main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    In other news, we're exporting our horrible politics to other countries now:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u...da-upholds-anti-gay-death-penalty/ar-BB1l61uc

TL;DR the Uganda supreme court cited the Dobbs decision by the US Supreme Court as a "basis" for upholding a Ugandan law making "aggravated homosexuality" a capital offense. What's "aggravated"? For starters, any gay person who has HIV or any disability, or is elderly.

It's sickening.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Apr 27, 2005
    Uganda has always been evil when it comes to LGBTQ+ matters; it's the Rethuglicans in the US who would love to copy it.

Though, even after reading the article, I'm struggling to understand how Uganda's Supreme Court got that it was okay to execute gay people from Dobbs.

SithOverlord101 and Luke02 like this.
  4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'd like to remind you and perhaps others that the reason anti-gay sentiment is so amplified in these post-colonial countries in the global south is largely because of the Christianity imposed by said European colonizers. Saying some place in Africa was "always evil about LGBTQ+ issues" is passing the buck.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    While European colonization is the origin, a lot of the recent anti-LGBTQ movement in Sub-Saharan Africa has been funded and spearheaded by US evangelicals.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

You first lady.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Apr 27, 2005
    Trump would have to divorce Melania first.

SithOverlord101 and Luke02 like this.
  8. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    I pray to god that MTG is raptured up to heaven on Monday during the eclipse. Please god. Pleaeeeeeeeeezzzee.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him. But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What woke book is that from? Whoever wrote that needs to get right with Jesus.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Is that Jewsish Space Laser Lady up for re-election? I mean whoever voted her in has to realize what a jokeshow she is by now

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @DarkGingerJedi I can think of an almost endless number of people who can join here on Monday. Regrettably, it won't happen, or worse yet, the Rapture does finally come, but we are stuck with her and those of her ilk.

@anakinfansince1983 Yeah, it's from the part of the Bible that MAGA Evanganical completely ignores or only pays attention to one hour a week. As soon as they get into the parking lot, it's forgotten. I like to call them one-hour-a-week Christians and 167-hour-a-week devils.

@BigAl6ft6 She will win her district with about 70% of the vote, perhaps even more. About 40% of the country are true believers in the MAGA cause and have zero shame.

And speaking of having no shame:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/05/politics/lauren-boebert-congress-reelection/index.html

It is honestly in her best interest if she doesn't get the Republican nomination in her district and drop out of the limelight. I have no grand delusions of her seeing the light, but honestly, she seems on her current path of having something horrible happen to her, and I worry that she takes others with her, particularly her younger children, down with her.

jcgoble3 and SithOverlord101 like this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Maybe she just needs a stint in a celebrity rehab facility. That can be a great way to do a PR reset. Bonus points if she goes in for sex addiction instead of substance abuse.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    She just needs to pick another fight with MTG.

I got a good laugh at the mental image of her being ****faced and trying so hard to get selfies with Trump that his security told her to knock it off.

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Rylo Ken, it should be noted that Gary Busey had the greatest stint on celebrity rehab ever. He claimed to be a "participant," not a patient, and was there to mentor others in their recovery. Not sure if Boebert could live up to that but be interesting to watch in a trainwreck way.

@anakinfansince1983 Which is just code for "Lady, you are just not his type," since if Trump was interested, she would have gotten all the selfies she wanted. But between the parking lot attorney and the fake Melania (Margo Martin) there isn't much room for Boebert.

And speaking of Melania, look who just came out to see her shadow:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/05/politics/melania-trump-log-cabin-republicans/index.html

It's fitting, though. A group with absolutely zero self-respect in the Log Cabin Republicans meeting with a woman in Melania Trump who also has absolutely zero self-respect.

16. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    The recent anti-LGBTQ movement in Africa and other continents has been expanded. While the main thrust of Project 2025 is in theory against us, my concern is that this community will be used as "target practice." The Republicans want to practice hurting us before focusing on their greatest desire: the incarceration and elimination of Hispanic people and others they hate. Anyhow, I'm not going to turn this into an anxiety post. I haven't been clear in the past that my anxiety centers on Trump and has nothing to do with posters on here, TA94 told me. Suffice it to say that I agree with what you're saying. I'm tired of the dumb jokes and threats from Trump and his supporters. I wish we could banish them to the moon in order to focus on progressive reforms instead. If we poured all this energy into healthcare and education reforms, the world would be better off. Unnecessary drama/chaos from fascists in this country and abroad is taxing to say the least.

17. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Ohio sometimes wants to be Texas or Florida.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-may-trouble-getting-ohio-181145469.html

Ohio’s secretary of state on Friday signaled that the Democratic National Convention may take place too late for President Joe Biden to appear on the general election ballot in the state, according to a letter obtained by NBC News.

“The Democratic National Convention is scheduled to convene on August 19, 2024, which occurs more than a week after the August 7 deadline to certify a presidential candidate to the office,” Secretary of State Frank LaRose wrote to Ohio Democratic Party Chairwoman Liz Walters.

ABC News first reported about the existence and content of this letter.

In the note, LaRose goes on to say that the oversight can be rectified in two ways: either by the Democratic Party moving up its nominating convention or by getting the Ohio state legislature to “create an exemption to this statutory requirement” by May 9, which is 90 days before a new law’s effective date.

18. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 15, 2011
    Amid Threats to Workers and Voters, States Move to Restrict Guns at Voting Sites

https://truthout.org/articles/amid-...states-move-to-restrict-guns-at-voting-sites/

Seems my own Virginia vetoed a bill that would disallow people bringing guns to polling places.

Hmmm...

I feel like we're headed to another coup attempt, I'll be real with you all...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    Juliet316 and SithOverlord101 like this.
  19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    You should pray that you get raptured and MTG gets left behind.

20. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Don't see why he should get punished too

21. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    That seems rather selfish and not the kind of thing that would get one raptured.

Luke02 likes this.
  22. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-trump-wants-change-nebraska-091851452.html

At the urging of former President leaving the page." data-wf-tooltip-position="bottom" data-wf-reset-every="90" style="position: relative;">Donald Trump, Republican lawmakers in Nebraska are pushing a last-ditch effort to change the way the state allocates electoral college votes and adopt a “winner takes all” system that could impede President Joe Biden’s chances of winning re-election.

Nebraska’s current system allocates two of the state’s five electoral votes to the presidential candidate who wins the majority of votes statewide. The three other electoral votes are awarded to the winner of each of the state’s three congressional districts.

Under the system, Democratic candidates have a chance of winning an electoral vote in the deep-red state from the more liberal-leaning district surrounding its largest city, Omaha. Biden won the district in 2020 and former President Barack Obama picked it up in 2008.

With Trump and Biden in a dead heat in general election polls, the 2024 race could come down to just a few electoral votes in key states. Trump is hoping to swing Nebraska’s system in his favor.

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Please make it stop.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They tried that in 2020 as well and it failed spectacularly. Maine could do the same and it would work in Biden’s favor.

But yeah…if the Nebraska GOP pulls this off, and Biden wins Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania but not Georgia or Arizona, and all other states go the same way they went in 2020–it would be an electoral college tie and go to the House, who would usher in Trump.

25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @anakinfansince1983 Assuming the House stays Republican. A new Congress gets sworn in on Jan 3rd so theoretically it could be where Speaker Jefferies is sworn in on January 3rd and the Democrats break a Electoral College tie on Jan 6th. Then again I think it has to be Speaker Jefferies even if Biden wins handily again because Bible Mike/MAGA House Speaker would not allow Biden to be out thru the House for a second term.

Meanwhile, MTG is still at it:

Again you first lady. Perhaps someone should tell her the epicenter for the NJ earthquake was Trump's golf resort so if anything, like the fly on Pence's head, God is telling people to get off the MAGA juice.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.