main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    DP sorry!

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yoda's_Roomate

He will....believe me! :cool:

Hopefully for everyone's sake it takes a right turn at Albuquerque to paraphrase Bugs Bunny.

heels1785

Poor Elmer Fudd, sent out there as the lamb to be slaughtered. Trump fans at least will welcome back to the family temporary. The reasoning behind this is stupider then I even expected. Every economic model shows they do not take away jobs from Americans and frankly, it will cost a ton more long term to try and deport them then it be to grant them temporary status and have them pay taxes from DAY ONE on as they try to prove themselves here.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I await a mass influx of white Americans to various farms and orchards across the country to retake the jobs that were so wrongly stolen from them.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "I love Ricky Ricardo!"

5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    So do we. But we're exercising our freedom of speech to say that J-rod is full of ****.

6. Hef

Hef Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    Yes, and I encourage that as well, as you see above.

7. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    If that was true, then there would be no reason for your original post to exist, as everyone was freely and equally speaking their minds, which your post doesn't imply.

Now, if you want to actually state your opinion in relation to J-Rod's post, then feel free, but just saying blanket that he has the right to say it and also that everyone else has the right to say what they want is just pointless dribble.

8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015

I'm calling out this post as pointless dribble. Oh crap, now I'm doing it too.

Juliet316 and Outsourced like this.
  9. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Can I call out your call out as pointless dribble? Or would that break some unspoken vow/blood-pact/ancient seal?

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 35X Wacky Wednesday/25x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe there should be a thread purely for "antifa", with J-Rod as its curator - minimising the digressions in the main thread?

11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    "Trump is not my bride. True, he is under the misapprehension that we will one day be wed, but why would I buy the cow when I get the milk for free?"

--Vladimir Putin

12. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Ouch.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Still discussing it and still using The Daily Caller as a source despite many discussions about finding a common source or sources of information (sources that all of us, of any political stripes, find legitimate and credible).

Yep, time to move on, as apparently no denunciation of Antifa's methods in this thread will ever be enough.

I'm personally to the point where I don't care if I'm considered an Antifa supporter or not. A couple of weeks ago I might have cared.

14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    so no Million dollars to put "Trump "on a building in Russia that somone else built ?

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    anakinfansince1983

That is the issue. Trump fans do think all news is "fake" unless it comes from a far right news click bait site like DC and Breithart. Remember these are people who have now thrown Matt Drudge under the bus due to him simply posting well facts about how the Trump administration is simply not going well. Go to their sites. The things they have called Matt now since he dare defied Trump even a bit is truly horrifying. And this is Matt Drudge we are talking about, Matt Drudge. Not exactly Ted Kennedy here. Let it sink in for a moment and you see how terrifying of a time we live in.

The sad thing is many true "conservatives" are ashamed of what their movement has become. I have zero doubts William F. Buckley is rolling in his grave at the horrific and inexcusable turn the modern conservative movement as a taken which he help found. Besides it be racist and full of craziness, it is gotten downright stupid and frankly Buckley was a intellectual. He be horrified at how simplistic and how uneducated many in the conservative movement seem to be now, at least the Trump supporters.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

To be fair, I don't think he gives a ****.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    President Obama re: AG Sessions' decision on DACA:

Immigration can be a controversial topic. We all want safe, secure borders and a dynamic economy, and people of goodwill can have legitimate disagreements about how to fix our immigration system so that everybody plays by the rules.

But that’s not what the action that the White House took today is about. This is about young people who grew up in America – kids who study in our schools, young adults who are starting careers, patriots who pledge allegiance to our flag. These Dreamers are Americans in their hearts, in their minds, in every single way but one: on paper. They were brought to this country by their parents, sometimes even as infants. They may not know a country besides ours. They may not even know a language besides English. They often have no idea they’re undocumented until they apply for a job, or college, or a driver’s license.

Over the years, politicians of both parties have worked together to write legislation that would have told these young people – our young people – that if your parents brought you here as a child, if you’ve been here a certain number of years, and if you’re willing to go to college or serve in our military, then you’ll get a chance to stay and earn your citizenship. And for years while I was President, I asked Congress to send me such a bill.

