main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Twelve redux - A tragedy of the grand admirals (updated 6/21/08)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 13, 2006.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Dramatis Personae (updated by appearances)

Grand Admirals

Grand Admiral Martio Batch(allergic to politics and hard to find) HIMS Meniscus

Grand Admiral Nial Declann(quite glum and thinks hes Vader) HIMS Recondite

Grand Admiral Octavian Grant(antisocial unless youre socially élite) HIMS Oriflamme

Grand Admiral Josef Grunger(greedy; plays poorly with others) HIMS Aggressor

Grand Admiral Ishin Il-Raz(a talentless party hack) HIMS Emperors Disciple

Grand Admiral Afsheen Makati(annoyed with the Secret Order) HIMS Steadfast

Grand Admiral Pecatti Syn(a rather faithful son of the Galactic Empire) HIMS Fi

Grand Admiral Danetta Pitta(a hypocritical bigot) HIMS Impenetrable

Grand Admiral Miltin Takel(addicted to drugs and women) HIMS Magic Dragon

Grand Admiral Osvald Teshik(oddly compassionate) HIMS Whelm/Eleemosynary

Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus(astute and charismatica courtier) HIMS Avatar

Grand Admiral Thrawn(a brilliant but enigmatic alien) HIMS Admonitor

Grand Admiral Demetrius Zaarin(bold, gutsy, innovative; treacherous!) HIMS Glory

Imperial Officers

Fleet Admiral Llon Banjeer (sort of a jerk) HIMS Enervator

Captain Broge Wehlk (CO, HIMS Whelm) *

Lieutenant Victoria Banjeer Holt(flag lieutenant to Teshik, a fine lass) *

Imperial Officials

Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin(very slippery) D.M.I.B.S./Moffship

Assorted Citizens

Citizen Placeholder (this space for rent) *

Imperial Élite

HIM Palpatine I, Galactic Emperor(ruler of the known galaxy) HIMS Majestic

Lord Darth Vader(his fearsome enforcer) HIMS Executor

Ars Dangor, Chief Spokesman for the Imperial State(takes his role so seriously that he dresses like his Master)

Sate Pestage, Grand Vizier(he gets to do the boring stuff that his Master doesnt feel like doing himself)

Imperial Court members

HIH Pyrrha Palpatine, Princess of the Empire(enjoying her imperial granduncles patronage to the fullest) *

Advisor Alec Pradeux(extremely well-connected)

Advisor Coh Veshiv(a very nasty social climber)

Lady Anonymous(too good to have a name yet)*

Author's Note: Characters marked with astericks are original characters, all others are genuinely canonical. This story follows official continuity whereever possible, and original characters exist solely as plot elements. The stated aim of this story is to dramatize the chain of events that lead to the collapse of the grand admiralty as an collegial group as well as demonstrate the institutional hypocrisy and vindinctiveness in the Imperial upper-crust that lead to the ultimate downfall of the Galactic Empire. The noble institution of the Imperial Starfleet existed with the stated purpose to protect and serve, but ended up being a political tool of those jockeying for power.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Prologue

[​IMG]t was a quite a party. Well, perhaps it was more appropriate to say that they[/SIZE] were quite a party and the celebration centered around them was similarly worthy of interest. Not because of anything inherent to the occasion itself, but to the reason for its being.

Some would call it politics: it was touted as a cheap trick for public relations by many, and the more cynical felt that it was another despotic attempt at centralization. But it was far more noble than all that. At least, that was what Osvald Teshik thought.

Then again, Teshik had always seen things from that perspective. Some might call it naïveté, but he felt that there were more important things to life than base greed. That simple change in mindset was what made him different from most men, and it was what guided him in life. He had not always been true to his ideals, no, but they formed a basic ideological core that governed everything he did. That, in fact, would turn out to be very important. However, expanding further on this would get ahead of the point at hand. No, enough has been said: enough to give the proper perspective on this tragedy.

Returning to this party, one would notice that each member was particularly distinguished in a certain way. There were twelve of them, in fact, and that was very important. There would be one more, but his existence is only of marginal interest right now. These gentlemenfor there was not a lady among themwere extremely distinguished and absolutely unique in their own rights. They possessed varied vices and virtues, but that is not exceptional in men. What was extraordinary about these twelve individuals was that they possessed these traits in astonishing abundancesuperlatives would be the only adjectives that could properly be used, for the utter exaggeration of their characteristics was what marked them.

