main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I see a few reasons why ST era did not reach the popularity in expanded content that the PT had…..

1. Making Rey the Last Jedi, this was a mistake. Fans were used to seeing more then one Jedi on screen together after the PT era. That doesn’t mean the ST should have copied the PT, but having at least a few Jedi alive would have been nice.

2. Killing off Luke Skywalker, right after he returned to being a true Jedi. Carrie Fisher passing away before TLJ was released should have also influenced them to change Luke’s ending. Let him train Rey, if he needs to die in the ST, do it in TRoS.

3. The ST era is to short. The PT benefits with the 3 year gap between AoTC and RoTS. The gaps between the OT films has also been good, allowing more stories in comic/book form. The only gap for the ST is just 1 year between TLJ and TRoS. Sure one could cram in a few season animated show, but Rey should be given more time to trained and the Resistance grow, Kylo in control of the FO, etc…..another 3 year gap would have been nice.

2. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    It has nothing to do with liking or disliking the ST. The ST characters didn't take a hold on the market. Why would a business try to force it instead of doing it over - especially after they've admitted it was a mistake?

Disney could do a lot of things. Infinite possibilities - some have been rumored over the years yet nothing has made it. How these things tend to play out is predictable - which is where this is headed.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Why would they redo an entire trilogy when they can just make new content furthering the timeline? Many main PT characters (Dooku, Anakin, Padme) weren’t exactly loved by general audiences in the years after the releases. They are now because there is more content around them.

Also ST characters wouldn’t even need to be beloved if the future stories were focused upon new characters and the older characters had cameos (I’m doubtful the general audience wouldn’t still be excited to see Rey or Finn to be honest, but whatever, I’m working with the premise you have). If those new characters are beloved what’s the big deal? Disney have what you are saying they need without the whole go around.

I’m not sure how you can’t see your motivated reasoning here. You don’t like the ST and you really want it redone. You are correct that they need new and engaging stories moving the story forward, but you’ve convinced yourself that the only way to do that is to redo the ST, so you’re certain that it’s going to happen because it’s the only sound business decision. The reality is that it simply isn’t. They’ll just make new stories moving forward and fix elements of the ST with non-theatrical content. That’s the sound business decision.

4. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Thing is, not all Star Wars material will hold the market. what are they gonna do? Ignore the ones that don't work? Kinda hard to take Lucasfilm seriously if they did that. This is certainly not one of those franchises that you can do that with.

5. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    We'll find out soon enough. Iger addressing Star Wars is inevitable.

6. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Come on man. You can’t be dismissive of everyone who disagrees, and when people want to have a discussion about it just say “we’ll see.” You’re very convinced they will remake the ST, I’m not sure why your argument isn’t more bulletproof than this.

bstnsx704, TCF-1138 , Othini and 2 others like this.
  7. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Come on. Don’t you remember his theories about the ST back in the day? The internet is full of people like this. They want to believe something and start twisting facts until they bend reality to their liking.

8. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I minimize my time going back and forth on the internet when my points stand for themselves - especially when too many get sensitive in their feelings.

Case in point.

9. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Your points don’t stand for themselves though, and if they did you should be able to easily dismantle anything put to you. I’ve also made it clear that I don’t really care if the ST gets remade. I’m fine if they want to work with it, but if they don’t, that’s fine as well. But your argument that it’s “the only thing to do” just doesn’t really hold that much water since it’s not the only business sound business decision which could be made to made.

It sounds like you just don’t really want to hear that it’s by no means the most likely outcome. Maybe it’s time to accept the ST and move on?

10. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    They are not going to remake the ST, even though the ST failed in various ways. Though there have been some retcons in current canon, the powers that be still want the appearance of one unified canon. Various other Star Wars works still reference the ST too.

They are going to keep doing what they are doing now….focusing on non-ST Star Wars.

I’m 100% certain the next film is not going to be about the ST cast.

Besides by continuing to focus on pre-ST content, there are more storytelling possibilities. For those who want to see more of the Big 3, New Republic era for that. Plenty of options too for Non-Skywalker tales.

11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Are you though? Because you keep changing the goalposts as soon as someone tries to correct you on the business parts.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Right. From a purely business perspective it just doesn’t make any sense either. They aren’t going to be able to recapture the kind of magic of bringing the original actors back after 32 years that catapulted TFA to 2 billion dollars. Carrie Fisher is sadly gone and we’ve now seen the actors return several times. They’d be sinking more money into films that won’t make as much money as the films they’re replacing. It’s an asinine thing to even suggest.

13. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    No offence, but coming from a poster that wants to reboot the ST with a new trilogy that uses de- aging / deep fake versions of Luke, Han and Leia at the front - you have got to ask questions if your ideas are even suitable for an audience. Both in terms of a storytelling narrative and pure rational quality filmmaking - that is a concept i find tacky and not progressive. Not to say that it would probably also provide to be a bad business idea that would harm the franchise or cheapen its core of being innovative.I am a cinephile, filmnerd, and a Star Wars fan. This sounds awful on all accounts.

14. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    In the case of Indiana Jones, we know that LFL has already asked this question, and answered it in the affirmative.

Is the situation different with Star Wars? Yes. But, they are increasingly confident in the technology, that hurdle is getting resolved more and more, at least they believe it is. We already have deepfaked/de-aged Luke and Leia, that bell can’t be un-rung.

2Cleva likes this.
  15. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Pretty sure @Othini was referring to a whole trilogy of de-aged main characters.

Othini and rocknroll41 like this.
  16. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    No need for me to dismantle everything when time reveals all.

Folks in their feelings I don't take their theories seriously or accept the ST should wonder more why Disney isn't accepting the ST or following any of those theories.

Those "corrections" don't hold up or the actions of the company would be different. If others want to believe it they can - not worth my time convincing.

This. Pandora's Box has already been opened.

17. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    You’ve got to be trolling. You can’t be staying these things without a smirk across your face because people here are foolish enough to take you seriously.

Your whole schtick is acting like the guy who is sober and accurately assessing every situation. At a certain point you have to live up to the schtick or another reputation will begin to precede you, especially since you’ve doubled down by refusing to even engage anyone on your predictions, which is kind of the point of a forum.

18. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Please, don’t let people go home without a taste of your previous insight, don’t be so humble!

https://boards.theforce.net/threads...on-page-2447.50046730/page-2182#post-54490705

Just a random search ;)

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Those "corrections" were literally explaining things you got demonstrably wrong.
    You're either a) so emotionally invested in this idea that you'll get the "proper" ST that you've actually convinced yourself that you're just being logical and approaching this from a business point of view (which you are not), or you're b) trolling.

I don’t know which is sadder.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Ok, this has gone on long enough.

If you're not going to bother to back up your claims with actual argument points then don't bring up this subject again. People have been engaging you for three days, with arguments that you just hand wave whenever your logic is challenged. You ARE just trolling at this point. People aren't "in their feelings" for pointing that out. We're moving on from this. Until it's announced otherwise, the ST stands as canon. No more theories about reboots without something concrete to back it up with.

This goes for everyone

Guidman , Riv_Shiel, Othini and 8 others like this.
  21. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Movie in pre-production now.

22. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    The article forgot to mention Shawn Levy’s movie (when listing all the different films in development).

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Fingers crossed it’s Rian’s film! [face_dancing]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah. The ST lost a lot of epic cred by feeling like it all happened on a Saturday afternoon.

25. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Biggest mistake for me is barely any time skips. But you can tell great stories still right before TFA and right after TROS.