main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Time Period/Era For New Film Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Feb 21, 2018.

?

When do you think the new films will be set

1. Before ANH and after ROTS - Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Before TPM- Weiss/Benioff

100 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. After ROTJ and before TFA- Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. After IX- Weiss/Benioff

12 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Before ANH and after ROTS- RJ trilogy

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Before TPM- RJ Trilogy

29 vote(s)
    18.8%
  7. After ROTJ and before TFA- RJ trilogy

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. After IX- RJ trilogy

68 vote(s)
    44.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I have posted those kinds of ideas in many threads and called the era knights of the new republic.

I am glad someone also likes that idea on the boards too.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    dolphin and Awushi Awere like this.
  2. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I would give it a chance because it could still be pretty awesome.

Awushi Awere likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    How about the Grysk and/ or Vong?

DARTH_BELO and Darth_Bertie like this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah... or another option: working the Grysk or the Vong in there somehow.

DARTH_BELO and Bor Mullet like this.
  5. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I feel like a timeline set in the future would feature remnants of the Empire and Republic. I'd like something entirely fresh and new (which is why I'm especially looking forward to the RJ trilogy). A pre-TPM era sandbox is likely to be very different from what we've seen so far (even though technically the Republic and Jedi would exist).

6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    An Old Republic, or 'Prime Jedi' era is the only era I'd be really excited about seeing in a new film... and probably is the only era that doesn't come with baggage from the existing films i.e. it's more of a clean slate.

ladygrey45 and obi_kenobi_24 like this.
  7. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    100% yes. This is the best era to tackle. Not even hardcore fans can dig up stuff to complain about. OK, they can but you get the idea. Forget anything we already know. Start fresh. Or, I suppose you could also go way into the future but then you'd be stuck probably telling the same old stories over and over just with new characters.

Darth PJ likes this.
  8. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I wonder if an Old Republic trilogy can be Episodes 10, 11, and 12. That would break the convention of films set earlier in the timeline needing to have lower numbers (i.e. Episodes I-III followed IV-VI).

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If it’s not old republic at this point I’ll be kinda bummed

obi_kenobi_24 and Darth PJ like this.
  10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't know to be honest? If I were Kennedy et al... I'd just re-set the numbers but with a different 'book' so to speak. For example, if they went back to Knights of the Old Republic (for arguments sake), it could simply be KOTOR: Episode I etc. etc.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    But... has there ever been any kind of actual mention of KOTOR by LFL or Disney, I mean in terms of an actual production? I wonder how reasonable of a possibility this is. Is this something like Plaguies, where the hardcore fans like the idea a lot, but it has no traction with LFL? They seem to be focusing on the High Republic as the new era. There seems to me to be little possibility in the immediate future for this, Rogue Squadron going in the opposite direction time-wise.

I like the idea, and love the type of concepts in the trailers, just have my doubts. At least anytime soon

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    EHT likes this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think the odds of new movies set in the The Old Republic / KOTOR timeframe are not good. Many fans have decided that that is what they want to see the most, but that means a lot of potentially unfulfilled expectations and anger that they did ______ wrong. I think Disney and LFL would prefer to stay away from that (especially after mixed reactions to the ST, which had expectations automatically built in) and set their own previously unseen thing that doesn't have that baggage... and honestly, they'd probably be smart to go that way.

13. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Another possible story would be related to those wayfinders. A sith war maybe.

'Only two were made'. That's the dyad, a 'prophesized' dyad according to the TROS VD.

'Someone will come, we will be avenged. The guy in Exegol will return but will be destroyed'.

There was a Ruin[Ren?] , 'ancestor' of Palpatine and founder of the sith, in the mizzlewump leak.

It was Rey's birthright to rule there in Exegol, so Palpatine says, but in that case it was also his right by birth. The Plagueis novel has some hints in that direction. (That throne seems to have been there for 4000-5000 years)

As Lucas explained once, Anakin was still the chosen one as Vader, and both him and his grandson want to rule together with someone else. Dyarchy=dyad. The original Rule Of Two. A co-rule.
    (Both Maul and Obi-Wan talk about the chosen one after their final duel)

14. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I don't think we are getting a remake of KoToR game in movie format, but even with fan expectations to take into account, it makes no sense marketing/financial sense to never give us Old Republic films because......