That is why these twelve were distinctive. Some had blue blood, and some had bloodlines as dirty as a Duros river. Some had friends in high places, and some did not. All of them, however, led lives that showcased their particulars and allowed them to become what they were. It was perhaps this tremendous individuality that prevented them from ever truly banding togetherthe only commonality they shared was their utter exclusion from anything that could possibly be deemed normal.

Tragic.

3. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    Oh, bravo!
    I smell scandals, so far I like!
    :)

4. Anyara

Anyara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2006
    I'm intrigued . . . if there's going to be a PM list, could I be included, please?

5. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    I'm also intrigued. Looks like it'l be good.

6. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    A very rare occurence to see you in these parts, Jello.

But, a very good concept for a story. Good start.

7. Mariu

Mariu Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 2, 2006
    Hmmm...the prose sounds vaguely Victorian.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sparks: Plenty of scandals, but they won't entirely be all that they seem. Or they might, I haven't decided.

It depends on how I want to bring these people down. :p

Anyara: Certainly.

reagan: Thank you.

Spike: Indeed it is. I do write a lot, but I don't update regularly enough to post anything up. Still, I thought I might as well get feedback for this one in particular. Of my few SW works, it's my favorite.

Mariu: Victorian? How so?

9. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    This is a brilliant idea. I really enjoyed everything - the Dramatis Personae, the introduction - heck, I even liked the Author's Note.

You've got me intrigued.

10. Mariu

Sep 2, 2006
    I am referring to your long, detailed explication...that makes characters and settings intelligible right on the spot. That reminds me of the kind of realism (George Eliot) that marks Victorian fiction, but, then, even Thomas Mann has long, detaiiled explications (see Death in Venice.) I don't have authority to say much now because this is onl the prologue.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The next chapter has a little more of that, though the perspective is going to be a sort of third person limited. It might widen to a narrator's perspective for certain points and then narrow again. I rather like explication on the grand scale.

It's set to be posted a week from today, but I may or may not post it earlier depending on whether there's a demand for it. The intro is more of a teaser than anything, since it's shorter than any chapter would be.

12. Mariu

Sep 2, 2006
    Well, if you can, I would love to see it today. It's certainly an intriguing start, esp. in light of all the discussions over Teshik's trials...I wonder how you would add another layer of tragedy to that.

13. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Good start, but don't let Charlemagne or Nick22 see that.[face_laugh]

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Chapter the First

[​IMG]e could not help but notice that, yet again, Grand Moff Tarkin was the center of attention. The party wasn[/SIZE]t even remotely related to him, but somehow, he had enough charisma left to charm the slacks off of half of the Imperial élite. Well, some things never changed.

Tarkin had an ulterior motive, of course. He always did. The man had a knack for discovering profitable partnerships. Why, the Countess of Metellos had mentioned that Tarkins latest scheme had come from none other than Raith Sienar. Wasnt that something?

He was more concerned about the man that Tarkin was currently courting, however. A man who always occupied the attention of the NewsNets, even on the datapad issues: one Rufaan Tigellinus. Here was someone that Osvald Teshik would have to keep his eyes on.

At the moment, Tigellinuss activities were obscured by his rather large entourage. He undoubtedly had the greatest following among the twelve men that were honored today. Twelve men who chose not to celebrate together, but among groups of their supporters and admirerspeople who would like to call on the rising stars of the military. Some things, indeed, never did change.

Then there was Nial Declann, almost invisibly hiding in the corner. He was curiously adorned with a dark cloak, which made him even more difficult to spotthough he was distinguished by lacking any sort of companions.

Speaking of companions, Miltin Takel had two courtesans hanging off of his arms. The man was degenerate, but brilliant in his own bizarre way. Teshik couldnt help but notice that even while talking to an esteemed Core world governor, Takel was surreptitiously slipping his hands up the skirt of one of his friends.

Eyes rolling to the stars, Teshik sought out the most-dignified looking of the bunch. Ah, there he was! According to the brief introductions they were given when they had first been summoned to Imperial Center, this individual was one of Lords of the Expanse. Certainly a Tapani noble would be more to Teshiks tastes.

