main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm holding out hope that 2022 will be a very nasty wakeup call for the GOP. Somebody in this thread has to have all the hope.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    With the exception of 2002, which was for obvious reasons, midterms over at least the past 30 years have never been great for the party holding the White House.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's impossible for the Democrats to make significant gains. One thing they need to do to buck the trend is... not act like Democrats.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I call "Not It"

4. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Considering the mans age and obesity it is entirely possible he might not be around too much longer anyway so

Hopefully yeah.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This deserves repeating any time someone claims that “tHe DeMoCrAtS aRe LeFtIsTs”:

[​IMG]

My only issue here is that the US does not get to define its own “far left.” Far left has an objective definition.

...and I’m center left.

6. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I think Sander's being 'barely left of centre' is a bit much. He would still be left-leaning within social democratic/labour parties.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, unfortunately, he is saying himself that he expects to be reinstated as President by August.

8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 10

Apr 17, 2006
    Okay but he says a lot of things and most of them aren't true so....

9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Yet thanks to the actions of his followers on January 6th, we have no choice but to take him and them deadly serious in so far as whether they would actually act to make this happen. So much as we'd all love nothing more than to forget him, his own actions force us to watch him. Which of course is exactly what he wants. And we can tell that this is literally him begging for attention because his social media attempts have failed. So this is just another "look at me!" The problem is the crazy people who buy into it and will actively try to make it happen.

I just wanted to say:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  10. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Trump is getting more mileage out of an ex presidency than ever. Drop the guy. Reinstated as president? By whom? What is he going on about? Aren’t there more pressing issues? Like: gas prices. Border problems. Rising consumer costs which hurts everyone, especially lower income people. Possible beef shortages. Ya know.... major stuff!

MasterP likes this.
  11. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I'm reminded of the ICU nurse in Oklahoma who quit last year after a patient dying of COVID told her with his final breath it was all a hoax.

You just made an excellent argument for universal basic income, along with reinstating higher taxes on corporations and the wealthy. They're not the ones who will be hurt by rising core inflation, so...

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

Beef shortage isn’t a problem at all, much less a major one. Oh no, setbacks for people who view living beings as nothing but goods for slaughter for profit...

As far as Trump going away—Do you support a bipartisan commission to investigate the Capitol insurrection, or do you support the Capitol insurrectionists?

The only way to make Trump go away fully is to stop those who support the Capitol insurrectionists, which includes the majority of the Republican Party.

13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    No, just local vaccine

Lordban and Vaderize03 like this.
  14. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Given the history as a fan of hurting lower income people, the faux concern isn't going to work. Not to mention "gas prices" are an utterly made-up concern. Gas prices now are about what they were (or lower) than they were for much of the last few years of Bush and 2011-2014 of Obama. And that's without inflation being taken into account.

Putting a saboteur back in the White House is still 'major stuff', and is still quite possible, given that the Republicans would like to do so. Republican voters want Trump, and Republican lawmakers want to rig the elections. Those combine to be a very major issue.

15. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Hoax? nah - I had it and so did my family. Its real. It didnt hit us very hard and most people seem to recover. But a hoax it is not.

UBI? As Ive said before: Im fine with it IF and only IF we get rid of every other program that gives people stuff for free. So, no more food stamps, welfare, heating assistance, etc. If that all goes away, along with the costs associated of administering those programs(wont need all the employees running those programs then anymore) then great. It'll be a cost neutral thing or close to it. The catch is that if you give people UBI then they had better spend it wisely. That means using for necessities and not "fun" stuff. If they blow their UBI on whatever else..... no running to the Govt for bailouts. Do that, and Im 100% fine with UBI. Do I get it too? :).

Investigate the Capitol thing? Ehhh. More taxpayer dollars wasted chasing down some fringe folks? Whats the objective? What do they hope to solve by doing this? Id rather they investigate the Covid origins and make sure that cant and doesnt happen again. Way more benefit to that, IMO.

I was kind of kidding about the beef thing . Our local farms have better beef(grass fed, more expensive but worth it) than some giant corporation anyways. We only eat it here and there.

I almost laughed when Anheiser-Busch started offering beer to anyone that got a vaccine. Hell, their beer is so bad that Id rather stay unvaccinated than get free beer from them. What a joke. That beer can make you sicker than any virus :D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    MasterP likes this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, Mike, you get UBI too. That's what UBI means -- Universal Basic Income.

