main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit This facility is crude, but it should be adequate- Official Technology Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Subspace radios fulfill that action. All ships have them and we know FTL communication exists because the Death Star got confirmation that the Millenniums Falcon “blasted” out of Mos Eisley hours after it occurred. It would be interesting to know which is faster. Travel or communication; but it seems relatively similar.

Hamburger_Time likes this.
  2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I recall WEG discussing FTL communication in one of their sourcebooks - in particular something about how FTL transmissions are enabled through hyperspace S-threads - but dang it, I can't remember which one.

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Technology was never my forte, but it seems that faster-than-light transmissions (or hyperwaves) are achieved by sending signals via the hyperspace, using relays to ensure the transmission.

Sarge likes this.
  4. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Legends had three or four methods for ships to communicate with other ships, as described in Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition, though unfortunately with little discussion of origins. The first are coms, which have standard ightspeed propagation like radio (and which presumably ARE radio). The second was subspace radio, which is the cheapest and most common form of FTL communication, which allow realtime broadcast over approximately 25 light years, though some systems had sufficient power to send signals further. More capable was hyperradio, which allowed ships to broadcast messages directly through hyperspace, over practically limitless distances. It was an expensive, carefully guarded technology, with outrageous power requirements. It was limited almost exclusively to the Imperial Navy, and therein typically available only to important Imperial command ships. Finally, there was the HoloNet, which used special hyperspace technology to connect all members of the Republic in a real-time holographic communications network; ships could relay messages over this system. It was constructed at the height of the Old Republic, and was regarded as one of its greatest accomplishments, and as being responsible (along with hyperdrive) for holding the Republic together. However, Palpatine dismantled the HoloNet, crippling his foes' ability to coordinate and redirecting the funds for the fantastically expensive system to the Imperial war machine. He later reinstated part of the HoloNet for military use only, providing the Imperial Navy a huge coordination advantage over the Rebellion. By the early years of the New Republic, both sides spent large sums of credits to keep existing parts of the HoloNet functional, though it was still largely limited to top-level military communication of both sides.

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    BTW, this particular method at least is canon too.

Yunzabit likes this.
  6. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Has their ever been a depiction of some type of hallucinogenic gas being used in a grenade as a weapon? I couldn't find anything on wookieepedia.

7. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Would a hypervelocity star possibly be a hazard in hyperspace travel?

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If the story need it to be: Yes.

9. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Not that I'm aware of.
    Yes, in the sense that all stellar phenomena are hazards that must be tracked and accounted for by navicomputers. But as a special hazard that's more difficult to account for than, say, bouncing too close to a supernova? Probably not. Hypervelocity stars are (obviously) stars, which means that:
    A. They're very luminous, so they're quite noticeable from a distance and thus very likely to be accounted for in standard navicomputer data; and
    B. They're very massive, which, in combination with their high velocity, means they have a lot of inertia. They won't unexpectedly change paths with anything less than superweapon-levels of energy input.

10. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Yeah that makes sense and since HV stars are a relatively new discovery; Star Wars probably hasn’t thought of it yet

Hallucinogenic gas I’m surprised but their is a lot of different types of gas that do different things (based on Wookieepedia) so it’s a moot point.

11. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    I'm trying to find a tech that hasn't been done yet in Disney canon or Legends. I'm very picky and I often can't decide. After thinking I've determined that I can't use it if:

1. It exists in canon, rendering it a moot point

2. If it already appeared in Legends. (No point using stale material)

3. If it can't fit into Star Wars, due to the fact that it would alter the story too much, or be too big of a game-changer

4.If it exists in the real world (even if its only in the prototype or testing stage) ruining the "special" future world feel.

5. If it just doesn't fit.

Here's my final list. Just pick ONE that you think can work in Star Wars and meets all 4-5 criteria. I will give my commentary for each. The commentary is mixed and torn on picking any one idea.