As he navigated his way to the aristocrats table, he was noticed that he had not brought an entourage with him either. It wasnt very surprising, though. His clout was real and not something that was as ephemeral as Court favor. Teshik adjusted his bearing accordingly, and did his best to conduct himself in the manners of these aristocrats. Teshik was of the Core world élite, but these lords conducted themselves as a different breed altogether.

A ghost of a sneer curled up on Grants lips, but the noble quickly suppressed it. I suppose youre more tolerable than those nobodies that His Majesty has gathered here so far.

His accent aroused Teshiks curiosity. It most certainly was not the clipped Coruscanti Received Pronunciation that was fashionable in high social circles. For someone of such exalted birth, Grants accent was positively bizarre. He supposed that the indistinct syllabic qualities of his speech were something that did set him apart from the normal, which was all that was necessary.

When it became clear that Teshik wanted Grant to elaborate, the lord continued. Look here, this Il-Raz fellow is a prime example of what Im talking about. Are you familiar with him?

Teshik thought about it for a moment. No.

Precisely! Hes a yes-man to the umpteenth degree, Grant explained, his peculiar accent dripping contempt. He is the head of the Select Committee. He dropped the condemning statement as if it said everything.

And it did. The Select Committee members headed the Commission for the Preservation of the New Order, almost universally agreed to be one of the worst things to come out of the New Order. That sentiment was also universally denied. It was a tyrannical institution, and one that demanded unswerving loyalty to the Galactic Emperor. Admirable on its own, perhaps, but COMPNOR flunkies had a habit of gaining cushy positions on the basis of their mindless obsequiousness.

Well, at least the rest of the circle appears to have earned their new post, Teshik offered charitably.

The dark-haired officer looked at him incredulously. Preposterous! Why, Pittas not even human and that Grunger is positively savage. I wonder why precisely the Emperor has allowed such miscreants into his inner circle. Its ridiculous.

Somewhat disturbed by Grants instant dismissal of men he wasnt even familiar with, Teshik hurried to terminate the conversation. Teshik believed that a mans worth could not be judged simply by looking at him, and he decided that it was fair to give some of these men a chance before condemning them. Yes, even Grant.

Intending to return to his own table and address his clients, Teshik was startled by a sudden outburst behind him. Reflexively turning about, he noticed that two of his peers were engaged in some sort of argument. Afsheen Makati appeared to be trying to make some sort of point, but Pecatti Syn would have none of it. He caught some references to religious orders and the like, but it was lost in the general hubbub of conversation.

Until Syn reached his conclusion. “…and NO faithful son of the Empire would ever dare dream otherwise! he thundered, causing everyone nearby to cringe. It wasnt so much his zealotry as it was the sheer crassness of his behavior that was upsetting.

Those two just dont get it, remarked a slick voice from behind Teshik. Inclining his head in greeting, Teshik waited for Takel to introduce himself formally. The bulk of his attention seemed to be absorbed on the arguing officers, while he absentmindedly caressed the bosom of one of his courtesans with his free hand. Noticing Teshiks attention, he grinned. Shes a hottie, eh?

Disgusted, the woman slapped away his hand and stormed off, leaving a befuddled Takel to chase after her. Teshik had to restrain himself from laughing. It seemed that even courtesans had standards.

At this point, it seemed that noise had been muted down to soft murmurings. That meant that it was about time for the main event to commence. Teshik retrieved his wife from her conversational circle and proceeded to stand aside the tables that they had been accorded at the head dais.

The chamber went completely quiet when a cadre of red-robed Imperial Guardsmen entered and ceremonially shouldered their force pikes. The band struck the imperial anthem, and amidst much acclaim, the Galactic Emperor arrived. A collection of advisors and highly placed personages followed the universal sovereign, including the grand vizier, the president of the Ruling Council, and the mysterious executor known as Darth Vader.

The imperial party made its way to the dais and spread itself out among the tables in their meticulously prescribed hierarchies. The Galactic Emperor, of course, took the high-backed chairreminiscent of a throneat the central table and was flanked by his two highest deputies. Lord Vader, curiously, did not occupy a chair but simply stood behind his Master.

