main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous" & "Lord of War" by Abel & Joe (SWI #86)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    It hasn't actually canonised Old Wounds....it's just a sneaky reference to it. [face_shhh]

2. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I take it this is the Dark Jedi Grievous killed on Dica?

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/comics/img/20051222_7_bg.jpg]

http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/comics/news20051222.html

3. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>Grand Moff Grand Moff For-Atesee<<<

No, no, no. He's supposed to be a Grand Moff Grand Moff. He gets double helpings of sweets at all the Mofferences, and has a double-hulled Annihilator-class Moffship.

;) :p

4. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    I know.[face_blush]

[face_whistling]

This little section was somewhat of an indulgence and a lot of fun to do. Very, very tongue-in-cheek.

This turned out to be a bit of a challenge to reference, especially since I couldn't get full details on the comic in time. But there was just enough to make it work nicely with ideas I'd developed for Necrosis' Sith-originating double-bladed lightsaber.

I try not to overdue the self-referencing, since meta-readers often get annoyed. (I can get annoyed, anyway). But the continuity spectrum of my little corner of Star Wars has gotten bigger with every project, and I have a good amount of stuff to play with now without resorting to redundant referencing.

As far as I know, this name already existed. I'd actually named the Droids wheelbike something completely different initially.

Thanks. There was actually one bit in there that I really liked that got cut, explaining the origin of Lorn's insanity.

5. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I don't know how none of us caught that.

...and that's a MoffMoffship.

6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    :p

[image=http://www.toysrgus.com/images-conce/concept-annihilator.jpg]

7. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Many thanks, Bootleg! Glad you approve.

Be sure to let me know what you think when you get to it!

Another last minute addition. For whatever reason, Necrosis' entry ended up lending itself pretty well to that sort of thing. Besides Nercosis himself, there's Thrawn, Dica, Merili, and Bane and Zannah. Did I miss any?

The subplot, if it can be called that, of Kaleesh culture was one of my favorite developments from both parts of the Story of Grievous project. REALLY enjoyed that. :)

Another development of the project that gave me a lot of pleasure was the emergence of this mysterious character. I've always been interested in creating a slightly intangible character of this kind that actually works. Joe did a wonderful job of illustrating her.

Yes, it's entirely new. I figured Obi-Wan shouldn't get to Tatooine with Luke too easily.

I think there's a nice story there for someone to tell.

As hard as I try... :oops:

Those ones that crop up in the last sentence are so... wonderful for building character. :_|

8. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    What about that Atha Prime double-decker?

Take care,
    Abel

9. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    So the storehouse is in fact on Utapau?

10. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    It was indeed intended to be Utapau. There's a couple things in favor of that, mainly that Grievous body and the ship were both initially described as being there in the article in the Necrosis section, and the storehouse is mentioned as being Utapau twice there.

So Utapau's got dibs in terms of earliest reference and frequency. And, for what it's worth, my intention.

Best,
    Abel

11. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I just wanted to be doubly-sure before I go referencing it into my What's the Story submission for the Utapau Shadow Trooper. It's things like this that are the precise reason I wait until the last minute to submit my WTSes. ;)

BTW, I didn't have time to do more than skim it right now (those 9 AM classes come mighty early [face_worried]), but good show on the article, Abel. [face_peace]

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Okay, wait....wait. Hold on......okay. Wait. Okay...

::explodes::

13. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    :cool: Well done CooperTFN.

14. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    I smiled when I read that bit too. Like how the Prequels cleverly utilized scenes and dialogue to rhythmically connect to the OT, this particular scene is similar to Obi-Wan and Luke selling the landspeeder to secure passage to Alderaan in ANH. Only this time around, it's young Luke's transport being peddled for credits and Obi-Wan is trying to get *off* of Tatooine :)

15. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    *on* to, you mean....

...ANH was when they were trying to leave. :p

16. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    Well, I suppose my last sentence was meant to say "That time around" instead of "this time around".

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  18. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    I'm still partial to:

The Second Battle of Onderon.

**** happened and dudes died.

19. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I'm glad you liked those parts, since I did quite a bit of research for those sections. I would've liked to have thrown in the Invisible Hand, but there just wasn't time. The shoni spear was probably my favorite of the weapons, just for its sheer off the wall factor.

Actually it's a reference to Ep. III Obi-Wan's other OLD cyborg enemy.

;)

The character is new. I'm actually planting a seed for a possible future project.

I tried to play up a bit of a Frankenstein angle with Necrosis. In my original submission to LFL, the prophetess Merili had actually performed a sort of exorcism on Treun Lorn that almost killed him, which was the source of his madness and obsession with death.

...which is actually what happens in Galaxies. Of course, the players probably don't consider themselves as anything less than the coolest heroes in the galaxy. :)

Happy to hear it, Arthur. The article is clearly sympathetic to Necrosis in that confrontation, but gamers can be a bloodthirsty bunch. I know I was.

Thank you very much, jedimasterED! In fact, thank you all who have had said such nice things. As Joe mentioned, if you guys can direct just a little of your enjoyment of the Story of Grievous to the Insider letter's page and the StarWars.com message board so LFL can get a glimpse, Joe and I would be very, very appreciative.

It's especially important now that Joe and I have a new editor at Insider, and also if you'd like to continue see Hyperspace content like Lord of War that wouldn't otherwise see the light of day. Word of your enjoyment is basically how we keep working.

Many, many thanks folks,
    Abel

20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Well let's just hope the Kahleesh are still around. They never did explain what piece of art that caused Thrawn to exterminate an entire species. If he ever was sent to conquer them then I suspect they might be the people that studying General Grevious would make an extreme mistake in dealing with them and require annihilation of them. Of course, if anyone could survive Thrawn's wrath....

As for General Grevious I tend to think that at the beginning of the war he was in charge solely of the Droid Armies of the campaigns and technically there was no higher position but Count Dooku always treated Tann as more in his confidences in order to make decisions like "Go take over Bantooine" because she was cultured, a Dark Jedi Knight, and human seeming. Severance Tann's forces were probably themselves far smaller than than General Grevious' but the prejudices of the Count would have counted for something.

After Tann's death (is it possible Grevious could have set her up?), Grevious just absorbed the biological portion of the Seperatist forces (Tanns) and conducted the war without a rival. In other words, their relationship was more like Vader and Admiral Ozzel/Prince Xizor/Tagge than it was commander and subordinate.

21. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Perhaps Grievous redirected CIS forces sent to reinforce Tann on Krant, allowing Echuu Shen-Jon's army to crush her?

22. Jon_Bidinger

Jon_Bidinger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2003
    The Emperor had storehouses on Utapau? I knew he had them on Wayland. Did he have any elsewhere?

23. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    The Emperor had storehouses on Utapau? I knew he had them on Wayland. Did he have any elsewhere?

Geonosis. ;) :p

It's where he kept Anakin's arm in a jar.

24. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
  25. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Problem commander?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.