It's like the MST3K joke:

[​IMG]

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Says the guy who probably has a shrine in his house for the worship of Trump 2.0, aka Ron DeSantis.
    And let's not forget you've already admitted the only reason you didn't vote for him the second time was because you felt the Electoral College disenfranchised you.
    Ignoring your laundry list of horse**** conservative media talking points, don't pretend for one second you give a single **** about 'lower income people'.
    Nope!
    Also, nice regurgitation of recasting programs designed to give aid to people in dire need as 'stuff for free'. Your bottomless pit of heartlessness is truly abominable.
    I mean, a coup attempt to overthrow the US government? Who cares, right? It's not like a former US general has been calling for the overthrow of the government, or conservative governors has been rushing to pass laws to overturn elections by order of a single conservative judge without providing reasons.
    Your attempts at deflection are getting truly pathetic.

"I saw on Hannity how it was China and we need to prove it", **** right off with that conspiracy ****.

18. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Mike doesn't live in the same reality as the rest of us, and therefore should only be eligible for Parallel Universal Basic Income, which is paid with monopoly money and laced bootstraps.

On another note, Fox News is about to burst an aneurysm.

This will soon be all the GOP is talking about. Wish I could say I can't wait, but I must not tell lies.

19. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    I love how investigations only waste money when they're aimed at the GOP. It wasn't a fringe group either. It was Trump's most loyal cult-members, along with 130 some odd members of congress who then decided to side with them, along with perhaps a few of them giving these idiots tours the day before, and meeting with their leaders in Trump's hotel the night before.

I mean it's not like we're demanding dozens of Benghazi investigations over the course of years and years. Just one will do. Just a single one.

20. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    By the by, I was on the way out to a lake to go fishing this weekend and drove past one of those garish roadside tents still hawking their Trump political memorabilia six months after the election.

He’s clearly irrelevant.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There is no UBI program that pays enough to justify a complete absence of any social safety net so…no.

And don’t ever call yourself “small government” again after claiming that other people are obligated to justify to YOU whether they are “spending their money wisely,” especially when you are fully in favor of corporations and business owners not spending their money wisely and then whining that they are entitled to a discount on labor costs.

Prosecuting those who murdered five police officers and injured 140 more, threatened to murder members of Congress, smeared their own **** in the halls of the Capitol, defaced John Lewis’ statue with racist garbage, as well as prosecuting and expelling any current and former representative of the US government who aided and abetted this attempted coup. Taking a stand for democracy and against fascism. Ensuring that those who attempt a fascist alt-right takeover are fully punished and prevented from using January 6 as a training exercise for their next attempt, as opposed to being laughed off by people like you, who would probably prefer that they succeed anyway, let’s not pretend that you think they are fringe, you just don’t care if their next attempt works.

600,000 Americans plus millions around the world have not died from skunky beer, but by all means show us your bad math and science or pretend it’s yet another “joke” based on ableism.

22. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    And the transparency about how you don't actually want an investigation to take COVID seriously shows up again, as you're already presuming you know the origins sufficiently to say that steps should be taken so that a disease capable of being a pandemic can't happen again. That will *always* be a possibility so long as animals that can host viruses exist. It is impossible to have a clue and simultaenously say that one wants to investigate the origins and also that we need to make sure that the origin of a disease can't happen again.

Murdered 5 police officers?

blackmyron and Juliet316 like this.
  23. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Not just a vaccine against locals? :confused:

Juliet316 and Vaderize03 like this.
  24. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't think he was referring to precedent there so much as the prospect of re-examining older cases (which the article notes the court went on to reject, which is the point of the article I think).

I don't think it says anything either way about abortion or same-sex marriage rights, but if you're asking me if it's a legitimate concern that conservative justices will in fact re-visit those cases then I would say, yes, it is. The whole impetus behind the the conservative wing of legal thinking has to been to turn back the clock, so to speak, on badly-decided cases.

And there are a lot of badly-decided cases. For instance, it's legitimate to say Obergefell was a poorly-written decision. There were better legal arguments to make than due process. But the consequences of overturning it are severe, especially because it'll have an immediate impact on millions of people and because there's no guarentee of re-deciding it on technically stronger grounds.

There are other cases very similar that are fundamental to how rights work in this country that are technically poorly decided legally, but our entire system of rights would collapse if we struck down those cases and no promise that those rights would be restored if those cases were decided properly.

It's one of the big risks of having rights bestowed as a side-effect of judicial decisions -- which we just have to deal with when we have a legislature that is too cowardly to enact rights on their own and would rather hide behind courts. I suspect but can't prove that conservatives know this and that their arguments that legislatures should bestow rights and not courts are thinly-veiled attempts to just abolish certain rights they don't like and leave it at that.