It was highly unusual for His Imperial Majesty to appear in public: but when he did, it would be for a glorious address to an adulating public. This, a private party for a privileged few, was hardly the occasion for that sort of thing. Still: when the Emperor spoke, it was typically concerning something goodcolored in shades of idealized triumphalism.

Especially given how he started: These men will form my inner circle of twelve Grand Admirals, who will command all Imperial Forces for the glory of the Empire…”

15. Anyara

Apr 14, 2006
    Excellent start, Jello, with a nice introduction to some of the soon-to-be Grand Admirals. It's interesting how you characterise them, letting us form our original impressions based on your portrayal of their actions. More?[face_batting]

16. rhi-sparks

Mar 15, 2006
    ?She?s a hottie, eh??

What a line.
    Haha, wish that one would be used on me!
    :p

But yes, joking aside- a very nice rounded impression of the glorious Imperial festivities!
    I also like how there is an anthem for HIM.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Takel's been described as a "street talker," which would be rather funny amidst the pomp and circumstance of a formal do.

As for more--next week! After that I need to start writing more. :p

18. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    It is an excellent introduction to some of the Grand Admirals. Will the story be completely from Teshik's point of view or will it switch as the story progresses?

19. Anyara

Apr 14, 2006
    *Pokes Jello*
    More story, please!

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    As you wish...

[SIZE=4][B][SIZE=6][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Trajan Pro]Chapter the Second[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/SIZE]