That bill never came. And because it made no sense to expel talented, driven, patriotic young people from the only country they know solely because of the actions of their parents, my administration acted to lift the shadow of deportation from these young people, so that they could continue to contribute to our communities and our country. We did so based on the well-established legal principle of prosecutorial discretion, deployed by Democratic and Republican presidents alike, because our immigration enforcement agencies have limited resources, and it makes sense to focus those resources on those who come illegally to this country to do us harm. Deportations of criminals went up. Some 800,000 young people stepped forward, met rigorous requirements, and went through background checks. And America grew stronger as a result.

But today, that shadow has been cast over some of our best and brightest young people once again. To target these young people is wrong – because they have done nothing wrong. It is self-defeating – because they want to start new businesses, staff our labs, serve in our military, and otherwise contribute to the country we love. And it is cruel. What if our kid’s science teacher, or our friendly neighbor turns out to be a Dreamer? Where are we supposed to send her? To a country she doesn’t know or remember, with a language she may not even speak?

Let’s be clear: the action taken today isn’t required legally. It’s a political decision, and a moral question. Whatever concerns or complaints Americans may have about immigration in general, we shouldn’t threaten the future of this group of young people who are here through no fault of their own, who pose no threat, who are not taking away anything from the rest of us. They are that pitcher on our kid’s softball team, that first responder who helps out his community after a disaster, that cadet in ROTC who wants nothing more than to wear the uniform of the country that gave him a chance. Kicking them out won’t lower the unemployment rate, or lighten anyone’s taxes, or raise anybody’s wages.

It is precisely because this action is contrary to our spirit, and to common sense, that business leaders, faith leaders, economists, and Americans of all political stripes called on the administration not to do what it did today. And now that the White House has shifted its responsibility for these young people to Congress, it’s up to Members of Congress to protect these young people and our future. I’m heartened by those who’ve suggested that they should. And I join my voice with the majority of Americans who hope they step up and do it with a sense of moral urgency that matches the urgency these young people feel.

Ultimately, this is about basic decency. This is about whether we are a people who kick hopeful young strivers out of America, or whether we treat them the way we’d want our own kids to be treated. It’s about who we are as a people – and who we want to be.

What makes us American is not a question of what we look like, or where our names come from, or the way we pray. What makes us American is our fidelity to a set of ideals – that all of us are created equal; that all of us deserve the chance to make of our lives what we will; that all of us share an obligation to stand up, speak out, and secure our most cherished values for the next generation. That’s how America has traveled this far. That’s how, if we keep at it, we will ultimately reach that more perfect union.

Edit - just to preempt, we all know President Obama deported a ton of people. He helped a lot of them, too.

Jedi Merkurian , Torib, Rew and 2 others like this.
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Apr 27, 2005
    He doesn't give a **** about anything and neither does Congress and half of the Supreme Court.

Edit: I meant Trump, not Obama. @heels1785's post went up before mine did.

19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    heels1785

The issue is never ending DACA. It was a short term fix to a long term problem. The problem is ending DACA without a long term solution that is viable, realistic and frankly humane. Again Trump is betting on that Congress will not get its act together enough in six months to put together the bill though wouldn't that be something if they could. Throw a bill on Trump's desk that keeps most of DACA in place long term and forces "Big Heart" Donnie to make a real decision.

Then again none of this should be a issue since DACA is working fine for now therefore it isn't a pressing issue. What's pressing is our fourth biggest city now being horrifically Atlantis and possibly Florida in even more danger along with NK situation continuing to go downhill, terrorism still a ever growing threat etc.....now those are issues we should be talking about but Trump is a weak leader who simply forces on wedge issues that pumps up his base that really are not even major issues since there is plenty of room for compromise.

Jedi Merkurian , Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I use my lightsaber to ignite your strawman.

21. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Is somebody clamoring for freedom of speech on a privately owned website again?

22. Hef

Hef Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 30, 2005

"Respect" in the manner of acknowledgement and deference for the expressions of others.

It appears that you and others make a habit of speaking for "all" while attempting to place conditions on certain posters as to what, how and where they are "free" to present their ideas.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I've missed statements from the White House that include "let us be clear." It's the little things.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm sure you'd present ideas if you had any, Hef.

25. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.