main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    @Kit' I can DM you the link to my AO3 or FFN if you'd like. Or I could post it here if you'd desire.

2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    @Kit' I can DM you the link to my AO3 or FFN if you'd like. Or I could post it here if you'd desire.[/QUOTE]

A DM of the AO3 link would be appreciated. Not sure I'll get to it before the holidays though (December). Too much marking in the meantime.

3. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    Done and done.

Funnily enough I'm also imagining craft brewing in a galaxy far far away and came up with the first craft brewery for it. Naboo's Theed Ale Works.

4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    A lot of my stories begin with initial early scenes and premises, often with some later developments and a final resolution in mind, but with the actual mechanics of an ending vague and underdeveloped. In most of my recent works I've started the drafting process with question marks over the penultimate chapters where all the big climax stuff happens. I find that the natural evolution of the earlier parts of a story can lead to a clear goal for the finale, often with better integrated thematic cohesion. I guess I'm more of a starter guy, happy to set up an interesting concept but unsure how to wrap it all up until I've explored the territory more fully.

As for character stories though, I'm more of a 'and the story goes on' kinda writer, deferring any complete shutting down of possibilities for a continuation. I have a pretty strong focus on one long-running storyline, and when one contained story ends my next project usually ends up being the sequel/follow-up. I've had a lot of fun building on old developments and finding new nuances, with only a few of my characters getting definitive endings.

5. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    Sometimes I've done full on character sheets. Other times I let characters develop themselves as I write.

GregMcP likes this.
  6. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I don't suppose anyone has ever come up with rules for smashball in Star Wars.
    The wook doesn't seem to be a lot of help here.
    Got a few theories in my head but want to expand on them if given the chance.

7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @ConservativeJedi321 I would suggest getting in touch with @Thumper09. She wrote a wonderful series of fics about GFFA sports recently, and while they didn't feature smashball, she may have given it some thought.

8. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Would love to hear advice @Thumper09.
    My first thought was football-light, but I'd like to be more creative than that.
    It helps that the setting I am placing it in is somewhat more childish and academic, so it doesn't need to be too complicated. I'm just looking for idea's.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  9. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I'm afraid I don't have anything concrete to give you for smashball that's based in canon, but here are my scattered ideas.

Usually when the Wook doesn't have much (like in this case. Even the category is really slim), I check out the sources to see if there's something I own that might expand on things a bit. Smashball seems to be nothing but "mentioned only," so that doesn't help here.

Have you seen the article "Take Me Out to the Ball Game: Sports in the Star Wars Galaxy"? It lists smashball but doesn't have any more info than the Wook does, but on that page there are several other ball sports discussed that might spark some ideas for what your version of smashball would look like.

The weird thing to me about smashball is that it's described as "a violent ball sport," and then two sentences later it's said to have been played at the Jedi Temple, including by Qui-Gon and Dooku. Those two notions seem contradictory in my head. :p Sure, maybe the Jedi play a more benign version of the game, but it still strikes me as an odd mismatch. My attempt to reconcile that and based on the "smash" in the name make me think of something akin to an intense, full-field dodgeball where players get "smashed" by the ball. What that would mean for a point system or rules, I have no idea, LOL. (Maybe different balls have different point values, and hitting someone with it gives someone those points?) I could see a football or rugby type of game like you said too, where the players are "smashing" against each other. It probably just depends on what you define as the smasher, the smashee, and the object of smashing.

Maybe someone else has seen or developed some rules or info as well. Good luck with it! [face_peace]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  10. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Thank you for the advice, I've had similar thoughts running through my head. Specifically the questions concerning exactly how the Jedi played it.
    My current rational is that there a more than one version of the game: the kind used by the professionals which is quite brutal, the kind used by school children which is basically a glorified version of tag, and the kind used by the Jedi which is a comfy middle.
    Some combination of football or dodgeball was how I imagined it, and I have been working off that assumption so far. The big difficulty is properly star wars-ifying it.

In one of my earlier plans for it felt a little too much like Quidditch, I think my current idea is workable, I've taken a lot of inspiration from the games I played in my childhood in gym class. It just seemed like an opportune game for me to throw into my current fanfiction since it is played by the Jedi and I want some lighter moments to break up the drama.

11. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    [face_laugh]

@ConservativeJedi321 Here's an idea I had during the night: how about having the ball itself as the object of smashing? By which I mean, the purpose of the game isn't only to get the ball to the goalposts, but also to smash it into the goalposts as violently as possible in order to score more points. You could have a more physical version of the game played outside the Jedi Temple where players crash into each other American football-style, and a more "civilised" one played in the Jedi Temple, but both versions require that the ball gets smashed in the end.

12. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Hmmm, that is very creative @Chyntuck, and I could easily work that into my existing framework. Thanks!

13. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    The new year 2024 is rapidly approaching, and I thought it would be fun to once again talk about or set our fanfic resolutions for 2024. [face_party]

My fanfic resolutions for 2024 are as follows:

1. To continue to chip away at and maybe even finish some of my longer term, in progress works. It was satisfying to be able to work on and finish some of those in 2023, and I would love to carry that momentum forward into 2024.