The Jedi Order and Sith are very popular parts of Star Wars, especially the lightsaber duels. Never going Old Republic means we are basically limited to new duels in more Vader (or Inquisitors) killing of Jedi survivors in the dark times, or jumping post ST and bringing back the Sith yet again (or another evil saber using threat).

Also its called Star......WARS. Yes there have been star wars films without large scale war, or like TPM about a local war. We will probably see this again. But the showing of galactic scale conflict is also an important part of the franchise. Unless Lucasfilm decides to push Post ST and give us a new galactic conflict for Rey's generation (or a future generation), the only other option is 1000+ years before TPM. Thousands of years of material to explore, with MANY galactic scale conflicts. Which can be done without copying the war that happened in KoToR.

Also lets not forget those gung ho Mandos. Mandalorians have been popular for a while, but the Old Republic eras are periods before they are finally pacified by the Old Republic/Jedi. A chance to see when the Mandalorians were far more of a threat then they are in present day star wars. A Mandalore who's surface has civilization on it (not domed cities).

Im also sure the origins of the Sith, and also that of the Jedi Order, could be topics that Disney would benefit from exploring.

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    I guess theres the chance that people get upset that they aren't following the game close enough.......
    I wouldnt care too much(And I love Kotor1/2 and Revan) though as long as they do something with that premise.....

The premise of a group of Jedi disobeying the council to go an protect the Republic in a war against the Mandalorians and them falling to darkness to win where most of them comes back as villain's in the second part of the saga to conquer the rest of the galaxy.

That just sounds so cool to me, You got an MCU Infinity sized era of content right there...spend half a decade or more on the Madalorian War and the other half on fighting the Sith who emerged from it.

Im just going to be in :_| if they waste a premise like that.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think a kotor thing is very possible, with kotor canon remake game, also KK has mention kotor being of interest. I can see a movie or tv show soon too follow.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I would agree that KOTOR is possible, I just don't think it is on the radar at this point. TV shows are at what, 11? If they had a real interest in KOTOR, that is a lot of shows they could have fit it into.

It's possible that Rian's movies and something like KOTOR are being delayed to the future for the same reason- they both have no real characters that casuals know and connect with. The state of affairs was very different when they told Rian he could do the trilogy of unconnected films; that was just before the release of TLJ, and way before the release of Solo and TROS (commercial disappointments).

Right now, Disney is looking for something specific which I don't think KOTOR fits into. Safer to do Mando spinoffs and x-wing fighter movies that (casual) fans can have some familiarity with. If they had wanted to do something more risky like KOTOR, it likely would have come in a TV show (the current shows all have the potential to host known characters if you look through them). Tend to doubt they are going to risk a movie right now on this. But again, that could change in the future.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Remember the shows we know of only is From what released from now to 2023. I bet more is coming in 23 or 24. Plus kotor game is coming.

19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I believe they said those shows will be over like 10 years, not just the next couple. They could announce it later, but it clearly wasn't one of the priorities given it wasn't one of the many future ones that they wanted to announce and get fans excited about.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    they may, but new shows will be coming, like i doubt there's only one animation show and only OT era shows outside of Acolyte. and i don't think they ever said 10 yearrs, shows like Mnadalorian and acolyte might last that long if the story calls for it, most is probarly over with in 5 years. I think more PT and ST era shows is coming,

21. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I believe this guy is just a bot account. Each 6 months he reappears and posts like 3 or 4 lines talking sbout how the Grysk and / or Vong are gonna be the key to all future SW.

And don't forget Episodes X, XI and XII being announced in 2030.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Also the Vong aint canon, and the grysk is just space orcs, I think if anthing Thrawn would be the main villain in the future.

23. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I mean knights of the old republic would be good don’t just let the Jedi go away or first Jedi and sith something with a lot of lore they can hire people who know a lot about the lore and hire film makers who know a lot about it as well.

24. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    And make something not as wanted? Why run that risk just make sure you make it really good whatever you release next.

25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm just curious-but is there a way this poll could be updated in some way, as Weiss/Benioff are no longer involved w/SW, and there's no projection for sure when/if RJ is doing his "trilogy" anymore?

Perhaps we can get the current assigned writers/directors attached on there instead?