main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Video Game Draft Version 4.0: IT CAN STOP TIME! (Goooooooo Matches) - Winner: BaSSiL

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Shadow_of_Durron, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I love JK cohesion jokes in the VGD.

let's just give him Bowser and the Mushroom Kingdom team.

2. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Sorry, had to do it. Call it one of EF's "Judgments from Yesteryear" or whatever he had going.

3. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    I was actually thinking something more along the lines of Dante! and Friends

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Well, all the FF characters get hit by Supernova and it doesn't kill them. So there's that to consider. And game mechanic or not, there is no denying that they do get hit by powerful monsters and it barely scratches them. So while we may not say 'a Dante attack does 3000HP' we can say that one sword strike will probably not kill Cloud. But that's up to the judges I suppose.

5. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Well, all the FF characters get hit by Supernova and it doesn't kill them. So there's that to consider. And game mechanic or not, there is no denying that they do get hit by powerful monsters and it barely scratches them. So while we may not say 'a Dante attack does 3000HP' we can say that one sword strike will probably not kill Cloud. But that's up to the judges I suppose.

We use movies from the games for everything else though, so can't we legitimate say that someone like, oh, I don't know, Aerith, would die from a single sword strike, because it did happen in the game? I'm not sure if anyone else significant died throughout the game, I never actually finished VII. Since it didn't work that way for Aerith though, shouldn't we assume it wouldn't work that way for everyone else? I mean, when you're playing with Aerith in the game, she can take loads of strikes in the randomly encountered fights, so that might lead one to believe that she can do that all the time. Then she goes and dies from just one sword strike?

Ehh, seems odd to me that we would judge them on their in-battle durability when there are movies stating the exact opposite.

6. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    We use movies from the games for everything else though, so can't we legitimate say that someone like, oh, I don't know, Aerith, would die from a single sword strike, because it did happen in the game?

Aren't you leaving out a fairly critical couple words from that sentence? Shouldn't it go a bit more like this:

Aerith would die from a single sword strike from Sephiroth, because...

Um... Sephiroth's one of absolute strongest characters out there. If his fight in Advent Children doesn't display that enough, how about this fight from back in his good guy days in Crisis Core? Yeah, it's a virtual simulation, but one would think it's still a perfectly accurate representation of the strength of his strikes and slashes, since he's done just as well as that outside of sims.

And yeah, Cloud got hurt by a bullet at the end of Advent Children, but one has to keep in mind that he'd just ran a pretty hellish gauntlet of battles. He went from the Bahamut battle, right into a fight/high-speed chase with Loz and Yazoo, then into a fight with Kadaj and then right into the big battle with Sephiroth. If that doesn't wear a person down to a nub, I don't know what does. And so then, yeah, after he's totally worn down and lets his gaurd down, he gets shot by Yazoo from behind. But even then, the bullet didn't take him out. No, it was more the massive spells they unleashed on him when he charged them (Those spells being Comet and Flare, apparantly. Two of the absolute most powerful spells around.)

And yeah, Zack was taken down by gunfire, but only after he'd gone through an entire legion of troops firing away at him.

So no, it's not as simple as Aeris being taken down by a single sword strike.

7. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Shadow of Durron, you are a liar and you will spend an eternity in this thread! [face_whistling]

8. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    That's a decent enough feat for Sephiroth's durability, when he's engulfed in flame. Does Cloud have a similar one? I've only seen bits and pieces of Advent Children.

Anyways, I'm not sure I see the correlation between being tired and having, I suppose you'd call it reduced durability. So Cloud just got out of a bunch of really tough fights. Was he hit in those really tough fights? Before he got shot, had he been taking all kinds of other direct body hits that would somehow make his body more vulnerable to a single bullet than it would've been had he not been through all of that? I mean, he's human, isn't he? Obviously an advanced human, but a human nonetheless. Therefore, his being tired shouldn't affect how many bullets he can take to the chest without dying, right?

As for Zack, I've watched pieces of him dodging all of those bullets, but do any actually hit him? I mean before it actually shows him getting hit? Again, as far as I know, tired =/= decreased durability. If a guy is worn out, he's not going to be able to take bullets any easier than if he isn't worn out. They'll either kill him, like they appear to for most FF characters, or they won't, and excuse me for pulling out this example, like they appear not to for Shadow the Hedgehog.

