main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    You're right about that, but at the same time the droids are like two anti-heroes that we end up following throughout the entire saga and if I remember correctly I believe Lucas said he tried to use their comedic back-and-forth as a way to ease the audience into this crazy alien world that no one had ever seen before. This was part of his Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress influence coming through. The hero's adventure as seen and introduced to us through the eyes of these two comedic relief characters.

Not to mention that with modern movies we've also become used to a very different pacing and editing style today that can make Star Wars '77 feel much slower than it did originally. I admit that I find it slow in comparison as well.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    seeker_two and Count Yubnub like this.
  2. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Agree. In ROTS, they basically made Padme into a plot device for the birth of Anakin's offspring. Notice, it's never Anakin and Padme's children. Any mention of children always comes down to Anakin's offspring. Padme is basically an incubator at this point.

3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    -PT haters have terrible ideas for Prequel Rewrites. 90% of them lack nuance in dealing with characters and it becomes another exercise in PEW PEW over political ideas in how a democracy falls into dictatorship. There ideas for the Clone Wars lack any context other than evil guys create evil clones to fight the good guys. At least the clone army and droid army are wrapped in the conflict between Republic and Separatism, an actual politically relevant issue in the GFFA.

-Rey is the worst written character of the saga. No motive, no meaningful character development and just an empty shallow vessel for fan fiction.

-Hayden Chistensen in Episode 3 is the best performance of the saga. Multifaceted and well developed.

-Luke and Leia's relationship is overrated as siblings. They dont spend enough time together in the OT compared to Leia and Han. They dont have any dialogue together in ESB outside of Luke calling out to Leia and Leia responding with "Luke."

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Dryden Vos > Orson Krennic

5. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    As far as ROTS is concerned, that's false (unless I'm misunderstanding you). When Padme and Anakin believe there's only one child, it's "our child." There's only one mention of "children," plural, in ROTS, and there it's "the children," not "Anakin's."

You're thinking of the OT, where it's "The son of Skywalker" and "Anakin's offspring," and so on.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Deliveranze likes this.
  6. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I was using comments from the original trilogy to emphasize that Padme has basically been used as only a love interest for Anakin in ROTS. Her role in the prequels diminished to the point of solely carrying Anakin's baby.

7. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    ok,

some unpopular opinions time

- Porgs aren't cute, Fathiers are

- Mos Eisley's cantina and Dex's Diner could have a spin off series of their own. The Cantina a gritty series and the diner being a sort of 'Cheers' sitcom

- Snoke had a lot of potential

- Han Solo stepping on a supposed scary gangster's tail made Jabba not that intimidating (if he was ever meant to be)

- Dooku is a more interesting villain than Maul.

- I like the PT planets over the OT and ST ones

- Artoo should have been used more in the ST

- AOTC gets a bad wrap because the film that followed it didn't answer questions the movie set up. Which falls firmly at ROTS' feet not AOTC.

- Qui-Gon is less likable with each viewing

- Ian McDiarmid carries every SW movie he is in

Emperor Ferus and StarYogi like this.
  8. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    That last one isn't that unpopular, although it's definitely true.

As for Qui-Gon...can't you let Qui-Gons be Qui-Gons? :p

Riv_Shiel and Dandelo like this.
  9. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I agree. Going to add my own unpopular opinion to it...I think Rey and Kylo are tied for the worst written characters of the saga. I didn't see a definitive motive for Kylo's actions, no relationships/interactions within or about the Solo family life that justified Han and Leia being to blame for him, he never came across to me as conflicted because he firmly doubled down on the bad until the very last minute and because Driver's dead eye stare doesn't convey the appropriate nuanced emotions needed to evoke sympathy. To me he also was that empty shallow vessel for fans to inject their own story into to justify or make excuses for his behavior. 30 year old Crylo was just as whiny and tantrum throwing as other Skywalkers get criticized for while being younger in age than he is.

10. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Leia's role in the ST is so terrible. Her role as a general is just an story device, not actually meaningful to her character or her interactions. Even her role as Jedi instructor for Rey is clearly a last minute decision that also doesnt play a big role in the story. She is basically just Kylo Ren's mother who's story purpose is to die for her ****** son and tell Han to do the same.

@wobbits Yeah, I agree. Literally anyone in the ST can apply here, including Luke, Leia, and Han. Characterizations are so vapid, empty, and lack any human depth, it all feels like a rollercoaster with no destination. Its all for show. Who is Rey? Who is Ben? Not who they are in a family sense. Who are they as people? Who are they fundamentally? It either doesnt matter or it would be too realistic for those who just wanna watch a dumb 2 hour space opera packed with the nostalgia they have and it would ruin the fun.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    And, I might add, the very reason why Anakin turns to the dark side. Those are her parts in the story. How can her role be "diminished"? Diminished from what?

