main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Underappreciated Films

Discussion in 'Community' started by xezene, May 9, 2016.

1. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    What are some films that you appreciate that you think are (or were) under-appreciated in their day? Perhaps a film that you think has more depth or is done much better than it is generally given credit for? Basically, it's a film you stand up for in the face of 'general' consensus. And why do you like it?

I have a couple of such films. I'll list a handful, explain a little bit, and I encourage others to do the same.

So stick up for your underdog films here! This is a thread for getting the word out about films that you like and think should be valued more, but have been instead unfairly treated (this thread is not for bashing such films or debating negatives).

Here are my selections:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture -- Director's Cut, directed by Robert Wise (1979)
    This film, overshadowed by it's immediate sequel, is often derided as being too boring (perhaps this criticism is aimed at the original cut, because I think the Director's Cut moves along just fine given it's concept), but I think it's beautiful and profound. This is Star Trek meets 2001. Jerry Goldsmith's score is otherworldly. The film's intricate weaving of big picture theme along with small picture character development is wonderful. It's a real pure science fiction film for adults, and even though I enjoyed it since I was a child, I loved it's awestruck maturity. The most cinematic the series ever got, or likely ever will be.​

Hulk, directed by Ang Lee (2003)
    This is what happens when superhero films go art-house. And I loved the results. A brooding melodrama centered around powerful psychological themes with a heavy character focus, this film predates such later successful attempts headed by Nolan. Like those films, this film truly captures the scope of the title character. Director and auteur Ang Lee said he was going for a Greek tragedy element, which I think is deeply present here. The Danny Elfman score to this is also great and some visuals are very striking. I think a film like this couldn't get made today, and it's remarkable it got made even then; it's just too strange and too focused on story & mood over action. But for that reason, everyone else can have their modern Marvel movies... at least I have this film!​

Alien³ -- Assembly Cut, directed by David Fincher (1992)
    It was almost destroyed by studio wrangling, and it's originally released product was a bit too flawed to really stand strong on it's own. Thankfully, the film was restored to Fincher's workprint cut, adding enough footage to deserve a total re-evaluation. Fincher's visual talent is very evident here (and was even then), as well his thematic trademarks. It's an interesting movie, one that truly commits to being dark and bleak and unrelenting (almost Lovecraftian), and for that it deserves a lot of my respect. It's not for everyone, but I like the power of it's strange dark vision, and Elliot Goldenthal's score is the most emotional of the trilogy. When the series could have gotten over-commercialized and become standard action fare, Fincher spat in the face of diminishing returns and instead concluded the series with an un-commercial, dark, dramatic atmosphere. I think this was a very well-suited choice for the end to this universe's trilogy. For me, the Alien series ends here.​

Regarding Henry, directed by Mike Nichols (1991)
    I've got a soft spot for this film. Despite my ambivalence towards J.J. Abrams as a writer and director, he did write this film, and I think it all comes together nicely. It's a little sappy but it's heart goes a long way and Harrison Ford turns in a great performance. I just like the notion of a man facing his old life, not liking what he sees, and trying to turn it all around. It's not a masterpiece, but it's not a bad film as it is sometimes dismissed as. This one's a good little movie.​

The Day After Tomorrow, directed by Roland Emmerich (2004)
    I just love this disaster movie. It's pretty well-shot and, relative to it's genre, I think it's near the top. Could this actually happen in real life? Probably not, but aside from it's scientific inaccuracy, it gets everything else right. Strong focus on character and character arcs, with some nice acting going on. The drama and the stakes get to breathe a little -- the editing is not all over the place. We see how people's lives are affected by the disasters. We also see how it is linked to human causes and negligence (much like in reality). I must say the portrayal of the relationship between climate scientists and government officials is the most accurate I've seen in films in a long time, which is both great (for the film) and scary (for us). Overall, I just like it, and it doesn't deserve a lot of the crap it gets. A nice bonus is the fine score by Harald Kloser.​

I could also list the Star Wars prequels, but that probably goes without saying on this forum. :p

Anyway, that's 5 films I enjoy that have taken a few too many beatings for the wrong reasons in the public sphere, in my opinion. What are yours? And why? I am interested in reading the selections and discussions here!

RobbyV, Gamiel, Ezon Pin and 9 others like this.
  2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire(2001): A more-or-less forgotten Disney movie. While Treasure Planet and Brother Bear still have a small cult following, and Lilo & Stitch hit it big, Atlantis just sunk to the bottom of the sea.

Despite all this, it has a surprisingly dark and mature plot for a disney movie, a great soundtrack, and incredible visuals and animation. The blend between classical 2D animation and 3D CG models is done really well in this film, and is much less noticeable than other films.

