from the World

DarthJaceus and cthugha like this.
  18. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Aftermath, by the look of it, would also fall after the original Marvel series (the whole Nagi-Tof stuff).

Probably at some point in the middle of the X-wing comic series before Phantom Affair, but after Rogue Leader as best I can figure right now.

Ill pm you. I've been trying to do the same.

19. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Sinrebirth how do you plan on trying to fit the ST into the same timeline as the NJO, LOTF, and FOTJ? There will be main characters in each that will never be mentioned in the other and at the same time characters like Han, Luke, and Leia will be interacting with all of them all around the same time all these events are supposedly happening.

20. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    we shall see

but likely, timeline shifts like he is proposing for these other stories. although, if say, hypothetically, Han dies in Episode VII, and Chewie survives, how is the one canon going to get out of that one?

I suspect it will be that Chewie survived Vector Prime.

Even moreso than character deaths or absentee Solo children or any of that, I think the biggest disparity will be a potential absence of a Jedi order in Episode VII.

I mean, that would probably require a purge between Crucible and SW: Legacy or something.

21. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I suspect there's a bit of pragmatism involved.

Thus far all the Canon stuff actually would have fit in the Classic EU without (or with minor) contradictions.

When it becomes blatantly contradictory, I think that those have to be considered separately, but I assume the point is to integrate as much as possible (one way or the other)

You can either go about it as:

- Everything that fits into the Canon timeline that is technically Legends (which will be an ever shrinking list)

or

- Everything that fits into the Legends timeline that is technically Canon (which will be a list that continue to grow, albeit more slowly, basically forever.

Personally I'm working with option 2.

22. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Another thing to look at is how Dark Horse handled the Alien Expanded universe when their EU after Aliens was contradicted by Alien 3, and they made fixes which required renaming characters that died and giving them similar backstories, and then it was again contracted by what some would say was an unnecessary, single line in Alien Resurrection, thus requiring a retcon of a computer virus wiping records, and thus knowledge of the history of the prior Alien EU, which was easier to accomplish since Alien Resurrection was 200 years later.

But the Aliens sequel comics starred Newt, Hicks, and Ripley, and since all three characters died in Alien 3, and the EU was set sometime after Alien 3, they had to rename the Hicks and Newt characters, and make Ripley into an android that believed she was Ripley, which they did when they had Steve Perry novelize the comics. The story itself still occurred, and had major ramifications in the sense that Earth became infested by aliens, which was a major event, much like the Yuuzhan Vong War and the second Galactic Civil War were in Star Wars. One might suppose in following that example, that the Solo children might have to become other characters altogether, and the villains of the ST took control of the remnant after Apocalypse/Crucible and started an aggressive campaign to retake the galaxy, collapsing the GFFA (which I don't think is difficult to believe).

And in the resolution of the ST (of course, a decade down the line there might be Episodes X, XI, and XII to deal with), the status quo is restored and I guess the GFFA is restored the same way that the New Republic was in a sense the restoration of the Galactic Republic, with the First Order being reduced back to a remnant. It would put a twist on the Imperial Knights, giving them a completely different origin than the one supposed, which may have been the case in the EU anyway. And the lack of this history being acknowledged by SW Legacy can be explained similar to the virus, in the sense that the EU already used the explanation of Palpatine destroying or censoring the historical record concerning the Jedi, where people like Han Solo were skeptical of the Force entirely, despite being alive during the Clone Wars.

CaptainPeabody and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It's actually fairly easy to plot the leadership of the Empire as only being confirmed between LotF and Crucible - otherwise we don't know when Pellaeon retired.

Minor contradictions canon smoothes out. Major we will need to deal with as we hit them, much as we did with Ventress and Maul and Vos.

Sent from the World

DarthJaceus likes this.
  24. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    Don't think putting Dark Disciple after Labyrinth of Evil could make any sense - Labyrinth of evil leads straight into ROTS?

It's hard to imagine the months long story of DD fitting in the minutes while Palpatine is being transferred as a prisoner from Coruscant to the Invisible Hand

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    After Y:DR but before LoE, I meant. Though everyone knows Dooku is Tyranus by this stage so there is some overlap at some point no doubt.

EDIT: As my friend put it; it's Schrödinger's canon - until things are out, they're neither in nor out.

Sent from the World

DarthJaceus likes this.