1.Orbital greenhouse

-I like this one but Star Wars has a million terrestrial planets you could put a greenhouse on, so putting it in orbit seems like a waste of time. Also, Star Wars often is (duh) at war, and I feel that this would be destroyed easily.

2. Orbital farm

-This is very similar to the first one but their are advantages of farming in low-earth orbit. Yet, you can devote a whole world to farming, so I feel that it might be a waste of time, but it certainly is a good way to farm

3. Sky plantation

-This would be a floating plantation. It could exist in the atmosphere of a gas giant, and the giant space it would take up would be averted. A plantation grows cash crops, so it'd be important and a target for destruction

4. Kaleidoscopic flowers using electronic ink

-This one is purely aesthetic but I'm not 100% sure if this exists in the real world or not. It certainly seems doable with current technology, but I feel its too trivial to even mention in a SW story. You shouldn't have to explain what it even is, even though it'd be a fun decoration.

5. Real toy soldiers using nanotechnology

-This would be an AWESOME toy for kids. Imagine having tons of 2 inch stormtroopers fighting against Rebel soldiers. However, hey could be hazardous or expensive and kids might not like not being in full control of their toys. Toy soldiers/action figures already exist in canon, so it might negate them existing, because if its not seen, its chance to exist was lost. You could always say only the rich kids could have them, but droid technology is ubiquitous in Star Wars (at least I think)

6.Nanotechnology that renders explosives useless

-This would be a great asset in battle! I can even imagine calling them nano-nullifiers. However, this could be a potential game changer, altering the side of war but it also could be rare or expensive.

7. Alpha wave induction sets

-Alpha waves are the waves that occur in your brain when you are relaxed and help with performance and relaxation. However, the Jedi could do this with meditation, and would encourage other non Force-sensitives to do the same. It would be cool to relax ourself, but technology should never take away from the mysticism of the Jedi.

8. De-icing composites

-I don't think this exists yet on Earth but I could be wrong. This tech could be the behind the scenes method of keeping the ships at Echo Base from being covered with ice. This composite would remove ice crystals and impede their growth. As far as I know, nothing in Empire negates this thing existing as it was never said, that the ships were having problems in the cold. They even said they modified the T-47's to fly in the cold.

9. Fiber optic translucent silk

-Don't know if this exists yet on Earth and it might already exist in Star Wars. I searched wookieepedia but found nothing. It makes sense that glowing silk would prmiere at some point in SW, maybe as part of Padme Amidala's Lady Gaga-esque wardrobe.

10. Diagnostic toilets

- Diagnostic toilets are making their early debut in Japan, but they could always be more advanced and do things Earth ones can't do. However, they may be so innocuous in SW, and just be considered an already trivial part of a toilet (yes toilets exist in Star Wars) and their is no need to highlight it.

11. Smart flooring

-I don't think this exists quite yet, but I'm not even sure what could be made "smart" with a floor.

12. Genomic vaccines

-Again, genomic vaccines while a new thing here on Earth, may be just called vaccines in the SW galaxy and their is no need to mention that they are genomic. They could just be a commonplace as anything.

13. Stratospheric aerosols

- I know SW canon uses air scrubber farms to clean pollution on Eriadu, but if climate change is real, their might be no need for them as if they screw up one world, they could always just move to one of the other 400 billion possible worlds.

14. Planetary scale spectroscopy

- I don't know if it exists yet. Regular spectroscopy is boring (the study of light refracting), so it may not even be worth a mention but it could be interesting to do it on a planetary scale

15. A.I. that writes computer code

-Coding is a relatively new discipline but you can assume Star Wars off-screen had implemented this in the past centuries. However, code might be too hard for droids to do. I could be dead wrong; and also this could be possibly dangerous teaching droids to code. I don't know.

16. Fusion power home fuel cell

-Fusion power has an odd place in canon. It seems in some sources to be the main way to power things, but the young adult reader book "Most Wanted" referred to it as 'ancient' when discovering it was used to power a droid. That being aside, this may be VERY well how SW citizens power their homes, and like a few others, doesnt even need to be mentioned and instead just called a home fuel cell. Nothing special that it uses fusion to power it.

