main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    But you’re fixated on one film you didn’t like. Disney’s LFL also made Rogue One and Solo, and are producing two TV shows that sound like potentially very high quality offerings. I agree with quality over quantity. But the truth is that the quantity of different things we’re getting, from very different creators (the GoT guys, Favreau, RJ, etc), means that the likelihood of some of this content appealing to you is higher. For me, as a non-fan of the PT, the idea of George, as one creator, still being responsible for everything going forward have been a death knell for my interest in SW. Now, even though the ST doesn’t really grab me, I can look forward to other material that does grab me, like the Cassian and Mandalorian shows.

Variety = the greater likelihood of quality, IMO. What I don’t like is more easily ignored in that context.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    DarthRosie likes this.
  2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I cannot believe watching and disliking TLJ has been compared to a "traumatic event". If that's a traumatic event, you've led a very easy life. But seriously, the only possible reason I can see for so many on this website wanting RJ to get "fired by Disney" is that they would see it as some sort of "payback" (which is not only petty, but also quite mean-spirited). It really has been taken personally by some, and that to me is very sad (on so many different levels).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's similar to that demographic of people in the early 2000's saying that "George Lucas raped my childhood". While I'm not fond of the PT these days (except for TPM), that's a disgusting and repulsive thing to say.

4. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Read my post again. There is no part of my post that says watching TLJ was a traumatic event.

2Cleva likes this.
  5. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    I actually happen to enjoy pretty much the whole Quantity of things I listed, at least the ones that have come to pass already. I'm a big fan of Disney Star Wars so far (except the book series, which has been highly underwhelming); the only part of their movies I highly dislike are the super whiny fans who think they're opinions are the only ones that matter.

Truth is, no matter how much backlash there is to TLJ, it was also liked by even more people. It still hit 1.36 BILLION dollars; that puts it in a club of only 36 movies EVER. I really don't think Disney is that upset, to the contrary, their 4 Billion Dollar investment in all of Lucasfilm has already profited based on just the Star Wars movies that have been released, not to mention whatever revenue is coming in from Resistance, the Mandalorian, the Clone Wars 7th season, episode IX, the two new motion picture series in the works and the new Cassian Andor series.

6. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Hold your horses there, you are doing a lot of assuming, and not very much of anything else. I don't pretend that my opinion is the definition of reality. I KNOW that my opinion is the definition of MY reality. If I had the illusion that I can express other people's opinions, I wouldn't waste that ability on some forums about art.

Good for you, if you are excited for a RJ trilogy. I hope it never happens, because I am the opposite of excited, it's as simple as that. And I would prefer the budget and the planning of such movies, to go to better film makers. If someone told you that Michael Bay or even Tommy Wisaeu were devoloping a SW trilogy, would you want it to happen? Because that's how bad I think RJ is.

I have never whined about not getting what I want, as I did not walk into the theater to watch TLJ having specific demands. But I know that I walked out of the theater, wondering why I paid $15 to watch that movie, as what I got, was a parody of a movie. So I am complaining about what I GOT. And not about what I didn't get. And yes, I can totally ignore new material. That's why I will not go to the movie theaters to watch Episode IX. To me the main storyline is simply unsalvageable after TLJ. Where exactly did I try to ruin anyone's enjoyment?

Not exactly sure what this paragraph is supposed to mean? Is it supposed to be a guideline for appropriate behavior? That sounds great for you, but it doesn't work for me, and many other people. Hopefully, the backlash for Episode VIII made an impact strong enough for Lucasfilms to be more selective in their choices in the future. So that the future movies and TV shows bring enjoyment to MORE people.

Nah, I am not fixated on one film. TLJ is in the past now, and it happened. I wish there was a way to just remove it from existence, but since there isn't, I can just not watch it ever again. It's as simple as that. But since the future is unwritten, I think I should be allowed to voice my concerns about future projects. And one of those concerns is that Rian Johnson is just not fit to make anything Star Wars related. He has proven it once, so there is an educated guess for me, regarding his ability to do better in the future.

I do agree that variety brings a higher likelihood of quality, but I would rather get 3 mind-blowing movies over the next 10 years, than get 5-6 simply ok or good ones, and 2-3 mediocre or very bad ones. Why would I want the creation of something that is easier to ignore? Is it too much to ask for a much better plan by Disney overall?
    Yes, I am also excited about the two new TV shows, and I think Rogue One and Solo were great movies actually. I didn't say that Disney should just scrap all the projects. Just have a better filter of creators.

If box office always showed quality, then the Transformers movies would be among the best 50 movies of all time. Also, I don't care if Disney is upset or not. Disney will do whatever they want, and yes, they will focus primarily on profit. But I, as a viewer, don't care one bit whether the movie makes $400 million or $2 billion. That's a conversation and an argument for investors. I only care that we get legendary movies with great scenes and stories.

Oh and if you call me a super whiny fan because somehow that presents an argument, yes, I am a super whiny fan, but I never said nor implied that my opinion is the only one that matters. This is why forums exist, so that everyone can express their opinion. I would take super whiny fan over fanboy any given day though. I would never want to not have any filter for anything Disney produces, ending up liking everything even if it insults my intelligence.

2Cleva and G-FETT like this.
  7. MaciekRS

MaciekRS Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    I think we have Quality with Quantity.
    In my ranking 3 out of 4 new SW movies are in top 6. Solo is the only slighly worst.
    And when I think about new movies and new stories I'm actually more excited about new RJ rilogy then even EP IX. It could be something new. And in reality if someone told me that NOW that I have to choose between SW film directed by Lucas, Spielberg or RJ I would choose RJ.
    Lucas is (was) great storyteller, but he is not a great director, Spielberg was FANTASTIC but in the 80s and 90s, but it is Rian who can create something fresh and start a new chapter.

8. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    We are not talking about direction alone though, we are talking about creation. And storytelling. And screenwriting. Rian Johnson's screenwriting to me is nothing short of horrendous. I would be ok with letting him direct perhaps, if the story and the plot were created entirely by someone else.

New does not necessarily mean good. But what new are we talking about? Episodes 7 and 8 have a huge amount of rehashed plot devices and concepts. This is why I am mostly excited for the B&W trilogy. Because I believe they can bring something new which would be good at the same time. RJ had his chance, and for me he failed completely.

There are literally dozens of directors out there, why is there a limitation to just three? Make Aronofsky or Tom Tykwer or even Dave Filoni direct new Star Wars movie. I can think of dozens of options better than RJ. With the benefit that they haven't failed yet.

2Cleva, Darth Smurf and G-FETT like this.
  9. MaciekRS

MaciekRS Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    Sure, why not. I have nothing against new directors. But for now the ONLY director to direct new movies we know is RJ. And I would love to see his own story and his whole trilogy.
    Filoni should think about good Ahsoka live action film :) That would be great. But first he propably needs to learn some things and show others what he can do in live action in his Madalorian episode.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  10. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are developing a Star Wars trilogy, and quite frankly I am 100 times more excited about that, than anything else live action Star Wars related. I hope they direct it as well.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  11. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    [​IMG]

They've directed.. what.. like one or two episodes of a television show and you want to give them the directorship of a tentpole theatrical film?

12. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    As opposed to 2 really bad films, 1 mediocre film and 1 good film? Yes, two episodes of a great show is better. Plus, they are much better storytellers, creators and screenwriters.

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    They’re not even directing their movies, only writing and producing, so it’s accurate to say that Rian Johnson is the only attached director we have on the horizon.

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Should we judge GL by his strike rate? Looper is all the evidence I need that RJ is a great teller of original stories with characters of his own creation.

The GoT guys are adapting someone elses creation and have created some real crap apart from that - I'm not nearly completely convinced they are the God-send many think they are.

15. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    lol at comparing RJ to Bay.

Bor Mullet and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  16. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Fixed that for you.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T580 mit Tapatalk

17. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    LOL indeed. So far Bay has released films that made more sense than RJs films.

2Cleva likes this.
  18. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    In the immortal words of Grand Moff Tarkin, "This bickering is pointless." Let's, I don't know... talk about what we think these movies could be, or what we hope they will be? Instead of this useless and circular argument of "He's a terrible director!" "No he's not!" "Yes he is!" "No he's not!"

19. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

20. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I wonder what type of villain could be in rian Johnson's trilogy. Could it be another dark lord similar to the sith?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m really excited about it too. But they don’t generally direct the GoT shows. Only a couple. In my view, the best episodes are not directed by them. That falls to directors like Michelle McLaren, Miguel Sapochnik, David Nutter, Alan Taylor, etc. So I hope some of these talents are brought on to direct their trilogy. For me, Sapochnik and McClaren in particular.

The idea that adapting existing written material to the screen is somehow easier or lesser than creating wholly original content, needs to die. It’s a difficult and very creative process. In this case, B&W took what are IMO mediocre books and turned them into excellent television. With the help of some great writers and directors.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    DarthFixxxer likes this.
  22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    While it's not easy, I definitely think it's easier. You have established characters, structures and lore meaning a very difficult part of the process has already been completed. That's not to say the other parts aren't difficult unto themselves, but the very fact that one less difficult part is needed makes it, by definition, easier. I definitely think the GoT guys have done some great work on the series, but I think their ability to create worlds from scratch (not to mention direct feature films) has yet to be fully tested. That's not to say they can't do it very well.

I also don't think they are 'lesser' for having primarily adapted someone else material. It's something that not everyone can do well. Someone could be fantastic at world building but be terrible at adaption and visa versa. But their new job requires a lot of world building (potentially) so I'm not confident they have that particular skill set.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I just don’t think the world-building is entirely their job. There are hundreds of people at LFL that can help flesh out the details of the world. Plus, the Star Wars galaxy has had a lot of world-building already - since 1977 - so they’re not creating a world entirely from scratch.

And if it’s set in a familiar time period, like the dark times, etc? That issue goes away entirely.

24. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    If Benioff & Weiss do in fact set their films in the Old Republic era, I think they'll have the advantage of semi-adaptation and a Lucasfilm art department who's very keen to experiment with more medieval designs, as per an interview Pablo Hidalgo gave some months ago. While I don't think they're going to be adapting specific EU storylines very closely, I kind of expect they'll liberally pull from pre-existing materials, and I wouldn't be surprised to see NuCanon takes on fan favorites like Revan or Darth Bane, but without regard for when those characters once lived in relation to each other in the old EU. With them I think it'll be more about telling a large, sprawling story that effects the Galaxy on the widest possible scale, but I have the feeling some characters might end up too thinly sketched out.

With Johnson, I kind of expect his trilogy to have the scope and scale of the OT and ST. We'll see a fair bit of the galaxy, but it won't focus on the macro too much; the narrative will probably be more intimately based around a handful of heroes and villains. I think his world-building task will likely be a bit harder than Benioff & Weiss', then, especially since I feel like he'll be asking more from the art department in regards to designs.

I have no source for any of this speculation other than the voices inside my head.

DarthFixxxer and Bor Mullet like this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    As B&W’s characters, even amidst a huge epic story like GoT, are very richly sketched, I don’t have the same fear of thin characters that you do. Yes, they’ll be making 8 hours or so of movies, and not not 80 hours of a show, which will constrain the characterization. But I actually think they’re better at the small picture than the big one. As storytellers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.