main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    All for-profit corporate media sucks.

2. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    I'm a pinko commie "lib" and I would Nevah! watch MSNBC, lol.

3. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    How is that any different than Obama hiding his birth certificate for years? Why was one ok and the other isn't?

4. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    Because he released his birth certificate during the campaign and people on the opposite side, cheered on by trump, kept asking for “the real” one. He was the only candidate who had to release the ling from birth certificate. So where’s trumps 1040s?

Rew, Valairy Scot, Nobody145 and 9 others like this.
  5. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    I think making the case that no one should be compared to an animal based on looks isn't racist.

It's fair.

I never once said it was ok, I only said if it can go one way, then it can go the other.

6. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    I suspect it was more of an example of the primitive nature of their culture rather than a direct physical characterization.

And can we really hold up statement from the 60's and 70's to today';s standards?

Language warning!

While the whole thing is funny, it's the second impersonation you should listen to...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000

8. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    No no no, I get the part where a picture like that would have different connotations based on race. Even I am not that stupid.

But the part that doesn't work is that one keyboard warrior can post the Trump picture knowing full well the side he is attacking can't use the same attack. That's not exactly fair.

9. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I'm sure this kind of low brow logic works for common currency in places like the Storm Front forums but it doesn't have a lot of value elsewhere.

Could Obama have shut down some (certainly not all because certain types persists with the notion to this day) of those questioning his citizenship. Sure. But having to prove one's citizenship was not an universally accepted norm of running for president the way the divulging of tax records has become since Watergate. He was basically being put to a higher standard, given an additional hurdle to cross before being deemed acceptable. I can fully understand why he'd not simply cave to that at the first objection from the "he can't possibly be one of us" crowd.

Obama insisted the same standard that existed up to that point applied equally to him. Trump seems to insist that no sort of standards at all apply to himself.

10. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    To be fair, while not all, many of the past presidents have their birth records on line for examination. And 4 other times in history, white candidates have had their births challenged before Obama. It happens.

11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Buuuuuut it happened for Obama because he was black.

That was the reason.

12. Hef

Hef Jedi Master star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    Noooo, it was more likely because a promotional booklet produced in 1991 by his then-literary agency stated he was born in Kenya.

[​IMG]

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Miriam Goderich edited the text of the bio; she is now a partner at the Dystel & Goderich agency, which lists Obama as one of its current clients.

"This was nothing more than a fact checking error by me–an agency assistant at the time," Goderich wrote in an emailed statement to Yahoo News. "There was never any information given to us by Obama in any of his correspondence or other communications suggesting in any way that he was born in Kenya and not Hawaii. I hope you can communicate to your readers that this was a simple mistake and nothing more."

https://reason.com/2012/05/18/about-the-book-agency-entry-saying-obama/

sry hef, thwarted again

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    also breitbart didn't find and publish that bio until 2012, so it's kind of hard to claim it was the "origin of birtherism" or whatever.

15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Nope.

It was because he's black.

It may have originated there. But out of everyone in that whole ****show of a movement, most people thought it because he was black.

16. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Even after his birth certificates have been released, I know people who still believe he has not released anything.

17. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    There is no way to prove it was because Obama was black. That's simple supposition.

Chromide likes this.
  18. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol yeah, any random white candidate certainly would have had to suffer the same "kenya-born muslim" accusations.

it's a good thing this isn't a court of law and nobody actually has to "prove" things. we can just "know" things because they are incredibly obvious.

20. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    In this case correlation means causation - and if someone did a nice stat analysis measuring bias and birtherism correlation you'd have a nice tight positive linear regression.

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

Why? Because you know what else isn’t exactly fair? Racism.

The point that you seem to keep missing is that -fair or not- there is a cultural context in pretty-much every aspect of communication. Context which provides a huge difference in meaning between comparing a white person to an animal, and comparing a person of color. If you want things to be fair, then do more about undoing racism.

22. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Barry Goldwater and George Romney have also been challenged. Was it because they were white?

23. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I think I have an idea of why he was challenged.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Did they have bestsellers written about them explicitly detailing how the supposed birth certificate falsification was part of a sinister plan by a foreign country to place sleeper agents that could enact a revenge-based policy agenda that would destroy the United States?

Because senior editors of conservative flagship publications wrote those about Obama.

25. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Again, to be fair, I can only find times where the accused were Republican.

Those racist Democrats...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.