It's one of my favourite films.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    . I weirdly agree with most of that.

I think there's some beautiful imagery and ideas in ST:TMP.
    I found its sequels to be big budget TV episodes. This is the only one that is properly cinematic .

Ang Lee's Hulk and Alien 3, well, of course.

Day After Tomorrow? Hmmm.... Emmerich destroying New York is always fun. And always a bit stupid. I will always watch it, but is it good? Is the acting and story more empathic than a disaster movie requires? I have no idea. I'll watch it with that in mind next time.

I haven't seen Regarding Henry. I'll give it a shot.

xezene likes this.
  4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

[​IMG]

ZOMG AWESOME

5. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    The Godfather Part III: yes, it was the weakest of the trilogy, Sophia's acting was terrible, and the subplot between the two cousins was just plain bizarre. But, those points are the elephant in the room. The final chapter in the trilogy is about closure and, apart from what i've identified, is a perfectly fitting close for the Corleone story. It's both a coming of age story along with portraying the shift one one generation to the next. The final half hour is sublime which includes moments that are among the best that the trilogy has to offer.

6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I liked Ang Lee's Hulk.

I would add that V for Vendetta is under-appreciated. It was ahead of its time, well-written, and while different than the excellent source material, very accessible for a modern audience.

Valerie's story makes me cry. I have a lot of sympathy for V, though I think he made it too personal at times, and I like Evey.

TX-20 and xezene like this.
  7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013

8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

....yeeees.....and that.

Darth Punk likes this.
  9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". It did good box office, but was considered a lesser Bond movie, mainly because of the lack of Sean Connery. As a result, it was rarely shown on TV or in theater revivals. However, with the arrival of home video, viewers have been able to reappraise the movie. It's now considered, as I understand it, one of the top five Bond films. Also, George Lazenby's more vulnerable and human Bond has been looked upon more favorably. The movie is a textbook example of critical and, to an extent, popular reassessment.

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Matrix Reloaded .

both sequels kinda get lumped together for a good kicking , but I absolutely love Reloaded . even more than the original .

the action scenes are just immense , the fight with 100 Smiths is such an amazing piece of choreography I don't know how they ever got it finished , and yes it is spoiled a bit by a couple of shots looking a bit to CG but the scale and relentless energy is amazing . Same with the freeway chase , this isn't just mindless destruction , it's a symphony .
    The music is the best in this one , really exciting stuff

and the ending ! to hell with Damon Lindelof , he's talking rubbish , this is one of the best endings ever - " we gave you have free will , that's how we control you " brilliant !

sadly Revolutions let me down , after the fantastic trippy mindbending story of the first 2 we get a cliched ugly big robot fight between characters I didn't care about .

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Crimson Tide. Far superior to the more celebrated The Hunt for Red October.

12. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Great Waldo Pepper. Robert Redford leads a talented cast in a nostalgic look at early aviation, and the flying scenes are fantastic, no CGI fakery or models on wires.

COMPNOR likes this.
  14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Hellscape.

Boba Nekhbet and harpua like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Highlander II, and only because Highlander: Engame is soul suckingly terrible with awful retcons thrown about and a truly horrible villain, whereas II is so bad it's good with a hilariously over-the-top Ironside and Connery having fun.

16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Ironside pioneered the style of acting with your forehead .

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Darjeeling Limited is often accused of being one of Wes Anderson's lesser films, but I think it's one of his best.

TiniTinyTony and duende like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought that was Life Aquatic?

19. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I have to agree with The Matrix Reloaded, actually. The plot was definitely weaker than the first one, and the tone is a lot different, but it was still really entertaining. It only starts to go downhill at the very end IMO. Revolutions on the other hand was utter rubbish.

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Life Aquatic is my favorite of Anderson's films, but I don't think it's dismissed as much as Darjeeling. It's not praised as much as it should be (as much as Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums), but it's not accused of being an outright miss the way Darjeeling is.

21. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Amazon Women on the moon- David Alan Grier as Don "No Soul" Simmons- 'nuff said!

22. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Batman Begins: I consider this to be The Terminator of the franchise in that it's a very strong film but overlooked because it was eclipsed by its sequel.

The Terminator: same as above.

23. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    YES! YES! YES!

Everything about this! :D <3

xezene likes this.
  24. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I also liked Ang Lee's Hulk. Continuing the trend of liking hated superhero movies, I'm also guilty of liking Superman Returns. Not only that; I prefer it to Man of Steel. What I am the most surprised about in the backlash to this movie is the moral indignation at Superman as a "deadbeat" dad. The movie makes it pretty clear that he didn't know about the pregnancy.

xezene likes this.
  25. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006

DebonaireNerd likes this.