main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Nothing will happen.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...special-counsel-mueller/ar-BBQd7tx?li=BBnb7Kz

Nothing will happen. Trump will be reelected and he will be President for as long as he wants to be.

Getting your hopes up is silly. Nothing good happens in this world and evil usually goes unpunished.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    You know what's actually silly? Saying stuff like that. Sure, there's a lot of **** happening in the world. That's true. But do you realize how much better things have gotten for millions of people in the past few decades? Just because the U.S. has an idiot president, with some ancient warlocks supporting him in the Senate doesn't mean that nothing good ever happens, or that the world is doomed.

Jesus Tiberius Christ...

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I agree that the world is terrible, generally speaking-- run by terrible systems and powerful people. But I also believe that it doesn't have to be that way.

I guess this sort of response to appleseedism is getting as repetitive as his posts. :p

MrZAP and KnightWriter like this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  5. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    The reason Kavanaugh was pushed so hard was to get a possibility for a Supreme Court ruling stating a pardon granted for a federal offense also applies on state level.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  6. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    There would be so many constitutional issues with such a ruling I don’t even know where to start.

The Court would literally be creating a protected class of people, “pardon-receivers”, out of thin air. Everyone currently in prison on the same state and federal charge could instantly challenge their convictions on equal protection and double-jeopardy grounds. If a pardoned person can’t face the same state and federal charges and everybody else can, then they are being treated differently than every other defendant which could lead to the claim of a 14th Amendment violation. Also, such a move probably has to come from Congress and not the courts. Regardless, it would seriously handicap prosecutors in federal racketeering cases going forward as they would lose the leverage that the threat of double prosecution brings in trying to flip defendants in major mob cases (to give one example).

It would be a cluster**** of epic proportions. Which probably means it’s going to happen.

Revyl Ren, Rew, appleseed and 3 others like this.
  7. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As I have said—Trump hates journalists. He probably fantasizes about doing to Jim Acosta exactly what was done to Khashoggi. He probably secretly, or not-so-secretly, enjoyed what happened to Khashoggi.

So I would not be surprised if Clinton ends up being correct.

9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Meanwhile they are still counting votes (even though the GOP begs them to stop *giggles*) and the Democrats are now passed the 60 million mark for the House. Perspective? The record for most midterm votes in the house was by the GOP in 2010. They got 44.5 million votes. The mark for percentage wise was broken too, over 53.1%. Again for some perspective the old mark was held my Democrats in the 1974 midterm which happen in the aftermath of the Watergate scandal.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Trump gets report that says that claiming that farts smell good polls really well with his base.

Trump: Don't believe the fake news people. Farts smell great. And we're going to get more people farting in America again!

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Bean and cauliflower sales increase. Trump takes credit.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i purchased cauliflower this evening. target tricked me by making it look like mashed po tay toes, covered in cheese and other crap.

i have no doubt that this fraud was perpetrated by two scoops donnie

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "Two Scoops Donnie" is such an awful attempt at a nickname.

Particularly as it might provoke him to take credit for Raisin Bran offering more raisins than other brands.

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
  15. Two Scoops Donnie

Two Scoops Donnie Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2018
    You take that back

16. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Cadet Bone Spurs is the best and most fitting of the many insulting Trump nicknames.

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Trump underestimates Roberts and the man's opinion on the rule of law. Roberts may be sharply conservative, but even he has his limits. His public rebuke of Trump was a warning shot. I don't expect a Roberts court to side with Trump. Kavanaugh will. Gorsach has little choice. Thomas and Alito haven't yet seen a bad idea they don't like to make happen. But Roberts is now the true swing vote and if it comes to this, I can't see him siding with Trump. Not only that, but I could see a scenario where he puts pressure on Alito to make it a 6-3. Again, Thomas is beyond reason. Maybe hell might freeze over and Gorsuch turns. But that's an incredibly tall order. Roberts on the other hand is almost a certainty because he does not want his court legacy to be contributing to a constitutional crisis and whatever other damage Trump does after.

As to Romney- yes he does still think he could be president. Which is why if he sees a way to stand up to Trump to score political points- he will do it. Especially if he is considering a primary challenge. If Trump does run for re-election, he faces a stronger chance of a primary from the party loyalists and both Kasich and Romney fit the bill on that. Everyone was waiting to see how the Midterms turned out. And now we know- people reject Trump and sought to punish the GOP and restore order by overwhelmingly turning out and voting Democrat. It can't actually be ignored. And this has severely weakened Trump. He also didn't help himself by firing Sessions the next day. And again, the economy is on the brink of collapse. When that goes, expect to watch Republicans line up to toss Trump to the sharks over the tariffs. That's all him and he owns that.

And something else to consider- if some of these politicians are so worried about their future, there is always the remote (unlikely of course) possibility that they flip to the Democrats. It's certainly not unheard of. Heck, some may just declare themselves Independent. I could see a scenario where Susan Collins or Lisa Murkowski got fed up enough to leave the Republicans, declare themselves Independents and caucus with the Democrats. Seems remote, and not believable, but Trump has been wounded and he will continue to bleed. And as the cuts get deeper due to Mueller, the economy, Ivanka's emails, etc., more and more Senators may re-discover their backbone. Except Mitch "May he burn in hell for all eternity" McConnell. Snakes like him don't need spines.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Moderator star 10 Staff Member Moderator

Apr 27, 2005
    Collins threw in her lot with the Trump side of the party when she voted for Kavanaugh.

19. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    Was watching the news here not long ago and they get to the story with trump saying he looked like Elvis when younger they then go on to play the impersonation by kimmel some funny crap

Worse still is that this is meant to be the leader of the free world Jesus wept

20. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    At some point, the fiction that there ever was a leader of the free world at any point in human history needs to die a gruesome and traumatizing death.

MrZAP and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  21. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-curb-immigration-stop-populists-trump-brexit

Personally, I found it troubling when Hillary said this. She sounded somewhat like Steve Bannon, even though her goals are different. In essence, she said, "European nations have been compassionate enough. They've taken in enough refugees. If they take in more, right-wingers like Trump will be elected there." I would argue that that is faulty logic.

MrZAP likes this.
  22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    And sometimes it really is this straightforward...

upload_2018-11-29_7-6-15.jpeg

23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Hillary’s issue is that she often is too honest in her assessments and they get interpreted as being cold. Essentially, she is saying that the root problem (issues in other countries that cause people to flee to Germany, the UK, the US, etc.) must be addressed. She also rightly points out that the solution can’t be to accept a never ending flow of refugees because then the country of origin suffers and the new country suffers due to the drain on resources. This in turn breeds contempt from some of the more extreme citizens and they in turn influence those most vulnerable to their message (the poor and uneducated) which leads to these nationalist movements such as Brexit and Trump.

Essentially, Hillary recognizes that if you keep allowing refugees to stream in and ignore why they are coming in the first place, you fuel the arguments of these extremists and give them ammo and then you get a Trump.

But if these countries start to say that they are not going to accept more refugees and start focusing on fixing the root causes in these countries they flee- people then have no need to flee and the world as a whole benefits. It’s a harsh assessment but not unexpected given her own experiences as Secretary of State.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I was shocked that it was so low.

25. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    She - this hypocrite ********** - is the root problem when it comes to refugees in boats from Libya. I hope this gets addressed at some point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    MrZAP, Point Given and Rew like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.