main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The World Cup thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedi_Loon, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    If only I could use the c-word! o_O

It would pretty much sum up how we all RonaldMcDonaldo. [face_plain]

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

I have a major issue with divers

I am one of the first to berate England players when they go down and I am a strong advocate of diving getting an immediate red card and for all matches to be watched by the refs afterwards with post game red card issued for dives they've missed (with a cumulative effect e.g. dive 3 times you miss 3 matches)

Chobnaldo is one of the worst divers in the premiership along with Robben, Owen, Reyes and others.

As far as I'm concerned any diver deserves abuse (not death threats etc... my photo was a joke) and anyone who tries to influence a ref deserves abuse as well (thats another thing that should be a carding offense)

I could go on but it frustrates me.

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Pretty sure Rooney was sent off for pushing Ronaldo, and not for the stamp. After he pushed him, that's when the ref went for the card. It was a stupid act by Rooney. We all know that retaliating is a straight red. He did exactly what Beckham did in '98

And yet, this time the media is gunning for Ronaldo, whereas in 98 they went for Beckham. A strange turnaround.

Rooney cocked up bigtime, yet we would rather look past that and use Ronaldo as a scapegoat. He was stupid as well, but let's look at the reality here.

4. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    Finally, an England fan with some sense.

5. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Don't get me wrong. Ronaldo is a ****. His reaction to the bench after the sending-off showed that. He knows Rooney, and how to push him (pardon the pun), and Rooney took the bait. Ronaldo is guilty of Unsporting Behaviour (or whatever the damned phrase is these days), but in the end, Rooney only has himself to blame. He retaliated, and got sent off. Just like Beckham

6. GeneralGrievous1

Feb 6, 2005
    I agree with most of that. I don't agree with Ronaldo being a ****, but only becuase i'm not an England fan and I am a Man U fan.

7. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Don't quite follow that logic. I'm an England fan, and can quite happily state that I think Rooney was an idiot. It's nothing to do with the team you support, but the actions of a specific player, regardless.

8. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I believe it's now called "Being an total prat!" o_O

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    He really shouldn't dive

But he's not the only one who does it
    Arjen Robben is also a bad one, desptie his quality as a plyer

10. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    You gotta love YouTube at times! :D

How true is this clip? [face_laugh]

11. GeneralGrievous1

Feb 6, 2005
    True indeed.

Something must be done about this diving.

12. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000

14. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm not 100% sure it was a red card offence a Yellow could have been sufficient according to the rules (I think) but I do agree that Rooney should not have risen to the bait.

Regardless my arguement is about cutting out diving which has been appalling in this World Cup and is getting worse in the premiership and players accross the board are doing it now.

It used to be a Continental issue but if you listen to various pundits even they're advocating we do it as it's being done to us.

FIFA need to get it sorted. Blatter out and Beckenbaur in and you'll see a greatly improved FIFA.

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I agree about the diving. Refs were told it was an instant booking at least, but most of the time, they ignored that and let play go on.

The other thing that bugs me is players going up to the ref. Captain only.

I can't wait for the match when all the players surround the ref, and he gets out his yellow card and books the lot of them. That's all it needs.

And it all depends on what Rooney was sent off for. If it was for pushing Ronaldo, then he has no cause for complaint. Everyone knows that that is a red card offence. If it was for the stamp, well then it's cause for discussion

16. _Durge_

_Durge_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2003
    the ref confirmed it was for the foul
    i personally think he got the message over his ear piece that he should send him off due to the stamp and hence him looking like he was just going to give a foul and then suddenly he was calling rooney over to give out the card
    he confirmed ronaldo or any player had nothing to do with the decision
    rooney was being fouled by at least 2 players with 3 surrounding him
    the fact he didnt do 3 back flips and roll for about a mile went against him (but credit to him which we shouldnt forget)
    i think it was more of a stamp to say 'get off me'
    its easy to say he shouldnt have done it
    but from a footballers perspective its very frustrating being kicked and fouled and nothing done

17. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    Like Durge says, the ref has comfirmed that is was the foul, but I was confused for a while as the ref did wait before going for his pocket until after the push. I guess he was going to send him off but wanted to keep control of the match, but still failed.

As for the scapegoat, well our media will always look for one, and in 98 it seemed simple with Beckham been an idiot, there wasn't much diving or anything (well Owen). In this they can blame it on was of the forgieners, not the boy wonder.

Personally I agree with Burt, and yourself Hal, diving and the surrounding of the ref is getting out of control. But diving can be hard to deal, as there are times when a player can actually fall though losing balance and can sometimes be accused of diving.

18. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    If a player loses balance and falls over he should get straight back up and be 'oops i fell, no foul'
    More than 2 rolls is unnecesary when fouled. If your leg hurts that much rolling on it is going to make it worse. I think divers should be made to wear a snorkel and flippers for the rest of the match.

19. jedi_master_booth

jedi_master_booth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 2005
    Im sorry But not being a footie fan I realy cant see the point of it all ! I mean I wouldnt Mind if they could play but from what Ive seen with the World Cup Its just Pathetic - Over payed well spoilt men running around a pitch playing pas the ball to each other They werent even Trying.

This is what should happen Take away all of there Priviledges and give them £5 per hour and a Bonus if they score a Goal !

failing that SACK THEM ALL and get some Lads off the streets who can Realy play Football ( I mean The Women play better than the Men - How about The women do the world Cup from Now on to show the Men How to play football !)

20. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

lol

21. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Believe me, it shows. o_O

22. GeneralGrievous1

Feb 6, 2005
    Couple of nice goals by Schweinstieger (sp?). I'm sure everyone in this country is happy to see Portugal being thumped, even if it is by the Germans.

Even I am starting to get sick of Ronaldo now. His constant diving and big-headedness is getting on my nerves and i'm now hoping Real Madrid snap him up and give us some decent money to spend on decent players. Ronaldo plays for himself, not for the team, and thinks he can score from anywhere (as demonstrated in that 40 yard free kick which would never have beaten a professional keeper). And as for the diving, it's pathetic and shows a total lack or respect for the opponents. If I remember correctly, it took just 1 minute and 4 seconds for him to fall on his backside this evening.

Portugal should have played Figo from the start.

23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Interesting final so far.

Probably the most bizarre penalty in the last 20 years. Hits the crossbar, bounces down, bounces up, hits the crossbar, and comes out again. Crossed the line though.

And a nice equaliser

24. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Zidane sent off, and damned right. Glad to see all the officials working together for once.

Henry off, Vieira off, Zidane sent off. Any penalty takers left?

I hope Italy win. Disgraceful behaviour from the French captain, and in his last game, and in a World Cup Final.

If Italy don't win, this whole tournament has been a ****ing farce [face_plain]

25. jangofett9

jangofett9 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2004
    couldnt agree more Hal....I mean how could there not be intent behind Zidane's attack?! disgusting behaviour.......and deserved to be sent off.....

Italy to win....they deserve it out of the two

26. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    AND ITALY WIN!!!!

JUSTICE IS SERVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.