main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I've been out of touch today, but IMHO: the House should trade HB1 (voting) for the wall. This shutdown is costing the country (sorry, can't cite a source) way more than $5b, so it's cheaper, Trump can claim "he won," and the country wins with the passage of HB1.

Of course, that assumes it passes both houses AND that Trump signs it OR the Senate overrides a veto.

I also think Nancy should all but call Trump a liar (i.e., what says he won't change his mind again after we agree to his wall funding...he's promised this and never followed through, why should we trust him now...).

2. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Not if Congress withdrew it, which hiding it might result in.

@SuperWatto

I proposed that a few pages back. I think it’d be a fair trade, and it would help the Democrats in the long run.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  3. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    There are good people in America, but they are outnumbered by those who are vile and those who are apathetic, which is just another form of being vile. If seeing children locked in cages doesn't motivate you to vote, then you are a terrible person to begin with.

V-2 and juday like this.
  4. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    And of course, how could we not end the day (amongst the horrible calls the NFL referees are making in both games) with Mike Pence comparing Trump's work with Martin Luther King?

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Moderator star 10 Staff Member Moderator

Apr 27, 2005
  6. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Pence thinks Trump is the white MLK, Jr?

Why oh why didn’t I take the blue pill?

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Seriously? That’s just.....ummm.....LOL.....wow.......

8. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried to come up with something sarcastic to say about the juxtaposition, but these images speak for themselves, really.

9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Honestly, there's a part of me that hopes Trump decides to hold his own State of the Union some place else and only Pence, McConnell and the sycophants attend. And then the Earth opens beneath them and swallows them whole. It would solve a lot of problems real fast.

10. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Looks like Pence is learning from his boss. Say something absurd enough on it's face to rile up the opposition and the media to give them something to talk about for a few days rather than your own predicaments.

Though he should be careful with that comparison. It might inspire someone to take it, and Trump, to their endpoint conclusions. Or heck, maybe he's playing his own little game of 4D chess, with "President Pence" echoing behind that blank expression he always wears.

11. juday

juday Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 5, 2018
    Mike Pence's brown-nosing is so high T alpha

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Alright, but as much of the pressure not to re-elect Pelosi was coming from A)the most liberal flank and B)newly elected women as anywhere else. Which is not to say internalized discrimination can't exist. But further, people were singing Pelosi's praises well before the actual election put her back in the Speaker's chair. In fact, the turning point was probably the meeting where Trump declared himself happy to shut down the government. It was another reminder of her deft political skill, which everyone always conceded she had. If this pattern were really true to what you say, I would have expected her to struggle for several more weeks, up until she actually had the gavel.

I think this speaks much more to how conservatives have treated judicial system than it does some specific insight about women. There's the example of Merrick Garland, after all. There is a deep, naked, hypocritical unfairness in how the Republicans have chosen to execute this function of government, and it's made most everyone a terrible fight.

Again, I do agree they face disproportionate discrimination. I think we should look for it. But I think you are over-generalizing from the Clinton example. For instance, in 2016 while it's true that Clinton faced more negative stories than Bernie Sanders, its also true that she had far, far more press coverage period. For an upstart/challenger being starved of media attention is a pretty crushing blow. That was able to put a dint in his performance far more than the quibbling about her personality or (until she blew it up herself with an awful press conference) the questions about her e-mail. It cost him supporters, organizing/infrastructure, and fundraising in the early period that would have been critical to creating a long term, sustainable campaign. I think it's something of a misread to suppose it was Clinton who got the short end of the stick in the Democratic primary.

Abadacus and 3sm1r like this.
  13. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I expect the State of the Union to be held this year in the Fox News studio, and he makes it an interactive experience, where as he delivers his points, the Fox News guys ask him convenient questions to tee up perfect answers. All a big infomercial for a country no one wants to live in, unless you're a racist.

14. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  15. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    We ain't gonna talk about how this is a complete fabrication about what actually happened????

And what about the part where the media was telling us that Trump told his lawyer to lie. Only that turned out to be the lie?

You guys are being played.

And played masterfully. Even when the truth comes out, you ignore it.

Incredible.

gezvader28 likes this.
  16. history3400

history3400 Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    J-Rod likes this.
  17. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    What turned out to be a lie about the Cohen story, J-Rod? Mueller just said that some details were not accurate in the report, not that the entire story was false. I guess you must have access to the report in order to make that claim. Would you mind sharing it with us?

18. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/18/politics/mueller-statement-buzzfeed/index.html
    "BuzzFeed's description of specific statements to the Special Counsel's Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen's Congressional testimony are not accurate," said Peter Carr, a spokesman for Mueller's office, in a statement.

V-2 and gezvader28 like this.
  19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000

Rew, bluealien1, WriterMan and 5 others like this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nope, not a complete fabrication

The information about the Black Israelite group was left out of the original story, and not all of the kids from the Catholic School were taunting Nathan Phillips.

However, some of them were, some of them were shouting “Build a wall” (and if they were shouting it at the Black Israelites and not at Phillips, the point above still stands, assuming the Black Israelites are US citizens).

If you expect me to believe “informationliberation.com” or The Federalist website... [face_laugh]

Let’s say that the Black Israelites were taunting the kids. That’s a separate issue. And not an excuse for what they were doing.

21. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
  22. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Letter from the student here.

To Trump’s supporters, this is the second time in the past week the media has run with a story before thoroughly researching it, then drawing a sensationalist conclusion. BuzzFeed I can excuse (they’re not that big a fish), but ABC World News ran with this story in a way that portrayed the student as a racist. His statement on CNN suggests this is not the case.

While the above pales in comparison to the public behavior of Trump and Co, I absolutely do NOT want to see the MSM compromise journalistic standards for sensationalist headlines. A significant part of the country already buys then”fake news” crap, and this only serves to further that narrative.

In other words, watch the whole clip before you publish the story. And if doesn’t fit “your” narrative, then don’t publish it.

You’re supposed to be reporting facts, not writing fiction. That’s Trump’s job.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  23. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    WHite guys are shouting "Build that wall" to other white guys who don't want the wall. It's not a racist epitaph no matter how much you with it were.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Um, what? They were shouting it at the Black Israelites and the Native Americans.

@Vaderize03 I agree with you. We’re not going to get Watergate-quality investigative reporting on this administration if the Buzzfeeds of the world are more anxious to get clicks as quickly as possible. That’s why I’m glad the New York Times ran the comprehensive piece on the incident with Nathan Phillips.

25. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    And?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.