main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The QI Quiz Thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by halibut, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whim_of_the_Whills

Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2006
    Aha, I think! But am probably wrong in my thinking, bah :(

You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Is this the old "Thou shalt not take thy Lord's name in vain"?

Sorry. Minus 10 for that.

Come on, this should be easy! Surely everyone knows the 10 commandments :p

3. Whim_of_the_Whills

Jul 22, 2006
    Hehe no, but I've been on a Jewish site and even resorted to the dreaded Wiki.

Hmm, thought shalt honour halibut day for thy Fish is a jealous Fish :D

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    LOL!

Why not try the Bible :p ;)

5. Whim_of_the_Whills

Jul 22, 2006
    Figured the above stood more chance of gaining me my points back ;)

Okay, will go try find a Bible.

6. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Which version of the 10 commandments are you referring to? Jewish? Christian? First tables of stone? Second tables of stone? The ten punishments? etc....

Until my questions are clarified I'll guess at "All the first born are mine" but hold the right to withdraw my answer.

7. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm using the ten commandments as quoted in Exodus in the Bible. Nothing to do with "interpretation". The 10 commands that God gave Moses on Mount Sinai :)

8. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    So, you're talking about the first tables of stone or the second?

I'll have a stab at the second tables as they are described as the "words that were on the first".

"Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk"?

9. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Hal, am I way off the mark or on the right track?

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Ooh, 5 points! Well done :D

We have the answer now!

Read Exodus chapter 34. Moses destroyed the first tablets, then made some more, took them back up the mountain, and God said to rewrite the commandments "as they appeared on the first", and came up with a whole load of really weird ones, ending in "Thou shalt not boil a goat in it's mothers milk"

Well done!

11. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Yes, the Old Testament God was a rather strange omnipotent being imho. [face_laugh]

12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Indeed. He couldn't even manage to drive back people if they had iron chariots

"And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron." (Judges 1:19)

So, let's move away from the bible, and onto something much more up my street. Alchohol!!

What makes a bottle champagne bubbly?

13. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Are you talking about all "sparkling" wine or the name "bubbly" for Champagne?

14. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

The ten commandments can be extrapolated from my post and all the ones you have minused are in there :mad:

15. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The first fermentation begins in the same way as any wine, converting the natural sugar in the grapes into alcohol while the resultant carbon dioxide is allowed to escape. This produces the "base wine". This wine is not very pleasurable by itself, being too acidic. At this point the blend is assembled, using wines from various vineyards, and, in the case of non-vintage Champagne, various years.

The blended wine is put in bottles along with yeast and a small amount of sugar, called the liqueur de tirage, and stored in a wine cellar horizontally, for a second fermentation. During the secondary fermentation the carbon dioxide is trapped in the bottle, keeping it dissolved in the wine. The amount of added sugar will determine the pressure of the bottle. To reach the standard value of 6 bars inside the bottle is necessary to have 18 grams of sugar, and the amount of yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is regulated by the European Commission (Regulation 1622/2000, 24 July 2000) to be 0.3 grams per bottle. The "liqueur de tirage" is then a mixture of sugar, yeast and still champagne wine.

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Yes, but the bible doesn't state that what you wrote came from God, it states thats what Moses said. But when he went back up, it is clear that Exodus 34 says that the 2nd list of rules are what was written on the 1st tablets - so perhaps Moses lies? Also the only time Exodus uses the phrase "10 commandments" is in relation to Exodus 34, not Exodus 20.

So request for point reinstatement is denied :p

And on the subject of points, another minus 10 for saying "carbon dioxide" :D

17. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The bubble are Carbon Dioxide.

i have seen it on 3 website references now.

One a "history of Champagne website"

One on Wikipedia

And one on a brewing guide for champage.

the article I posted was a wiki one.

I may start demanding sources for your answers fishyboy [face_plain]

:p

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Indeed, the bubbles are made of CO2, but that's not what I asked. I asked what makes it bubbly :p

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    :mad: Pedant.

i demand my 10 points back as well as I was correct (from a certain point of view) Didn't the article i post also say why it's bubbly?

20. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    A quite interesting little titbit.

When completing the building of a tunnel under the Thames the engineers and owners decided to celebrate with Champagne. They were a little disappointed when nothing happened upon opening the bottles. There was no "fizz". They drank the Champagne anyway.

Upon arriving on the surface, the bubbles began to form in the blood stream making them all very drunk very quickly. They were too low underground for the bubbles to form. One man was very ill for days afterwards.

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    After over 300 posts, you've only just realised I'm pedantic LOL :p

The article did indeed state that, but that doesn't make it right :p Minus 10 points to that site as well :D

And 5 points to Asabrush for being interesting. A great story, and when the answer is revealed, it may help to explain it :D

22. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Tiny specks of dirt.

23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm gonna give you that, Richie.

It's imperfections in the bottle that cause a bottle champagne to fizz. If you added CO2 to a bottle of distilled water, and the bottle was "perfect", the CO2 would just dissolve. But bits of dirt, imperfections in the glass etc create what are called "condensation nucleii" and the bubbles form around those.

So with the Channel Tunnel incident, I guess they had a smooth clean bottle, but the CO2 latched onto imperfections in the bloodstream, leading to illness.

Damn, this thread is a veritable fountain of knowledge!

Ok, moving on. There is a hill in Cumbria called Torpenhow. This hill is not only interesting, but it's twice as interesting as Mount Fujiyama. Why?

24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    "Tor", "pen", and "how" all mean "hill" in different languages. Therefore "Torpenhow Hill" means "Hill Hill Hill Hill".

I'm from Cumbira :p

Does Mount Fujiyama (or Mount fuji) mean Hill hill?

25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I've seen that episode of QI by the way Hal
    Seems FatBurt has also :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.