main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The sudden change from Republic to Empire.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Brer79, May 6, 2022.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't Lucas put the 'Jango bumps his head' moment into AOTC, specifically as a nod to the 'stormtrooper bumps his head' scene in ANH, specifically to emphasise that this trooper was a Jango clone and that occasional klutziness is a Jango trait that the clones share?

Disney and Legends both took the approach that the clones were mostly (but not completely) phased out around ANH - but that doesn't mean that Lucas intended it that way.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I didn't mean in-universe, I meant in Lucas' mind.

On the AOTC commentary he refers to the clones as stormtroopers, and he points out the gag where Jango hits his head, and, referring to the goof where a stormtrooper hits his head, jokes that there might be something genetic about the tendency to hit your head (implying that the stormtroopers got that gene from Jango). So I think that, at least when Lucas made AOTC, to his mind, the OT stormtroopers are clones.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by Iron_Lord.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If the tie-in writers had gotten their info from Lucas, it may have been as early as ANH, that he'd had that concept, with those writers getting it passed on to them:

STAR WARS OFFICIAL POSTER MONTHLY #4
    Published January 1978 by Galaxy Publications. Text writers Jon Trux, John May, Anthony Fredrickson.

http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_global.asp?Image=timetales/misc/arcana/post4-03.jpg

Arawn_Fenn and Count Yubnub like this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If Lucas had Morrison dub all the Stormtrooper's dialogue in 04, it wouldn't be an issue.

Darkslayer and Count Yubnub like this.
  5. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    True, true.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What if Lucas had Gilbert Gottfried dub all of the Stormtrooper's dialogue in '04?

Sarge likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Don't post that! Somebody at LFL might read it and think it's a good idea! [face_talk_hand][face_shame_on_you]

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I've definitely thought about it before, so I'm sure George did as well. He must have just decided to keep most of the stormtroopers as normal people, with the occasional Jango clone still in service (hence the one who doinked his head).

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm not sure this is true, but one possibility could be that it wasn't even technically feasible. Perhaps b/c some of the stormtrooper voices overlapped with the main actor's voices?

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

Not an issue since all the voices were dubbed to begin with. Everyone who wore a mask had to have their voices dubbed over with ADR. The reason being that most of their voices were muffled, first and foremost. Changing actors was secondary. Besides, in the Saga, no one was talking like in a Robert Altman film.

For whatever reason, Lucas opted not to do it and he had two more releases to have done so.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  11. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes... derp, you're right.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022