17. Yobibyte computer storage

-I KNOW for a fact that this currently impossible with today's technology as one Yobibyte is equivalent to 1 septillion bytes, a number incomprehensible to the human brain. This very well could be the processing power of a Matrioksha Brain in SW; A Matrioksha Brain being a computer the size of a planet. However, this could cause a continuity problem, as the data-tapes on Scarif from Rogue One could only hold 512 million exanodes of storage. It may be too advanced for the time but it is damn cool and I love that I can share this info

18. Photonic (Light bomb)

-This wouldn't be a weapon like the photon torpedos from Star Trek, but instead be a bomb that would produce a huge bright light in space encompassing a whole solar system for a few minutes, blinding eyes and sensors. However, this could be a game changer, as it would allow ships to escape more easily. It could be introduced later in the timeline, but it would still be super effective regardless

19. Supermundane planets

-Supermundane planets are gas giants that have a giant ring built around them that i habitabile for terrestrial life-forms . While extremely cool, it would likely be VERY expensive to make (10 times that of a Death Star) and not necessary as their are billions of terrestrial worlds to settle on, so they wouldn't need to do it. Yet, their is always someone who is a pioneer and wants to do things just to do them

20. Hypersonic drones

-I think drones on Earth were tested to be hypersonic, and blew up. So they havent gotten all the bugs out yet. However, I'm sure the SW galaxy would be able to figure it out. However, drones in SW might very well already be hypersonic and their would be no point in pointing it out. However, starfighters in SW, all fly below hypersonic speeds in the atmosphere.......

21. De-nuclearization Laser

-This may seem like silly techno-babble but having a laser that could make nuclear fallout, refuge and radiation safe again; is a great boon. However, nuclear weapons were rare in both Legends and Canon. Phasma's homeworld Parnassos in new canon had an irradiated area, but we don't know when that event took place so perhaps they didn't have the tech to remove radiation yet when it happened or Parnossos was too far out to bother.

22. A.I. Financial Trading System

- In Legends, Boba Fett used the sock market on a planet, so this could very well exist. However, the trading system may have been automated for many centuries, and it might be nothing new or special. Still its cool

23. 3D Modelling Microscope

- A microscope that can show you holographic 3-d images of what you're looking at would be awesome. Microscopes were mentioned in canon in Heir to the Jedi, but SW tends to be very non-flashy with their tech. Everything is usally '70's retrofuturism and the microscope could just be like ours. Yet nothing says it isn't.

24. A.I. Mathematical Formula Developer and Solver

-This most likely already exists in both SW and the real world, but I could be wrong. It would be EXTREMELY helpful to scientists, but it might also be a game-changer and create algorithms that could turn the tide of battles. Also, if this existed, it might solve the Unified Theory of Physics and we wouldn't be able to write that as we currently have no clue what dark matter is or does. It might be getting a little ahead of ourselves.

25. Foreign Agent Detecting Ventilation System

-This would be a great security measure for both the Empire, Rebels, First Order, Resistance whatever, but it might be either too innocuous to mention or it could kill stories where the hero/villain wants to pump poison gas into a building to eliminate his enemies.

26. Repair Helper Computer

- This would be a great tool for someone not good with fixing ships, but it could take all the gritty fun out of being a mechanic. Also, I don't know if the Millennium Falcon's computer talking to C-3PO already counts as that.

27. Geo-seismic stabilizer system

- Earthquakes are a big problem on Earth, and having something that could protect buildings would be an enormous asset. However, I don't know if earthquakes in SW have caused damage to buildings. I know they have occurred in both Legends and Canon. One planet in canon was supposedly devastated by a mega-hurricane followed by an earthquake, so maybe they don't have this tech, and to introduce it would cause a continuity problem.