I'm not exactly trying to argue against it as much as I'm trying to understand why these guys are judged this way.

9. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Yep, he sure was hit. He took the brunt of Bahamut's massive fireball attack head on, and he survived. I'd have to look again, but I think Loz tagged him a couple times during the chase. Then he got creamed by one of Seph's shots, which he blocked, but it still sent him flying through a solid wall anyway. And then he was delivered a pretty hardcore kick and then stabbed by Seph shortly before the end of the fight. His HP was definitely down... so to speak.

EDIT: And yes, Zack actually takes a boatload of bullets before actually keeling over. And I mean the fight he had in Crisis Core. His actual last stand. Not the fight shown in Last Order. He owns those guys.

10. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    It's fun having a character that is already getting pimped by just about everyone in the thread.

11. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    The knocking down probably won't start until he actually has to fight someone.

12. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I can only find video of what I think is his Crisis Core fight, where he's dodging all of those bullets. I can't find any video of him being fired on where he does get hit.

Thanks for answering the questions though.

13. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    I don't think anyone drafted thus far has the go to beat him, really good drawn out and close matches a lot of them but no losses. But idunno, it is hard to get a grasp on these guys, they seems to change from draft to draft. The tough match ups like we have seen in the past (anything combo of the top 5 elite picks) are great to see but so hard to judge, someone has to lose but it doesn't seem that either should being as powerful as they are.

Still taken at his peak, I don't see Sephiroth going down.

14. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Well well. He did excellent last draft so.

1) Soki (Onimusha)

15. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Yes! My turn at last! [face_dancing]

I'll pick someone who can compete with the guys who take the hits and just keep on hitting.

1. Vincent Valentine (Final Fantasy VII)

[image=http://www.testriffic.com/resultfiles/9159guys97.jpg]

16. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Wow, didn't see those picks coming. Good to see new picks in the first round though, especially when they aren't ones I want to get later.

17. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I was actually quite surprised to see that Vincent was still around, he was in my top 3 picks from the beginning.

18. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Round 1

1. Chim - Sephiroth (FF VII)
    2. Hammurabi - Dante (Devil May Cry)
    3. captain_fantastic - Cloud Strife (FF VII)
    4. BaSSiL - KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
    5. TheManinBlack - Squall Leonhart (FF VIII)
    6. Inty - Kefka (FF VI)
    7. JK20043 - Soki (Onimusha)
    8. The_Loyal_Imperial - Vincent Valentine (FF VII)
    9. PRENN - ON THE CLOCK!
    10. Stryker_360
    11. Zizz
    12. Kiwi

Round 2

1. Kiwi
    2. Zizz
    3. Stryker_360
    4. PRENN
    5. The_Loyal_Imperial
    6. JK20043
    7. Inty
    8. TheManinBlack
    9. BaSSiL
    10. captain_fantastic
    11. Hammurabi
    12. Chim

Draft List

Castlevania

Alucard
    Juste Belmont
    Richter Belmont
    Simon Belmont
    Soma Cruz
    Cursers of Dracula
    Ruiners of Portraits

Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross

Crono
    Magus
    Dalton
    Zeal
    A Frog and a... Robot?
    Crono's Ladies
    Magus' Goons
    Kid (Cross)
    Lynx (Cross)
    Serge (Cross)

Devil May Cry

Lady
    Lucia
    Nevan
    Phantom
    Trish
    Vergil

Final Fantasy

Terra Branford (VI)
    Celes Chere (VI)
    Locke Cole (VI)
    Edgar Roni Figaro (VI)
    Sabin Rene Figaro (VI)
    Setzer Gabbiani (VI)
    Cyan Garamonde (VI)
    Mog (VI)
    Relm Arrowny (VI)
    Shadow (VI)
    Strago Magus (VI)
    Ultros (VI)
    Barret Wallace (VII)
    Tifa Lockheart (VII)
    Aerith Gainsborough (VII)
    Red XIII (VII)
    Yuffie Kisaragi (VII)
    Cid Highwind (VII)
    Zack Fair (Crisis Core)
    Angeal Hewley (Crisis Core)
    Genesis Rhapsodos (Crisis Core)
    Rinoa Heartilly (VIII)
    Quistis Trepe (VIII)
    Zell Dincht (VIII)
    Irvine Kinneas (VIII)
    Selphie Tilmitt (VIII)
    Seifer Almasy (VIII)
    Esthar's Finest
    Zidane Tribal (IX)
    Garnet Til Alexandros XVII (IX)
    Vivi Ornitier (IX)
    Adelbert Steiner (IX)
    Freya Crescent (IX)
    Amarant Coral (IX)
    Eiko Carrol (IX)
    Kuja (IX)
    Tidus (X)
    Auron (X)
    Wakka (X)
    Kimahri Ronso (X)
    Lulu (X)
    Rikku (X)
    Yuna (X)
    Seymour Guado (X)
    Ashe (XII) *primarily black mage*
    Balthier (XII) *primarily gun user*
    Basch fon Ronsenberg (XII) *primarily heavy melee*
    Fran (XII) *primarily archer*
    Penelo (XII) *primarily white mage*
    Vaan (XII) *primarily light melee*
    Vayne Carudas Solidor (XII)
    Cidolfus Orlandeau (Tactics)
    Marche (Tactics Advance)
    MontBlanc (Tactics Advance)

