main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Building an engine! Whew. I've got to change a brake light this weekend, and it'll probably take me far too long to figure that out. :p

Work and home, primarily.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If it's a newer car I can agree. You need a degree in engineering and computing with all the electronics they pack. Give me my old Golf any day - less to go wrong with it!

heels1785 likes this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    You say the US is a republic, not a democracy, and then copy-paste a text from Wikipedia that specifically defines the "common parlance" use of the word "republic" as a "representative democracy".

I can't even...

5. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Jet engines. LOL. While I school you guys I'm building **** that defies gravity. All at the same time! ;)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  6. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Not sure why I even bother, but have you even spend one ounce of effort on checking why those things went that way?

First of all, the current loss in seats for the Republicans has been the worst since the midterms after Watergate happened, so yes, that is very much a horrible result for them. Republicans are in a slightly worse position than they were after the last midterms of the GWB presidency, which happened to be a drubbing that cost the Republicans the House.

Secondly, waves can be larger the more opportunities you have to take away seats from other parties. This means, in the case of two big national parties that are relatively competitive in much of the country, that the highest gains can come if you are in a really really bad spot. And the lower your low, the higher your gains can be. When the Republicans gained 54 seats in 1994, they did so coming back from being down 176 to 258. When they gained 63 seats in 2010, they did so after being down 178 to 257. The Democrats never were that low in the first place, so they obviously couldn't rise by as much. You have to go all the way back to the 1930 election to find the Democrats with so few seats ( and they promptly added 54 seats with the next election).

Even when the Republicans were in charge of the House during the late 90s and early 00s, Democrats never fell below 200 seats. The lowest point of the recent past has been 188 seats after the 2014 midterms, a number which rose again to 194 seats in the election that Trump won. If you already are at a much better split than the Republicans were right before their two big waves (a 194-241 split against the two mentioned above), then you obviously won't be able to jump quite as much. Else you might as well suggest that a tennis player moving from 10th to 1st in the world rankings fared worse than a player who moved from 20th to 1st.

Rew, juday, Vaderize03 and 2 others like this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    @J-Rod - That's a whole 'nother level. Good luck with that. (And if an airline is going to use the engine please let us know which one to avoid). :p

J-Rod likes this.
  8. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I doubt the line is his to begin with.

As to posting, can occur from the office, or from home, or on a smartphone during mass transit.

J-Rod likes this.
  9. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Work. Sometimes home. Never from my phone though.

Geographically: Southeastern Wisconsin.

Vaderize03 and J-Rod like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I post from my phone pretty often. Right now, posting on my phone from a brewery where I am checking out a small-batch Christmas ale.

I can build a computer somewhat proficiently but haven’t tried anything engine-related since I was a teenager and had an old car.

Healer_Leona , Vaderize03 and J-Rod like this.
  11. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Number of seats is essentially irrelevant in terms of any moral victory. Gerrymandering has seen to that. Trump should feel repudiated because of the popular vote. Here’s the breakdown of popular vote winners in swing off year elections:

1994: 7.1% republican victory
    2006: 8.0% democratic victory
    2010: 6.8% republican victory
    2018 (based on current count from this most recent article I can find): 7.9%

https://www.newsweek.com/republicans-midterms-popular-vote-worst-ever-1226441

Republicans do well in outcomes not because they actually deserve to do well. It’s because they cheat and steal.

juday likes this.
  12. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Gravity? Isnt gravity that stuff scientists talk about? I thought you were against all that, you know: gravity, round Earth, climate change, etc.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, I stand corrected - Trump is going to visit US troops over Thanksgiving!

.... nah, just kidding. He's going golfing.
    He also finally explained why he didn't go to Arlington on Veteran's Day - he had to make important calls.

14. Yoda's_Roomate

Feb 8, 2000
    Aaaand like I said before, there's going to be a massacre at the border. Only a matter of time.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...some-law-enforcement-roles-for-border-troops/

The White House late Tuesday signed a memo allowing troops stationed at the border to engage in some law enforcement roles and use lethal force, if necessary — a move that legal experts have cautioned may run afoul of the Posse Comitatus Act.

The new “Cabinet order” was signed by White House Chief of Staff John Kelly, not President Donald Trump. It allows “Department of Defense military personnel” to “perform those military protective activities that the Secretary of Defense determines are reasonably necessary” to protect border agents, including “a show or use of force (including lethal force, where necessary), crowd control, temporary detention. and cursory search.”

15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Trump now in a twitter feud with Chief Justice John Roberts

Ghost likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not too often that I cheer for John Roberts.

17. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    We have something in common!

18. Yoda's_Roomate

Feb 8, 2000
  19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Fun fact: Most of the people were fleeing religious persecution because they were actually too extreme for Europe.

Rew, unicorn, Darth Smurf and 11 others like this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember being horrified by the Puritans even when I was younger and far more religious. Forcing people to attend an hours-long worship service even when ill, and putting people in stocks for “sins”, are disgusting practices.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There's a whole world beyond New England. This is why you're ignorant. You're not educating yourself with news beyond where you live. I don't know what state you live in, but you're living in a largely white part of the country. I'm not saying that there aren't minorities there, but travel further south to New Jersey and New York and you'll see a whole different and diverse world. Travel further west and you'll find the stories about Native Americans being discriminated about. Google is your friend.

You cannot be this dense.

[​IMG]

You want to know what global warming is?

[​IMG]

The planet itself is growing warmer, even when it is still cold via temperature changes between seasons, as the planet rotates around the sun.

I take it back, you are that dense. Folks, this is what it is like trying to explain things to Donald Trump.

You don't believe it because you are not wanting to believe it. Because it never happened to you, you don't think it happened. You are, without a doubt, as clueless a person as Donald Trump. And that's the most polite way of saying it. It isn't just for political purposes, but in general. But you want clear evidence of political purposes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering_in_the_United_States

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/417684-dems-take-new-approach-in-nc-gerrymandering-suit

Some do go on to Canada, but most stop in the US, because of its history of hiring minorities to do the jobs that most white Americans don't want to do. As well as the country's own declaration of allowing minorities into the US, with Ellis Island. They only come here because they're escaping the horrid conditions where they live. Here, they don't have to worry about threats to their lives and can create a positive life for themselves.

America in a nutshell.

22. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    [​IMG] [face_idea]

J-Rod and V-2 like this.
  23. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    While I applaud him taking a stand, my praise will remain measured until I see him join the four liberals in reigning in Trump's power and authoritarian tendencies.

Forcing him to comply with a Mueller subpoena would be a good start. It would also shut that arrogant, unhinged Rudy Giuliani up once-and-for-all.

24. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    So J-Rod are you an actual bona fide rocket surgeon? Can you calculate the specific impulse of a European swallow carrying a coconut?

25. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    John Roberts declared racism essentially dead when he threw out the Voting Rights Act. Maybe he feels ashamed after the disgusting shenanigans racists pulled against voters this election year in racist states that used to be covered by the Voting Rights Act. Probably not though.

unicorn, Ghost, Juliet316 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.