28. Interactive holographic storybook

- Paper books are very rare in both Legends and Canon, but they do exist as a book speaks about Aunt Beru reading from a storybook to a young Luke Skywalker. They were not mentioned to be interactive or holographic possibly opening up them as a possibility (and the reason Beru didn't have one is because she is a poor moisture farmer on a frontier world), but holograms like droids are ubiquitous in Star Wars so I can't tell. Also, this may not be a very good thing to read to kids at night because they might get too hyped and wrapped up in it, and the goal of reading a child to put them to sleep is to PUT them to sleep.

So based, on all these techs and the commentary taken into account; which ONE tech could/should I keep on my list. Please only pick one and give it a moment of thought based on all the criteria I wish to meet and the commentary notes.

*Some of the ideas are from MCE123.com. Note. None of these techs I plan to use in an official story. The one tech exists solely for my own entertainment.

12. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Does anybody know of the Legends story that featured data stored in DNA? It was a comic, that much I remember.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It also comes up in I, Jedi - Corran's grandfather uses the junk DNA in plants as the basis of a data storage medium.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  14. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Oh cool. Excellent!!!

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Could the role of a psychiatrist or psychologist be performed by a droid? Or would the SW society not like that? Also in canon at least, do mental illnesses still exist?

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It's difficult to explain Padmé's attraction to Anakin otherwise.

17. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    [face_rofl]

Well he is good looking. I wouldn't mind looking like him

18. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    One thing that's always stuck with me tech-wise is Threepio's comment from AOTC, "Machines making machines? How perverse!" Is workplace automation, even something like an assembly line, not a thing in the GFFA? I can see how it might not be a factor in Lucas's worldview of the GFFA, given the apparent reliance on sentient labor (both Wookiee slaves and unionized Geonosians) in building the Death Star.

This is a post from a long time ago, but in Heir to the Empire there is a holographic waitress that gets created out of the center of a table to take orders at a fancy restaurant.

And again interestingly, in the HTTE 20th Anniversary, one of Zahn's comments is that he had to use the term "button-presser" to replace "paper-pusher" because "paper is not used in Star Wars." Though I don't think he specifies whether he was told that from Lucasfilm or it was just his own interpretation of the movies.

"Galactic Standard Time" is mentioned in TFA via background ADR dialogue.

I've seen zero-gravity orbital vineyards come up in fanfiction before. Though I'm not sure how well grapes grow in zero gravity. The idea of having giant farms solely devoted to feeding Coruscant would also be a natural callback to its predecessor Trantor from Foundation.

19. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    This, maybe? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bubble_city#

20. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Wow. Never would've found it. Thanks!!!!

Nom von Anor likes this.
  21. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Is their any evidence to suggest that humans along with many, many other species get their newborn children’s genome sequenced on a tiny chip to use for reference as they got older? Doctors would know exactly what medical problems their patients would one day get? This stuff- it seems like it would be so obvious to exist at least in nu-canon but even in Disney canon, people can still get sick and things like Bloodborne or Shilmers Syndrome are incurable and happened without provocation. Vidian collapsed in a factory as an adult so he was probably never medically prognisticated. The girl with Bloodborn got it from space racing which implys perhaps radiation exposure from space travel was to blame (which in real life is an obstacle to space travel- the radiation). So what do you think is it. Do they know in advance if their children will get sick or do they just wait for it to happen and then dunk them in a bacta tank with a few leeches? :p

22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    From the latest episode of Star Wars resistance, we see that star wars video game technology is not that advanced.in terms of graphics, though has other interesting features.

Or Torra is a retrogamer and likes the vector graphics

23. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Weird that they have not very advanced video games while in Bloodline Ransolm fights holographic opponents. But it’s probably just a tech disparity based on region/wealth, just like in real life

MercenaryAce likes this.
  24. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    The graphics were primitive, but YOU are the controller. Thats pretty neat

JediBatman and MercenaryAce like this.
  25. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    There's just all kinds of levels of tech at once, since the different IU eras were first depicted in drastically out of order OOU times. No matter what happens, the tactical displays in the OT have to be reckoned with.

Mia Mesharad and MercenaryAce like this.