main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Travel time between planets (specifically Coruscant and Mustafar)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by MasterSareBabe, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterSareBabe

MasterSareBabe Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Something that bothered me when I was watching the movie:
    Mustafar is supposedly in the Outer Rim. How in the world did Padme get there so fast? She left after Anakin slaughtered the Separatists. He is still standing around when she arrives. Taking a vacation?And how did Palpatine get there so fast? Lightspeed isn't that fast!

I must be missing something. [face_worried]

Wonderful movie! :)

2. GrandMoffMoff

GrandMoffMoff Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2002
    I just mentioned the same thing in a different post. Quite odd.

3. DARK_VADOR

DARK_VADOR Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2004
    It's like Mustafar is just around the corner..

4. MasterSareBabe

Dec 11, 2004
    Fine minds think alike. :p

I really hate that saying, but I just had to say it. ;)

5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Time is relative, you know. ;)

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    None of the Lightspeed travel has been consistant. Han says that they'll be at Alderaan in two hours, then less than five minutes later, they're there.

7. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    It bothered me until I just watched TESB and Luke gets to Dagobah before the Falcon has even reached the asteroid field in the Hoth System.

Unrealistic space travel times are a hallmark of Star Wars, just takes some getting used to.

8. LazyDivey

LazyDivey Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2003
    and yet Yoda got to Geonosis right after Mace, even though Yoda had to go all the way to Kamino and pick up 10,000 people. Who cares, it looked cool on film.

9. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Don't forget about the Death Star...how the hell did that monstrosity travel across the galaxy?

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Unrealistic space travel times are a hallmark of Star Wars, just takes some getting used to.

Not all of it is unrealistic. The movies don't always reveal how much time has passed between scenes. I mean, the movies don't take place in real time, if they did they would have a lot of scenes of the characters just sitting around in the spaceships while traveling.

11. MasterSareBabe

Dec 11, 2004
    Good points!
    I did notice in in ROTJ when Luke went to Dagobah but made it back to the Rebel fleet in time. I haven't seen the other movies in a while so that's why I didn't think of them.

12. ViridianForTheWin

ViridianForTheWin Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    yeah this pissed me off. when obiwan asked padme when he last saw anakin, she said last day. even in standard days, going from core worlds to the outer rim takes way longer.

and how the hell did the emperor get to anakin so fast? it took literaly minutes for him to reach mustafar.

13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    even in standard days, going from core worlds to the outer rim takes way longer.

Where in the movies does it say that? :confused:

14. DarKnight

DarKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2000
    That is one of the main issues I have with Revenge. It ruins the continuity, but then again how does the Milennium Falcon get to Cloud City without the ability to jump into hyperspace.

Lucas isnt exactly known for having a good grasp of spacial knowledge.

All in all though I did enjoy this movie. Dare I say it? Yes, it was better than Return of the Jedi. So it now occupies the coveted third spot behind Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

15. MasterSareBabe

Dec 11, 2004
    I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one. [face_whistling]

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Lucas isnt exactly known for having a good grasp of spacial knowledge.

It is his universe and his story...

17. ViridianForTheWin

May 19, 2005
    well u begin to get the feeling from reading the EU books.

18. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    well, for thew dagobah/hoth thing, its just that they show Luke there first so they can switch from Han and Leia and not have ot watch Luke in space for a half hour.

I dont knwo exactly about mustafar. the whole movie is kind of surreal to me. after all this waiting. I am still in shock. (good way, not bad way) I guess its a really fast ship? Or maybe it took a while for him to mess with the buttons on mustafar, or do something. bathroom break?

geonosis- Yoda probably called Kamino, told them to get the clones all ready to go, then all he had to do was pick them up. kamino is close to geonosis, I think.

alderaan- of course, they arent gonna show them in hyperspace for the whole movie. so the yjust showed the extent of basically what they did to kill time.

19. ViridianForTheWin

May 19, 2005
    hoth and dagobah is extremely close to each other, so is bespin. that made sense in the trilogies. like the rebel alliance abandoned dantooine and went to yavin. which was a relatively close system. but their just moving like jackrabbits in this film.

20. MasterSareBabe

Dec 11, 2004
    HAHAHAHA-- "bathroom break"!

21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    well u begin to get the feeling from reading the EU books.

The EU is not canon. Therefore GL can contradict it and he is right.

22. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I like to pretend that they travel at extra-super-duper light speed. I mean, travelling from the center of a standard spiral galaxy to the arms takes hundreds of years even at light speed. The closest star to the sun is 4 light years away or something like that. Star Wars would be pretty boring if he used actual times. "You will go to the Dagobah system, where you will die an old man by the time you arrive."

Carnage

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I mean, travelling from the center of a standard spiral galaxy to the arms takes hundreds of years even at light speed.

OK, get a hold of yourself. This is why it is important to be able to distinguish between space travel in real life vs. space travel in the movies.

24. ViridianForTheWin

May 19, 2005
    i havnt seen the upgraded map of the galaxy with all the planets in episode 3, but i can say that for instance in NJO when the crew were searching for zenoma sekot it seemed like it took some time to actualy travel through the systems and find the planet. every prior traveling done in the movies was justifiable to some sense. not the super dooper warp hole stuff u see in episode 3.

25. EndorRebelScum

EndorRebelScum Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    The MF flew to Bespin. If you look at a map, the only thing between hoth and bespin is pretty much he asteroid field. they're neighbors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.