main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Unofficial Memphis EU Board.

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Chewbracca, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    dang error messages [face_blush]

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Do you have yours preordered or should we make a celebratory trip to B&N, complete with champangne and streamers? :D I can't wait for this book either...

[Anakin fangirl]Jedi Trial comes out 11 months from tomorrow!!! [/Anakin fangirl]

3. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Nope, I didn't pre-order. I love the whole take-your-chance-at-the-bookstore experience, complete with teenage clerks wondering why the heck a 30-something yr-old woman is buying a SW book. ;) [face_mischief] (Must be for her husband...or son. [face_laugh])

I just hope I'm not scheduled to work that day....it'll be an awfully late trek out to Wolfchase if I am since MY Waldenbooks(practically next door to my work) is closing. [face_plain]

4. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Signed copies of Survivor's Quest will be available via e-signings through Feb. 11th.

Or we can try to bribe one of our 501st friends who will be at a signing next month..... :( :_|

5. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    It'll be okay- Trace. Really.

Hey, what are you going to do with that..? Hey, put that book down- Noooooooo!!!

6. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    When is the next CW book coming out from Del-Ray? "Escape from Dagu" says here on Shatterpoint's timeline that it is schedule for release in March 04. I cant wait :D I'm almost finished with Shatterpoint and since there are no more NJO books..the CW series have become my new SW line to read now!!!!!!!!

John

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    John: Survivor's Quest by Timothy Zahn is being released today if you're in need of an EU fix.

No idea about Escape from Dagu.

8. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    I love the CW books and prequel books in general. I hope we get a lot more of them.

9. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    [Zahn junkie / L&M fangirl]

It's mine!!! MWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! Mine! Mine! MINE!

After driving an hour to Wolfchase and back (I'll spare y'all further lament of the loss of my beloved Waldenbooks), I am now the proud owner of a shiny new copy of Survivor's Quest!

This will be a day long remembered - it was certainly loooooooooong-awaited.....by me, at least. [face_blush]

*jumps up and down*

:D [face_love] :D [face_love] :D

[/Zahn junkie / L&M fangirl]

10. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Congrats! I know you've waited long enough- but probably not long enough for the folks at the bookstore!

Enjoy it!

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    We need a good friend who works at a bookstore so Traci can get copies before the official release date. Well, at least a stooge we can bribe with liquor or cash.

12. DarthToddy

Jan 22, 2004
    Poor Traci, patience is a virtue practiced by many master Jedi...why I say this....you could have drove 20 minutes and gotten it for $10 cheaper @ Wal-Mart in Millington....lol....she already knows this but I was wanting to share with everyone how bad you wanted it @ 8 in the morning!!!

John

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Traci got used to having our local handy-dandy Waldenbooks in Raleigh Springs Mall, so she never had to wait, or face the possiblity of the book being sold out. Of course, it was the only bookstore in our immediate area, so, naturally, it went out of business.

I think there's a pre-teen maternity store there now.

14. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    2 am......halfway through Survivor's Quest......pages are blurry......can't focus......must sleep............

blows a rasberry at Wal-Mart 8-} But I'd have driven 7 hours to Lexington, KY this Friday to see Tim Zahn in person and get a signed copy of the book if Darth Real Life hadn't gotten in the way - guess I can't really complain about a drive to B&N

15. DarthToddy

Jan 22, 2004
    Just finished Shatterpoint this morning.........cool, I liked it it was interesting throughout the entire book. I was wondering if Kar Vastor was the guy from the NJO that Tahiri...Luke and Mara faced on Coruscant/Yunzahn Tar in the Rebel Stand book?!?!!?!? Anyone care to elaborate on that? In case you forgot...the guy with lightsabers that came out everywhere and was a mutation gone bad!!! Anyone have a theory on that please lemme know.

John

16. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I'll have to go back and read, but it seems like that dude was "born" there in captivity on Coruscant....but it's been a while since those books came out and I could be remembering wrong.

I loved Shatterpoint! Why can't we have that Mace in the movies?!?!

I got Depa as my Jedi Master the last time we played the SW Life game. We immediately crooned, "She's so craaaaaazy!!" [face_laugh]

17. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    "Lord Nyax" is what they called the guy in Rebel Dream. He had been genetically altered and raised on Coruscant.

18. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    "Traci got used to having our local handy-dandy Waldenbooks in Raleigh Springs Mall, so she never had to wait, or face the possiblity of the book being sold out."

Bookstores in Memphis actually sell-out..?! (gasps!)

19. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Ok, I finally started 'Shadows of the Empire' last night. Got thru the prologue and first chapter. I like how seens from Empire are in it- but from a different point of view.

Yea- I'm reading the EU again! Man, do I have some catching up to do...

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    They suck you in, Lin. You think, "I'll just read this book." Five years later, you find that you've read 80 or more books. It's like crack, man!

SOTE is a great book, and a great place to begin.

21. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    "It's like crack, man!"

So should I read them or smoke 'em?

I know what you mean. Back in high school when the Han Solo trilogy and SOTME first hit I had to read them all! I was also reading the Marvel Comics SW series pretty regularly.

Just got a run of the 'Empire' comics off ebay. They should be in next week. I got a decent deal.

I've got a few EU books at home. I know one is 'The Courtship Of Princess Leia'- your favorite! Can't remember what the others are. I'll look tonight and see what you all think of them.

22. DarthToddy

Jan 22, 2004
    I learned there is no "Escape from Dagu" coming out soon.....I have to wait until "Cestus Deception".....but in turn of no Dagu book....Del-Ray will be releasing a CW book as YODA as the main character....WOO HOOOO

23. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Finished Survivor's Quest last night! From the POV of a hard-core Luke & Mara junkie, this book was like......oxygen. [face_love]

I LOVED seeing my favorite SW couple at this point in their lives: finally together after working out all of their issues in the HOT duo and before that obnoxious disease in the NJO. Their Jedi relationship was brilliant - the way that they knew each other's strengths so intimately and never hesitated to step back and let the other shine. A tiny bit more romance would've been fun, but considering that Zahn himself admits that he's not very good at that sort of thing, I'm kinda glad he didn't try to write more than he did.

The book did raise a lot of questions and didn't feel completely resolved at the end, but I'm OK with that. I plan to read EU for many more years and I don't really want all of the answers right now. Overall, this fangirl is happy. :D

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    OK, so we can sum up Traci's review as-

Five out of five happy bears.

25. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    This is cool! The official site now has a Fiction area for Hyperspace members. The short story First Contact by Timothy Zahn, which was originally published in the collection of short stories, Tales from the Empire, is online now.

These short stories are fun and a quick read for anyone who wants a taste of EU without committing to a novel or series. There are several short story collections, including Tales from the New Republic and Tales from Jabba's Palace, that I think you can still pick up at B&N for less that the cost of a Hyperspace subscription.

Tales from the New Republic is my fave. The first story, Interlude at Darkknell, by Timothy Zahn and Mike Stackpole tells how the plans for the first Death Star got to the Alliance.
    (And then there's Jade Solitaire....which I will refrain from quoting in its entirety here. [face_blush])

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.