[COLOR=#000000][blockquote][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/grandadmiraljello/Letters/H.png[/img][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]igh Command was not particularly pleased with the added complexity of yet another level of extraordinary authority. This heterogeneous body of military and naval officers had the tricky task of controlling the overall disposition of the Empire[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=4][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s military forces and coordinating affairs with the Imperial Senate and Ruling Council. The upper echelons in the Starfleet in particular had been pointedly vociferous in their criticism of oversector commands; so many others privately felt that that the grand admirals were a sop to the Navy. Others expressed more pessimistic opinions.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]The truth was that there wasn[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]t really a place in the command structure for them. In a sense, they were an oddity. Those who speculated that the grand admirals were appointed to increase the Emperor[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s personal control over the armed forces had the closest guesses to reality. It seemed that the grand moffs had attained the glamour and the courtly niches while the grand admirals were sent around as the Emperor[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s troubleshooters. In a way, they functioned much in the same fashion as that Vader character, minus the Jedi powers.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Many began to resent the special privileges and status accorded to the Emperor[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s chosen. These feelings were concentrated mostly among those who were only one or two rungs below, as such things often happened. Rather than consider the difficulties in a position that came with no inherent power base, the grumblers focused on the fact that these men were free from the normal strains of high rank: frequent COMPNOR attention, constant wrangling for favors, and competition from ambitious individuals. These grumblers numbered a great deal and could have made a noisy protest if they imagined it would have done them any good. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Of course, it wouldn[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]t have. So instead, high-level officers conspired to make the lives of these new grand admirals a misery. One could not publically insult them, which would be an affront to their honor. Private snubs were the order of the day. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Just a few weeks after the end of New Year[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s Fete Week, for instance, Osvald Teshik had been invited to a premiere performance of Furtran[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s 99[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3]th[/SIZE][SIZE=4] Concerto. Tickets were nearly impossible to come by, but the Duke of Relkshead had long been a patron of the aspiring musician so it was easy to get VIP box seats. Teshik had accepted, of course, but not entirely for the music.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]The two of them were strikingly different. Relkshead was short and very plain looking and he dressed in a simple black velvet suit with a circular pendant as its only adornment. Teshik was quite tall, with a distinguished bearing and he wore the white and gold uniform that his rank allowed. It was a very awkward evening, as the taciturn duke made it very difficult for Teshik.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier New]“[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]I am very sorry to have to tell you this,[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]”[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-] Relkshead said at least, during the third intermission.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Teshik perked up. So the duke was finally going to speak! [/FONT][FONT=Courier New]“[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Yes?[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]”[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier New]‘[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]However, we should speak in High Galactic,[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-] Relkshead went on to say. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]High Galactic was an ancient language that was growing immensely modish among the Imperial upper-crust. The nearly-extinct language had previously been restricted to classical scholars and Jedi monks, but it was now considered the language of discourse for individuals of elegance. It was particularly suited for clandestine conversations because it defeated casual eavesdropping (as well as listening devices, if one was watching a concerto accompanied by an opera in the same language). [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier New]‘[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]I should begin by saying that this doesn[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]t bear any reflection on you as a person, and I[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]ve always felt nothing but admiration for an officer of your caliber. You are indeed an ornament to your class. That said[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]…’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-] Relkshead trailed off.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Teshik[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s heart sunk.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier New]‘[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]My colleagues have not seen fit to include you in the membership as this time. As you know, our order is a fraternal society and decisions are made as a group. I[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]m sorry.[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Teshik frowned. Though he had counted on opposition, especially considering the protests against the Emperor[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s twelve, he had imagined his newfound prestige would have won him the approval of Imperial Center[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s capricious socialites. Instead, it seemed to have done the opposite.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier New]‘[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]May I ask why[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]—[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]yes, I know it[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s considered inappropriate to discuss the order[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s inner workings to outsiders. I would just like your own, personal, assessment on the situation.[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]The duke sighed. [/FONT][FONT=Courier New]‘[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]I shouldn[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]t. However, telling you what you already know won[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]t do any harm. COMPNOR has voiced concerns about you[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]—[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]you[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]re one of the few highly placed officers that is neither a member of the New Order Party nor a financial contributor to the Commission.[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]The grand admiral bristled. [/FONT][FONT=Courier New]‘[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]That cannot be the reason why. Surely the Commission isn[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]t that[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]—‘[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Courier New]‘—[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]it is,[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-] the duke interrupted apologetically, [/FONT][FONT=Courier New]‘[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]politics on Imperial Center have changed in the nineteen years since the end of the war. Party members have gained a tremendous amount of clout, and they[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]re the ones that clever gentlemen ought to cultivate. If you want to become a part of the game, Admiral, you will have to follow the new rules.[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Aside from the usual parting pleasantries, the two of them remained silent for the rest of the performance. It really was quite stunning, and Furtran exhibited a musical mastery that showed that there was still beauty in this artificial world. The fact that the music frequently accompanied tragedies in the theatre was not at all comforting, though.