main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books A/V The original intent for the "Legends" banner

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Irredeemable Fanboy, May 30, 2022.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Very true. The 2014 reboot was possible because despite the volume of material, it was still possible to clearly differentiate what Lucas considered "core" Star Wars, the "immovable objects of Star Wars history," from the Expanded Universe. That differentiation isn't nearly as clean or simple in the present era, and that's not even taking into account "interconnected storytelling" across novels, comics, etc.

"The nine episodes, two spin-off films, the Clone Wars, Rebels, and three live action series (so far) are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align... oh, wait, I think we forgot Bad Batch... and what about those couple seasons of Resistance? Do we want to include those? Okay, hang on a minute..."

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    Exactly and, if anything, the new material has come out faster across more mediums. It might be thought Legends has to be ahead with 30 years material compared to 8. But when Marvel do an Omnibus that has the entire 56-issue KOTOR run, while throwing out 6-8 SW books a month, that shows up the difference of pace.

3. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I don't imagine they will, but I don't think it would be that complicated to cut things down to "onscreen, not games/Droids/Ewoks/humor" in a re-reboot.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In effect, that would be Wars applying Trek rules.

And it can work - but it requires more transparency than Wars tends to do.

5. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    I'm assuming your saying Legends was terrible, right? Don't force me to use evidence...

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    What does the quality of Legends have to do with it?

But no, I didn't like when the First Order overthrew the New Republic. I really didn't like it when they sacrificed children to pain gods and the Empire survived.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    My bad. Sorry;)

8. harryhenry

harryhenry Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 2015
    The thing is, while there is a faster pace of material it's still just for the same few marketable eras (Rise of the Empire, Clone Wars, Between III and IV, Rebellion, even some ST) with the High Republic being the big exception there. That, more than anything else, has made the current canon feel smaller and more limited (not helped by having to play second fiddle to the films and streaming series).

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Which pretty much emphasises the problem they now have with the amount of material in most of those.

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I've never really been on board with concerns about how many stories are being told in a given era or timeframe. We're dealing with an entire galaxy... you could spend the next 30 years telling stories taking place solely in the four years between ANH and ROTJ and still not even scratch the surface of the storytelling potential the GFFA has to offer. In any event, the new canon is only eight years old; new eras will open up. They just need time.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    They have all the time and space they could need, it's more about how working on a SW story is sold.

Visions also demonstrates that stories don't need to be canon to be good

12. harryhenry

Apr 19, 2015
    I do think there comes a point where the amount of stories you can tell about the main trio (Luke, Leia, and Han) stretches credibility since you can only develop them so much while keeping in mind the events of the films, i.e. "how does the Luke of ESB become the Luke of ROTJ?" When you reach that point, you have to start writing side stories with other characters set in that same era.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  13. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    The stuff now is actually expanding the timeline more than legends did in its first eight years. Even though when we currently think of legends we think of this large and expansive timeline. However the vast majority of those stories that really expanded the timeline didn't come until legends was already about fifteen years old. Basically all there was prior to that was the Tales of the Jedi series (and it was only about thirty five issues over a period of about five years).

By the end of 2023 (when the new canon is still less than ten years old) we will likely have a pretty good description of what all transpired in the galaxy up to 1,000 BBY.

14. harryhenry

Apr 19, 2015
    The difference is that back then, during those first fifteen years, there wasn't a precedent for the sheer scope of the expanded universe that was to develop following Tales of the Jedi. Now we have that precedence, and it feels strange to see the franchise having regressed from all that.

15. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    That might be true but at the same time it really isn't fair to hold that against the new stuff just because the expectations are a little higher now than they were during much of legends run. If you like reading the new stuff just enjoy it for the new universe it is creating. And by the time it gets to be as old as legends was chances are it will have a far more vast universe than the old canon did.