main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph (The) Suicide Squad

Discussion in 'Community' started by BigAl6ft6, Jul 13, 2015.

1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    nah, the bad guys are always cooler than the good guys. joker/batman case in point.

2. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Disagree. Whatever you might mean by "cool", exactly, homicidal narcissists are far less engaging to me than selfless protectors of the innocent. It's easy to give in to criminal and immoral impulses. It takes strength and courage to be a good person.

A Joker comic book series, for example, would never last because readers would tire of seeing him kill and maim and steal after a handful of issues. Yet Batman comics continue to sell decade after decade, in part because the idea of heroism, of consistently making righteous and selfless choices, is elusive and intriguing. Beyond the thrill of the power fantasy, we might be looking for guidance as to how apply that kind of morality to our own lives. Reading issues after issue about mayhem and chaos and murder would get boring, regardless of how "cool" violent crime might seem to an individual reader.

3. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    a batman comic without the bad guys would suck too.

anyway, there's a reason why the best part of batman movies is usually the villian. granted batman is more of an intriguing character than most good guys - part of the reason i, like many others, don't like superman - because he's too good and too powerful and therefore too boring.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's like if Star WARS didn't have any wars in it.

5. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Aww, who wouldn't want to watch two hours of Han and Luke flying through space in the Falcon, playing monster-chess and drinking blue milk? In 3D?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  7. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    I'm definitely more interested in the movie after seeing that informative breakdown.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, Mr. Sunday always puts out some great speculative stuff and uncovered Easter Eggs. The Jack Nicholson performance comparisons (i.e. The Shining, Batman and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Next) were great.

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2003
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    As Mr. Sunday points out, Leto's voice does sound uncannily close to Ledger's in TDK. I know because I do a decent impression, and he's doing the same gravelly nasal thing that Ledger did. An unexpected choice!

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, the Joker did have an ongoing series in the 70's. It only ran for nine issues, bi-monthly before being cancelled. But at the time, the Joker wasn't as homicidal as he's been since "The Dark Knight Returns" and "The Killing Joke".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joker_(comic_book)

On the other hand, the Punisher was more of a villain than an anti-hero when he was given his first mini-series and then his own ongoing series.

12. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Sure, I said a Joker book would never last past a handful of issues, not that it wouldn't exist at all.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You could say your post was confirmed, albeit accidently.

14. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Sweet internet justification! At long last, a reason to live. [face_party]

15. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I would argue that the first part of that is much dumber. Harley is many things, a "role model for young girls" is decidedly NOT one of them. And I'm not seeing anything all that "skanky" here except for maybe her outfit. "Crazy," yes, "psychotic" certainly, "skanky," ehh.

16. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    At best she's a criminally-inclined sociopath who craves attention from a brutally abusive, domineering psychopath. On what alternative Earth is this a role model for girls or women of any age?

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  17. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

The same one where women swoon for Christian Grey, presumably.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Joker is sort of high-pitched in most of his incarnations anyway, there was no way he wasn't going to get some sort of comparison to Ledger. Also, to be fair, Man of Steel takes it's stylistic influence from Nolan's Batflicks which has a sort of whole trickle-down effect on the new DC Cinematic Universe which is sort of influenced by Nolan's movies anyway, even if they aren't in the same continuity.

As for Harley being a role model, the point about Harley is that, most of the time, eventually, she does get out from the thumb of Mistah J. Sorta. I'm guessing by the end of this movie, she'll have "broken up" with him, in some sort of way and strike out on her own. Kinda. Maybe.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  20. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Maybe she goes and hooks up with her BFF Poison Ivy, please.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Sure, Uma Thurman can return to her most famous and critically lauded role.

22. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Actually, I thought that Uma Thurman was a good casting choice. Or she would have been, in a movie that was, you know, good.

23. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Next time, gods willing, it will be Emma Watson.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

Have you actually read any Superman stories, or are you just generalizing?

25. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    There are a few considerations when approaching this movie.

DC needs to establish its brand as something distinct from the competitors. Marvel Studios has its brand, the same for Marvel-Fox. Greater competition necessitates a distinct vision so a potential viewer can go, "Oh, that's DC, I want to buy that." Overly zealous fans such as ourselves will probably see most of these movies regardless of quality. Having a different spin can help attract viewers who might stay home.

"A superhero without a great villain is like a day without sunshine," so says Stan Lee, which is hilarious given a very valid criticism of Marvel Studio's films is their weak villain roster- I sometimes wonder if the real reason the crazy fanboys want Fantastic Four to tank is so Doctor Doom's rights can revert back. DC's deep roster villains is an avenue for Warner Bros. to flank Marvel. We are almost certain that Leto's Joker will be spun off into a Affleck Batfilm at some point. If Suicide Squad is successful then why cannot DC toss Captain Boomerang into the Flash film and so forth.

DC's approach appears to be a reverse of Marvel. Introduce the characters first in a team-up then have the solo adventures. Why must this be limited to the heroes? If cinematic universes are meant to be a transposition of comic style continuity into cinema when why have we not seen more recurring villains?

The film is a smart move financially, and I hope the product turns out well. A minor concern I have is Suicide Squad would probably be better off as a R film instead of a PG-13 given the subject matter, but I'm still excited.

BigAl6ft6 and Hogarth Wrightson like this.