main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"UNLIMITED POWER!" and so did Palpatine really have it?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by WormieSaber, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Specuation, Rossa! In fact, your very statement that we don't know how powerful Plageus was merely adds to the argument that Palpatine CHOSE to kill him in his sleep, not that he had to. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that indicates Palpatine was afraid to it a different way. There is no evidence whatsoever that Palpatine feared his master.

There is a clear difference between choosing to kill Plageus in his sleep and being forced to kill Plageus in his sleep. You assume he was afraid to do otherwise, yet there is simply no evidence that points to that. You can't say that the only thing we know is that he had to kill him in his sleep, or at least feared to do otherwise, because we DON'T know that he had to. You are coming to a conclusion without any substantiating evidence to back it up. ALL we can tell based on Palpatine's speech to Anakin was that Plageus was killed in his sleep, not the reasons why that method was chosen above others. Any reason inferred is pure speculation, just as you accuse Sinister of doing.

2. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    But the problem is that Sinister is also saying that Plageus DID know how to cheat death - but there is no evidence to support that other than what Palpatine is saying. Palpatine also wanted to run away from his duel with Yoda - he is not the toughest guy in the class, and only resorts to battle if he must. Now, we know that he is powerful. He drawed to Yoda and barely lost to Mace (let's not discuss whether he did or not - Lucas said he lost) He is powerful, but he has nowhere near unlimited power. In my opinion, that statement was neither here nor there - it was another statement to lure Anakin in. Sideous could not have done what he did had Anakin not interfered, thus he does not have unlimited power.

Where do we see Sideous having unlimited power?

3. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    I agree.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Even Palpatine didn't say that Plagueis could cheat death.

5. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

I have skipped all of page two and three, so this may be R.

If I called you Sucker, it does not mean you are an octopus appendage.

Palps had a huge dark side erection on - And was trash talking.

If he had been a kid - He would have shouted "I am in ur base killin ur doods."

UKS

6. JediCleric

JediCleric Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2004
    Everyone seems to be forgetting the aspect that the death of Mace Windu and the fall of Anakin Skywalker signified the death of the Jedi Order. Since that moment, the Jedi Order is no longer a significant threat to any of Palpatine's plans. His quest to become Emperor is complete. And by seizing complete power as an Emperor, Palpatine truly does have unlimited and unfettered power.

There is a reason why Imperial officials don't go walking around talking about Darth Sidious as their leader. They don't know. The Emperor is Palpatine, he has all the political power known to the galaxy and he is to be feared.

So when Palpatine screams "...unlimited power!" as he kills Mace, he does so with the victor's sense of accomplishment and pride. Everything that he had long ago set forth has suddenly come to its full fruition upon that one single moment.

He wasn't wrong for saying it...he had it, after all.

7. Auric

Auric Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2006
    This was one of the weakest moments of RotS. That line just sounded ridiculous, like something out of Power Rangers. As to the actual extent of Palpatine's power, it certainly didn't seem unlimited when Yoda was throwing him across his office.

8. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    I seriously about peed my pants laughing when I read this...

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Palpatine ran from Yoda because he was not interested in a fight. But Yoda blocked the way, so he decided to fight and he won. And as mentioned, Palpatine killing Plagueis in his sleep is because he chooses to do so. He's a slimy villian. He will take unfair advantages if it suits him. He has no honor unlike Dooku who would fight with honor, instead of using an underhanded trick. Palpatine made a statement to Anakin. The dark side is stronger as it defeated Mace Windu. Palpatine was never in danger, because he knew what the boy would do in his heart when properly motivated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.