main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Introducing the new superheroes who will start Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Dynamic Dimwits!

[​IMG]

2. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Edward Teller wanted to repeatedly nuke Alaska to create a megaharbor. (Project Chariot)
    [​IMG]
    Yes, those are craters. From nuclear bombs.

"My name is not Strangelove. I don't know about Strangelove. I'm not interested in Strangelove. What else can I say?... Look. Say it three times more, and I throw you out of this office." - Edward Teller

Some gems from the Project Chariot wikipedia page:
    "In addition to the objections of the local population, no practical use of such a harbor was ever identified."
    and
    "Although the detonation never occurred, the site was radioactively contaminated by an experiment to estimate the effect on water sources of radioactive ejecta landing on tundra plants and subsequently washed down and carried away by rains. Material from a 1962 nuclear explosion at the Nevada Test Site was transported to the Chariot site in August 1962, used in several experiments, then buried. Thirty years later, the disposal was discovered in archival documents by a University of Alaska researcher. State officials immediately traveled to the site and found low levels of radioactivity at a depth of two feet (60 cm) in the burial mound. Outraged residents of the Inupiat village of Point Hope, who had experienced an unusually high rate of cancer deaths, demanded the removal of the contaminated soil, which the government did at its expense."
    Oh, well at least they didn't charge the villagers for it.
    "After a customer for the harbor project could not be discovered, the researchers decided to turn the project into a study on the economic impacts of nuclear fallout on the indigenous communities of Point Hope, Noatak, and Kivalina, in particular 'to measure the size of bomb necessary to render a population dependent' after local food sources have become too dangerous to eat due to extreme levels of radiation."

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Glitterstimm and blackmyron like this.
  3. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    The only thing that can stop a hurricane is The Chosen One with an atom bomb.

(someone please pass the memo along to Pat Robertson).

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    His mind is gone.

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    The best part of the article is the response from the White House...

Just to be clear: Implementing sensible policies to reduce the greenhouse gasses that are causing the climate changes that have contributed to the worsening of hurricane season = crazy and bad. Nuking the Atlantic whenever a hurricane has formed = not crazy or bad.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  6. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    I'm guessing today goes something like 1) Fox and Friends leads the charge in the A.M. talking about merits of nuking bad weather and that kind of out-of-the-box thinking is what makes Trump such a great leader. 2) Some rural red state Republican steps up to say they've suggested to Dahn several times since he entered the office that he try out the nuclear option on the next Cat 3 or higher with a Latino name. 3) By tomorrow evening the RNC will be selling Storm Nuker gear.

7. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I can't think of a clearer case for invoking the 25th than trying to nuke hurricanes.

Does he not understand that a hurricane contains the power of hundreds of nuclear weapons? Mother Nature is peeing herself with laughter right about now.

I mean, you could stop Ebola by nuking the Congo and eliminating its reservoir. Is that going to be on the menu the next time there's an outbreak?

8. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Way past time for the 25th Amendment.

9. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Why don't we just nuke him?

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

10. PCCViking

PCCViking 8X Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Was it ever there?

11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I am dubious as to such a prospect.

appleseed and PCCViking like this.
  12. PCCViking

PCCViking 8X Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    If he went to the Wizard for a brain, the wizard would say, "No."

appleseed and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  13. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Or more like "You're short both a brain and a heart and I don't run two-for-one specials".

14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm also kind of concerned about how much nuclear fallout there'd be from trying to nuke a storm. But then that's possibly climate science and you know how Trump and his people react to science.

And I'm probably being too morbid, but I half expect Trump would try to nuke Puerto Rico instead- no more Puerto Rico, don't need to bother "wasting" money on them anymore when they get hit by another hurricane.

15. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    It's only a crazy idea because it wouldn't work, and seriously, how many of us knew it wouldn't work before we heard this crazy idea?

16. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
  17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    He'd have to acknowledge global warming actually exists first. Otherwise he only brings it up during the winter to mock intelligent people.

I wonder how long until Trump tries to make a dramatic exit (he's probably carrying candy around). He's already grumpy about having to attend the G7 at all, and that visit from the Iran minister probably set him off further. And because he's lucky he'll probably get to have all the G7 conference money go into his Doral club next year. I actually expect him to invite Russian and North Korean guests next year just to spite everyone else too.

18. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Throw in the Saudi's for the hat trick.

19. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    He might with the Saudis. He's said he will for Putin.

He's also essentially admitted that he intends to make a mint out of his obligations as a G7 head of state, but considering the list of crimes he can't yet be brought to trial for at this point, graft is rather anecdotal.

20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Had to do something to shift the narrative away from how he got clowned earlier.

21. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    He is an ill-made, spiteful creature, full of envy, depravity, and low cunning.

22. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    That is a plan that would actually work, and one which I'd support if we were to face sudden extreme climate change or ecosystem collapse. There are a whole load of terrible, unpreventable things that could happen above a certain temperature. The oceans would become death zones and the greenhouse gasses they release would send the environment into an unstoppable greenhouse feedback loop. We would do well to avoid things like this by deliberately seeding the upper atmosphere with dust to filter/reflect heat. Doing so could tide us over until we construct a sun-shield, or, you know, choose to live sustainably. My money's on the sun-shield.

23. Welsh Hero

Welsh Hero Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2016
    sun shield just sounds like what mr burns did in that Simpsons episode

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  24. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I kind-of have to say "fallout".

25. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    They tried that in Highlander 2. It didn’t work. The movie sucked, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.