Fire Emblem

Ashnard
    Griel
    Ike
    Black Knight
    Giffca
    King Kilvas
    Mist
    Oscar
    Reyson
    Tibarn
    Titania

Guilty Gear

Chipp Zanuff
    Dizzy
    Judgment
    Justice
    Ky Kiske
    Slayer
    Sol Badguy
    Testament

Jade Empire

The Last Spirit Monk *open palm or closed fist*
    Sun Li
    Death's Hand
    Sagacious Zu
    Wild Flower *Chai Ka or Ya Zhen*

Kingdom Hearts

Sora
    Riku
    Roxas
    Xemnas
    Saix
    Xaldin
    Xigbar
    Marluxia
    Larxene
    Lexaeus
    Axel
    Demyx

Metroid

Samus Aran
    Dark Samus
    Meta-Ridley
    Ghor
    Rundas
    Gandrayda

Metal Gear

Solid Snake
    Liquid Snake
    Solidus Snake
    Big Boss
    Raiden
    Gray Fox
    Colonel Volgin
    The Boss
    Foxhound
    The Cobras

Mortal Kombat

Liu Kang
    Sub-Zero
    Raiden
    Kung Lao
    Scorpion
    Reptile
    Shang Tsung
    Quan Chi
    Shao Kahn
    Onaga
    Motaro
    Blaze
    Shokans
    Edinia
    Special Forces
    Noob/Smoke
    Pointy Teeth
    Black Dragons
    Red Dragons
    Cyborgs

Onimusha

Samanosuke Akechi
    Jubei Yagyu
    Jacques Blanc
    Nobunaga Oda
    Dawn of Dreams

Resident Evil

Alexia Ashford
    S.T.A.R.S.
    Umbrella
    Los Illuminados
    Tyrants

Skies of Arcadia

Vyse
    Aika
    Fina
    Piastol
    Galcian
    Ramirez
    Blue Rogues

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic
    Shadow
    Tails
    Knuckles
    Blaze
    Silver

Street Fighter

Ryu
    Ken Masters
    Akuma
    Gill
    M. Bison

Suikoden Series

Tir McDohl
    Riou

19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004

I disagree. But who cares what I think, right?

Also, boy did I underestimate Zack last time I was judge. Maybe because Crisis Core hadn't come out yet, but he pwns in Last Order too. He may not be the best SOLDIER, but they're all pretty sweet.

20. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    It was just odd seeing him go in the first round is all, I think he went in the third or fourth round last draft. Doesn't really matter though, draft order doesn't really mean all that much.

21. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I guess not. Now, to hope that my next pick isn't taken before my next turn. [face_praying]

22. KiwiRogue

KiwiRogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    Yep... I knew he'd take Soki.

And no! Not Vincent! I wanted him as my 4th pick! :p Sorry dude. As awesome as Vincent is, you could have waited for the next round, or the round after that for him.

Waiting on PRENN... do your research and delve into the past!

23. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I have a sneaking suspicion that me and Kiwi might luck out here.

Hopefully, the three picks I need to be there still will be by the time my pick rolls around. I've got 2 preferable top twos.

24. KiwiRogue

KiwiRogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    I don't want to luck out! I want to stay away from that whole franchise this time... [face_worried]

:p

25. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    The thing is that a lot of the popular characters who'll be taken, I don't want. I like some of the lesser known options. Just as an example: I'd never pick Cloud or Sora.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.