main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Here's hoping the Supreme Court right wing majority cobbles together an absurd and completely unworkable test to distinguish between the official and unofficial acts of a U.S. president.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It will take 5 years for subsequent decisions to mold their political hand-waving into something that pretends to be an interpretable test. Then in 10 years, someone will build a case that adheres assiduously to all the points of this doctrine, only for the Supreme Court to again blow it up because it disfavors a Republican position.

3. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    In all honesty, if they immunize Trump‘s behavior, Joe Biden should simply have the conservative majority arrested on the grounds that they’ve violated the Constitution with the Dobbs decision (for starters) and allowed women to be murdered through deprivation of life-saving medical care. He’ll never do it, but I would if I were president.

I’m surprised none of the justices have brought up whether or not a president could take such an action against the Court itself; Justice Sotomayor raised whether or not a president could have a rival assassinated by the military, so one would think attacking the justices would also be legitimate a question they would be concerned about.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The face-eating leopard eat MY face? Surely you jest!

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Nah, because the Justices would outright say Biden is wrong and thus has to be punished.

6. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I feel for you @Vaderize03 - our institutions are so corrupted that the desire to completely trash them becomes nearly overwhelming. Our regulatory bodies and governing institutions are to an extremely disturbing extent nearly completely controlled by the billionaire class and the stateless megacorporations that were intended to be the objects of regulation. Labor unions aren't powerful enough to protect the interests of the working class. Elected representatives who actively care about the division of wealth in this country are a tiny minority. Now of course we know that even the Supreme Court has been corrupted by billionaire money, and apparently nothing can be done about it because the Supreme Court is in charge of itself.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  7. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    All of which will eventually get us to a “let them eat cake” moment, at which point the Court will realize just how powerless they truly are.

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I agree with you on this. But like Darth Sinister said, Biden is not the president who would do this. If he were, he would have helped to expand the Court in 2021 to avoid all this. As you can imagine, however, some left-leaning left-leaning, international moderates who would be willing to do what you say, Vaderize. Unfortunately, none among them is president.

9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Obviously we need to activate Dark Brandon. :p

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Wouldn't a key (not sole) determinant of official vs. personal acts include a test of who the action benefits? If it benefits others vs. personal benefit?

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't think there's a very good test at all. Even now, Trump's argument is that all his actions have been "official" because it is a duty of elected officials to ensure fair elections, and he had a concern about electoral fraud. You can make up an official reason for almost anything, as he also did with his Muslim ban, even while he announced in public speeches that his main intent was bigoted. In that case, the Supreme Court claimed we all had to take his pretextual justifications at face value, despite his own comments having already discredited them. Under such a model, what is the point of an "official acts" test at all?

12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    We don’t know that an official acts test will be in the majority opinion. It could be something far worse like adopting or even expanding on Trump’s position that only Congress can take legal action against a president for things s/he does as president, and if impeachment does not occur then no one else has jurisdiction to prosecute ever.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking 8X Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Then the American War for Independence would become meaningless. Might as well have stayed with Britain because the monarchy is not as powerful as the American presidency would become (not as powerful as it is now).

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The American War for Independence is already useless, because it was about some rich slave-holding ***holes wanting to keep their guns and not fund George III’s wars, so we became independent so we can fund Halliburton and Lockheed Martin’s wars and protect the ‘right’ to store unloaded guns for kids to steal and shoot up their schools.

But yeah, it would become more useless, because the most narcissistic and bat**** insane king of England was not George III. Trump is more Henry VIII adjacent.

15. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    The comparison to Henry VIII is pretty darn accurate. As for the other issue, gradually, over the course of time, American presidents would support whoever agreed with their interests, whether the foreign leader was authoritarian or not. Certainly during the Cold War, it became the norm for presidents to install and support authoritarian leaders. So, yeah. That made America's War for Independence a bit of a joke. The other things include the Electoral College, as we've often discussed, and the list goes on.

SithOverlord101 likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Some of the arguments in the immunity case are wild.

‘If a President can be prosecuted for enacting a coup while in office, JFK could have been prosecuted for the Bay of Pigs.’

Cool. Can we throw in Nixon/Kissinger and overthrowing the Chilean government too?

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The basic argument is "without immunity, the president would be accountable for his actions"

Um....good!

Perhaps then we would think more things through before playing war games in other countries like Iraq or Afghanistan.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That is why immunity is important. So that things like Iraq can continue in the future. We can't have accountability.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Moderator star 10 Staff Member Moderator

Apr 27, 2005
    The Court turned away Peter Navarro's third attempt at avoiding prison.

Ghost likes this.
  20. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Thomas and Alito are two of the most corrupt justices in U.S. history. We know Thomas is. Alito gets plenty of bribes, too, even though they are fewer. It tips his judgment toward those donors. So, it's late-stage capitalist nonsense. They are corrupt, and they feel that presidents like Trump ought to feel entitled to be and protected from prosecution for their corruption. It makes no sense. And I'll bet that many law students would critique the poor reasoning and logical fallacies of their arguments. The leaders ought to stand for stability and protections in the public good. In other words, regulations and protections for workers and the middle class. Instead, these corrupt justices and the Republican Jones, as I call them, stand for the CEOs' interests. That's not many people. The process is antidemocratic.

21. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    President may end up with substantially more on-the-job accountability than cops

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Moderator star 10 Staff Member Moderator

Apr 27, 2005
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    “…people opposed to same-sex marriage on religious grounds are sometimes treated as bigots.”

In related news, people who buy tickets to MLB games every week or who ask off work to watch the World Series are sometimes treated as baseball fans.

24. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I’d like to see how he’d respond to a petition from Orthodox Jews claiming that abortion bans violate their religious beliefs given that Judaism allows abortion up until quickening.

The Indiana State Supreme Court was on board with this reasoning; he should be too.

Last edited: May 12, 2024
  25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Oddly enough, this is the reasoning that finally swayed me to completely support abortion rights as a Christian after being raised by my parents on the "pro-life" side and then spending a few years on the fence. Christians -- even Protestants -- by and large oppose abortion because the Catholic Church says so. Yet Jews share the same God and the same holy text (up to a certain point), and believe the complete opposite. I looked into it and found that in multiple places in the Jewish Bible (Christian Old Testament), reference is made to life beginning "at first breath" -- which does not happen until birth. And the New Testament does not contradict that.

Anyway, back to your usual Senate discussion. I would like to see him squirm when confronted with that argument.