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]That short conversation was emblematic of all that was wrong with Imperial Center. Teshik loved the place, to be sure, but it had changed almost beyond recognition. Certainly, the old families still held a great amount of esteem[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]—[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]but for someone who was used to a great deal more respect and prestige matters had changed dramatically. It wasn[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]t to say that things were terrible; certainly, Teshik and his ilk had a great deal of friends. The problem was that all of them could smell the change in the winds, and none of them were at all eager to see it.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]It was only a matter of weeks before Teshik found something that would save him from his plight. He was given a chance to get away from Imperial Center and he gladly took it. Little did he know that it was an act that would profoundly change his career.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-][[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]…[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]<< [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-][B]To:[/B] Grand Admiral Osvald Teshik[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-][COLOR=#000000][B]From:[/B] Imperial Advisor Ars Dangor,[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [COLOR=#000000][SIZE=4][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-] for the Emperor.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-][B]Regarding: [/B]The Perlemian Commonwealth[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-][COLOR=#000000] [I]Valued servant, you are undoubtedly aware of the recent chaos in the Core. The so-called Optimal Chairman of the Commonwealth has announced his intentions to levy tariffs on all commerce through the trade route and interdict all vessels that do not comply. The local Sector Group sustained grievous damage and has forced to withdraw. This cannot be tolerated.[/I][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-][I]The Senate Advisory Committee has indicated that it seeks a peaceful accommodation with the Commonwealth and questions the need for a confrontation. They are concerned that the loss of another Sector Group will seriously destabilize their assets in the Core and are unwilling to devote any further forces. [/I][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-][I]His Majesty has seen fit to instruct you to deal with the situation. The Imperial Senate will not coöperate, so we must turn to one who is not answerable to them. As such, the following title is bestowed upon you immediately, with all the relevant powers pertaining to such.[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-][I]You are now a Warlord of the Empire, with the appropriate honors associated with one.[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-][I]You are now His Imperial Majesty[/I][/FONT][I][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s Plenipotentiary for the security of Imperial Center Oversector[/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-][I]You have supervisory powers over the grand moff supreme commander of the oversector, as well as any moff supreme commanders included therein. [/I][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-][I]Your formal investment at the Anaxes Citadel will occur after the pacification of the Perlemian Commonwealth. For now, the oversector forces are still being constituted. You will be granted a small force from the HIM Strategic Reserve Command. [/I][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-][I]You are hereby requested and required to take your forces into Commonwealth space and pacify resistance. A document is attached containing the dispositions of your forces. >>[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]So, thanks to the ill-advised aggression on the part of the Perlemian Commonwealth (they had forgotten what had happened the [I]last[/I] time there was a major trade dispute, and that little spat wasn[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]t threatening the Core Worlds) the Imperial Center Oversector was formed. Spacers immediately began to refer to it as Sector Zero.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Though [/FONT][FONT=Courier New]“[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Sector Zero[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]”[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-] was one of the first oversectors to be constituted, it was comparatively slow to get organized. Unlike Tarkin[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s Oversector Outer, the Imperial Center Oversector contained many overlapping authorities and local planetary defense forces that were slow to subordinate their infrastructures into a larger defensive apparatus. If Oversector Outer was the best example of a priority sector, then Sector Zero was the worst. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Not that this mattered to Osvald Teshik. Once he had finished teaching the Commonwealth a lesson, he could begin his task of consolidating and augmenting the oversector[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s defenses. Though he was only given a small discretionary fleet to work with, Teshik decided that it should prove sufficient for his purposes. Unlike the high admirals commanding Sector Groups, a grand admiral and [I]legatus imperatoris[/I] could conduct his operations without anyone[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s interference.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Once he arrived on Anaxes, he threw himself into his work with relish. Unlike the monotony of Imperial Center, the Citadel provided him with endless activity to sustain him. Most men would exhaust themselves, but work energized Teshik. Here, on the world of his ancestors, Teshik felt at home. Anaxes had been known as the Defender of the Core for millennia, and it gave Teshik great pleasure to be commander of the same.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]At the moment, Teshik had just eight Imperial Star Destroyers at his disposal. He had also been assigned three larger battlecruisers, but he had elected to leave them at Anaxes in lieu of the former Anaxes Sector Group. Any enemy forces attempting to follow the Perlemian into the Core would have to stop at the planet and engage them. He would also bring along the remnants of the old sector group to tie down the Commonwealth defenses[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]—[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]they would be placed under the command of a fleet admiral, since the former high admiral of the sector had been killed in action.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Teshik[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s first task was to attack the Quenyun system, which was the primary communications node for the Commonwealth. Quen-1 and Quen-2 were heavily fortified and housed the main communications instruments, while the outlying Quen-3 was a hollowed out hangar and dock for large starships. Quen-3[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s orbit was highly eccentric, so its periaspes and apoapses greatly shifted during each orbital cycle.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Once all his preparations were complete, Teshik embarked on an inspection tour of the ships under his command[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]—[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]ending with his flagship, HIMS [I]Eleemosynary[/I].[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]From the moment he stepped off the shuttle and a herald shouted [/FONT][FONT=Courier New]“[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]Admiral on deck![/FONT][FONT=Courier New]”[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-] Teshik felt at peace with himself. Among his colleagues in the Navy, there was none of the barbs and concealed dislike that he had been subjected to in the Court of Courts. Instead, there was but pride and admiration for one of the Navy[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]’[/FONT][FONT=Requiem Text-HTF-]s own. The Teshiks were Old Anaxsi, and in the Imperial Navy, those Generational families with their long histories of service mattered more than any aristocrat or royal ever did. Anaxes was his home, and the Navy was undoubtedly his calling.[/blockquote][/FONT][/COLOR]

21. rhi-sparks

Mar 15, 2006
    A street talker amidst those "old boys"?
    :p
    Marvellous!
    I see a new chapter, and yet again I like very much!
    =D=

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler & Former Mod star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 7, 2000
    A nice surprise to you in these parts and a most intriguing story you've started. Migh I ask for PM updates?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sparks: Yup. Takel's been described as a slick street talker in the canon, so naturally, that's the way he'd talk among his colleagues too.

Leona: Certainly. :D

24. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    PMs for me too. I'm liking this. Great character development for sadly underused characters.

25. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Nice update, Jello.