main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

I'm pretty sure Walter E. Williams, Thomas Sowell, or Marc Lamont Hill are not neo-nazis.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  3. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    heels1785 likes this.
  4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah. It sounds conspiracy theory nonsense.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Quality of Life in states/feeling of "well-being," - based on the average of these five factors: Sense of Purpose, Social Life, Financial Security, Feeling of Community, Physical Health. Poll conducted by Gallup and Healthways:

[​IMG]

Top states - Alaska, Hawaii, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Nebraska, Utah, New Mexico, Texas
    Bottom states - West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, Michigan, Missouri

Will be interesting to see, with three key swing states represented in the bottom tier, if quality of life translates into punishing incumbent parties in 2016.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The states over the Marcellus Shale aren't doing too well.. [face_thinking]

Vaderize03 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought about putting this in the derp thread because it is so damn stupid, not to mention scary as hell.

Kansas may criminalize educators for distributing "harmful material"

Let the book bannings begin. And I guess there are a lot of for-profit prisons in Kansas given how many ridiculous jail sentences will happen if this bill, with its vague and broad language, is passed.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm honestly starting to wonder if the pathological fear of the "other" in many Republicans borders on being a personality disorder or mental illness in some form. I don't say that lightly. This fear drives otherwise rational people to some truly irrational behavior, which happens to be the case for various personality disorders and other mental illnesses. I do not say this for shock value, or to be provocative, although I recognize that it is.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/west-virginia-delegates-gop-obamacare-felony

Throughout the country, we see example after example of local and state legislators attempting things that are either stupid, unconstitutional, or both. The reason behind almost all of these things is the fear of the other in society, and the accompanying fear of change. I'm not talking about being afraid in an ordinary way-- I'm talking about deeply embedded fear that could only be described as terrified, except that that's not really a strong enough word. Just as anxiety drives people to do seemingly irrational things in life, which sometimes manifests as a disorder of some kind, I think it's driving legislators to propose and sometimes pass laws that have no rational basis other than to vainly address fears about a changing world that they have no real control over.

9. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Kinda like what Arkansas just did with gay discrimination.

Sigh.

10. Hank Hill

Hank Hill Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2013
    You've already been warned against posting nothing but youtube videos in Senate threads.

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Hank, what do you think about net neutrality?

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Guess who's running for President!

Trump 2016

Because the country needs him.

13. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    He's gonna be huuuge!

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  15. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    It's the final throes of a party that needs to change, or will disappear entirely.

Demographics is destiny, and the GOP will destroy themselves next year if they don't stop alienating everyone but their base.

Peace,

V-03

16. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Nothing happens overnight. They'll be a force for a long time but a diminishing one if they don't change.
    And if they do change they'll split their party in two and go out with a bang instead of a whimper. Hence the do nothing strategy.

It is hard to see how they won't keep screwing themselves out of getting into the Whote House, surprises aside.

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Don't discount the two-headed beast that is gerrymandering and "voter ID laws."

18. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I don't, but eventually, it won't be enough.

The real question is, how much damage will they do on the way down?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Trump would make a better president than 90% of the GOP presidential candidate field.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No, he wouldn't. He couldn't just file for bankruptcy every time something goes wrong in government.

21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I have this thought of his administration running like the actual Apprentice show, with Ivanka as his VP and Don as his Chief of Staff and he just sits in the Oval firing people whenever they make the most minuscule mistake. I could see a lot of turnover in a Trump administration. And a lot of transparency as he'd likely televise the whole thing: The Apprentice: Trump White House Edition [face_beatup]

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Trump will never run. He's selling a) a book or b) the next season of Celebrity Apprentice.

You think Romney had skeletons in his closet from a life in business, wait until you see Trump's. And Trump is an idiot, but I give him enough credit to assume that he knows he could never be President.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Bush, Walker, Rubio, Paul are leading on most online betting sites as most likely to be the GOP nominee.

With Bush being a rusty dinosaur, Walker and Paul sticking their feet in their mouths, and Rubio being a has-been being pressured not to run... I'm feeling pretty good about Hillary's chances.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    She could be running against four clones of Ronald Reagan, and still win.

It's a numbers game, and the Republicans don't have the numbers where they need them. They've done nothing to appeal to voting bases that they swore they'd reach out to after getting pummeled in 2008.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Why is online gambling involving itself with the seedy world of politics?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.