2. To go on experimenting with a variety of genres, voices, writing styles, and writing techniques in 2024. I really enjoyed experimenting with different story structures, point of views, and tenses in 2023, and I think I could have fun doing so again in 2024.

3. To write more AU's and OC's. I had a blast branching out into writing more AU's and OC's in 2023, so that is another trend I would be excited to continue into 2024.

How about you? What are your writing goals and resolutions for 2024?

I'd love to hear them:D

14. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Heh. I was just making my own little private list as you were posting @devilinthedetails!

I'm happy to say that I achieved my fanfic goals in 2023 (and let me tell you, that's a first), so I'll try to keep the momentum and be ambitious in 2024:
    1. I'll complete three of my multi-chapter WIPs. Yes, three. (I still have 7 of those)
    2. I'll write or finish writing at least one story for each of my on-going one-shot threads (I have 7 of those too)
    3. I'll write at least two NSWFF stories. I never wrote in other fandoms before, but I spent a lot more time reading NSWFF this year thanks to the amazing writers we have on the boards, and I want to participate.
    4. For the Kessel Run and the Fanfic Olympics, I'll allow my muse to run wild. For other challenges, I'll try to restrain myself to participating only as part of my one-shot goal above.
    5. I won’t be able to be as generous with my reviews as I was in 2023, but I solemnly swear that I will not revert to my lurker habits, I will not.​

15. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    I've got a very simple goal for myself.
    If I start a fic I'm going to finish it.
    Got a couple others rocking around in my head right now but I'm putting all my energy into one at a time, so I don't lose the script (Metaphorically or literally).
    I've lost focus on far too many already since doing my first one. I want to give my stories their due.

Happy Sando, Chyntuck, Kahara and 4 others like this.
  16. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    My 2024 Fanfiction Resolutions:

1. Tame Plot Bunnies I have racing through my head
    2. Finish Tides of Darkness and refine its sequels out

17. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    My 2024 Fanfic Resolutions:

1: Manage a healthy balance of work life and writing periods for a better schedule.
    2: Experiment with a self-insert deconstruction/reconstruction story that's been laying bare in my notes.
    3: Experiment with the pulp/horror genres, in place of the more complicated romance genre (Had some difficulties with writing romance at college, don't ask)
    4: Try a hand at poetry (No really, I'm interested in trying out poetry.)

Happy Sando, Chyntuck, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hooray for resolution time! [face_dancing] Thanks so much for getting the ball rolling with these, @devilinthedetails. No guarantee how far I’ll get with the following, but a girl can always shoot for the moon…

1. Complete, or at least make substantial headway on, the four WIPs known to my Google Docs as “Honor Guard Ball story,” “Zeb and cat story,” “Heat (new version),” and “TMR postscript Spring Bingo.”
    2. Plan out and at very least start writing The Book of Gand, Part the Fifth (which, if all goes as planned, will be its final part).
    3. In one note in my Evernote I keep a list of challenge prompts I’ve taken in various non-deadline roulettes, etc. over the years (and some of them, I blush to say, really do go back multiple years [face_blush]). Of those, I shall try to finish at least three (3).
    [face_good_luck]

19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Finish a few.
    Read a few.
    Maybe even comment on a few.

Not complicated.

20. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    My 2024 Fanfic Resolutions:

1. Write a story that doesn't have cats in it
    2. Read things that have cats in it to make up for it
    3. Write more stories about cats to make up for that one story not about cats
    4. Review more stories

21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Maybe write a musical about... Cats.

22. amidalachick

amidalachick Chosen One star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    My 2024 fanfic resolutions are basically the same as last year's:

1) Enjoy the things I enjoy, tell the stories I want to tell, and don't let random strangers screaming on the internet stop me.
    2) Leave a comment when I read something I like.
    3) Finish (write, edit, and post) a WIP (for the purposes of this goal, I'm including oneshots as WIPs).

brodiew, gizkaspice, Chyntuck and 6 others like this.
  23. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    1. Write at least one thing that I actually post.
    2. Review something every week if possible.

That'll do for a start! ;)

24. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    1. Make y'all cry. In the good way. With a story.
    2. Not let the above be the only fic I post this year.

Chyntuck, Kahara, Happy Sando and 3 others like this.
  25. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Fan Fiction Resolutions 2024
    My writing over the last year has been sporadic at best and I have to strike while the iron is hot if a new, or old, fandom strikes my fancy.
    1. Write more.
    2. Take part in challenges that are realistic for me.
    3. Create a new OC(s)

Srcibble Pad group question:

This question is specific to Vulcans in Star Trek, but could be applied to all races that have a cultural methodology that homogenizes behaviors and thought processes. How would you give a character a distinct personality when their culture all but erases the expression of emotions. When being austere is the norm, what nuggets would you add to make your character an individual.

How are Spock and Tuvok different outside their different life experiences when they present the same 'face'?
    How is T'Pring different from T'Pol. This one seems a little easier to me, but the questions of individuality remains.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024