main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming The One Who Raids Tombs: All things Lara Croft

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Sep 28, 2023.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I didn't see any current threads about the Tomb Raider franchise so I figured I'd start a new one. There hasn't been a new console game released in several years, but Netflix has recently released a trailer for their upcoming animated series, which will be streaming next year. It looks pretty good, with Agent Peggy Carter (aka Haylee Atwell) as the lead.

2. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Chosen One star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Are they going to finally make Lara and Sam a couple in this?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Lol one step at a time. We don't know what the show will be about yet.

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Chosen One star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I mean, the trailer shows a photo of the Endurance crew at one point, so it's definitely set in the survivor timeline.

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It's a good thing that I've confirmed to own the most recent trilogy of games.

6. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Looks great, cant wait..

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  7. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    As cool as it looks, I'm a bit disappointed that it's yet another adaptation of the reboot trilogy. I'll still love it (and I love the reboots, too) but I was kinda hoping it'd be something new, or at least inspired by the classics. That's me being picky, though.

Also, I'm looking forward to the remasters next year. I was gonna try and complete TR3 this year, but I'm happy to wait now!

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Force Ghost star 8

Jun 14, 2002
    There was a little bit of Tomb Raider talk in the "What game did you last beat" thread earlier, because I mentioned I was doing a replay of the original PS1 games and had beaten TR1 and TR2 semi-recently. I'm most of the way through TR3, which in my opinion was the hardest of the PS1 games. I only "officially" beat TR1 as a kid (and was probably too young to be playing them, but that's beside the point), so it was a nice nostalgic achievement to finish 1 & 2.

I remember back in the PS1 days getting the "Official Guides" from Prima as well as printing out a walkthrough from somewhere online that was all block text / courier new font and very difficult to follow, but it got the job done. I wish I still had all that somewhere, but I think it is long gone unfortunately.

My newest system is a PS3, so I haven't played any of the new ones at all. I just haven't had time to commit to gaming in a long time. I've been contemplating getting a PS5 anyway, though. The TR games would be near the top of the list of must-buys (along with Star Wars and some sports games).

Happy Sando likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’ll never forget the mind-blowing immersiveness of the first Tomb Raider game. Including how fun it was to train and just hang out in the mansion and garden.

10. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I also liked that the mansion evolved some along the way to accommodate training for the new skills acquired in each game.

And locking the butler in the freezer in TR2.

Bor Mullet and Happy Sando like this.
  11. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    Whenever I make a mistake in real life, I almost always parrot the "no, that's not right" quote from the TR2 assault course. [face_laugh]

12. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Updates about the remasters = good news!

Happy Sando and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Those first titles were just so good.

jedi_master_ousley likes this.
  14. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    Can't believe they've included a Photo Mode. I'm doomed. :_| [face_laugh]

15. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    I remember playing those originals :)

16. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Ah, the scuba. I remember the first time swimming underwater, I couldn’t believe video games had come that far.

18. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but the underwater environments in Tomb Raider games usually end up being some of my favourites. Underworld nailed the vibe with its vast oceanic levels, and I was overjoyed when they brought swimming back for Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I definitely remember playing Underworld with the deep dives.

Happy Sando likes this.
  20. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Limited Run Games will be putting out a physical copy of the TR 1/2/3 remastered editions! The official TR account on twitter also said additional announcements coming May 21.

I've played a little of the remasters so far on PS5 and they're great. There's a toggle button to switch between original and updated graphics, which is fun to play around with. They've also fixed some of the early issues (like the keys being almost invisible) with update patches.

Last edited: May 7, 2024
    Happy Sando and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  21. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Wasn't there supposed to be an animated one with Hayley Atwell doing Lara's voice?

23. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Maybe both

24. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    Swimming underwater in the cisterns in TR 1 was some of my favorite gaming experiences ever. I really miss the open and exploratory nature of the games. Or at least the illusion of freedom that the games gave to players.

25. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, as far as I know it's still happening. It seems like it's already pretty much done. That one is supposed to be for Netflix.

Definitely. Replaying the remasters now and they are still very enjoyable. The puzzle solving and exploration is just so great considering what they had to work with in terms of technology back then.