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  12. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    No, Padme is an excuse. The reason Anakin falls to the dark side is because he's a greedy, arrogant, petulant brat who cannot see past his own personal interests. Cannot accept no for an answer, and has a tantrum every time he doesn't get his way. Anakin fell to the dark side because he felt he knew better than those teaching him and refused to follow his teachings. And yes Padme's role was diminished in ROTS. She spends the vast majority of the movie crying over Anakin. A stark contrast from the strong leader she showed herself to be in TPM, and at times in AOTC. Had they left the cut scenes of her meeting with Bail and Mon Mothma, it would have given her something more than just weeping for Anakin. Would have added a bit more context and depth to her character. Without those scenes, she's just a plot device.

13. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Clear lack of a story that ties into what made us love the characters and the saga in the first place. I definitely don't feel like they did justice to Leia or Carrie for that matter.

14. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    The TROS opening crawl is amazing and hilarious

Chancellor Yoda and Sarge like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion. :p

Anakin is the father isn’t he? Is the only one I can think of. Although that makes sense as Obi Wan would obviously know Padme is the mother.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Deliveranze and Iron_lord like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Diminished from strong ruler of a planet and later, outspoken Senator from that planet, in a leadership role in the Senate.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I will agree with everyone saying Padme was a much stronger character in TPM and AOTC

19. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    There should have been at least some of Padme helping to lay the foundations of the Alliance.

My personal canon is that most or all of those scenes actually happened, we just didn't see them.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  20. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I think the ST is just okay.

I don't like some of the story choices they made or how inquisitional the whole trilogy feels at times, to the point where I haven't decided yet if consider the trilogy to be part of my personal head canon. Yet I do think there are great moments in the trilogy, which is why I don't like to outright dismiss these films either. When it comes to the discourse on this trilogy, especially on the internet, being in the middle is a rather unpopular and rare position nowadays.

CampOfSorgan, Sarge and cratylus like this.
  21. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    - The Mandalorian Season 2 and the Casian Andor show should both be cancelled, and replaced with shows that are in new time periods. Out with the old in with the new.

-TROS did FAR more damage to the Saga than any of the other movies prior. There might be worse movies, but they at least didn't affect canon or notions.

-The main reason TROS fails is because of the Leia scenes. They wrote to much of the story around those, and hurt the characters involved as a result.

- Lucasfilm should spend a lot less time on its TV Shows and more on its Films. There's way too much filler being made for Disney+ right now. Star Wars is special because its rare. Quit producing so much ****.

- Films should be limited to once every 2-3 years, with one TV show every year MAX.

- Luke ability to pick up the force fast is just as "bad" as Rey. I don't see a problem with either, but for the people that get mad about Rey being so powerful, are you just completely ignoring Luke lol?

- Rian Johnson's trilogy will be what takes Star Wars to the next level again.

- The High Republic should never get a movie. Waste of time and resources, keep it in the novels. There's much better and more important things for the big screen.

- KK is doing a great job besides hiring JJ Abrams twice. (Seems like Iger hired him the second time)

22. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    The main problem with Rey picking things up so fast was that we hadn't yet been given a reason for her to be a Luke or Anakin level prodigy. That's been cleaned up, if not in the only or best possible way, but her galactically rare level of native skill is something committed fans wanted explained. Was she conceived by the midichlorians? Related to Anakin in some way? Had something exciting and new happened with the Force? There were many possibilities but they at least addressed this. I realize there are some people who accept the sequels but reject the prequels in their head canon; for those people it might have been less of an issue. But I think that is a minority of serious fandom.

23. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    We have no reason to believe Luke is a prodigy either back in 1977. Yet there he is blowing up the Death Star and the best X Wing pilot, without ever flying one. ****(I have no problem with this, just is funny people think Rey is overpowered when Luke was also doing unnatural things). Rey didn’t do anything special in TFA anyways. She beat a badly injured Kylo Ren who beat her easily the next time they fought. She gets thrown around like a toy when she confronts Snoke.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  24. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    I'm addressing this in the context of all six of the prior films before The Force Awakens. We'd been clearly shown that Luke and Anakin were highly unusual in their power levels, and that they themselves needed some training to develop. I do not think relative to other sequel characters Rey is overpowered, in the completed trilogy, but in The Force awakens she taught herself both the Jedi Mind Trick and Force Pull, which she accomplished almost accidentally. With minimal instruction she lifted more boulders than Luke was ever shown to do at the end of The Last Jedi. By comparison Luke was already on his second film--years later, narratively, when he reached a similar level.

I say she is comparable to Luke because it looks like something has happened with the Force in general, after it was brought into balance. As I think I said, the only things odd about her "awakening" on her own and being a prodigy were that it took along time for exposition to suggest why this was happening. Now we have the Force dyad to explain how she seems to have ramped up when in proximity to Kylo, much more than she ramped up under pressure when cooperating with Finn, which is her "awakening." This goes further than Snoke's alchemical explanation to account for her meteoric rise in the space of a very short time. She also has a powerful heritage. We could have been told something else though, like for instance that the Force engendered her as a new chosen one or similar, not quite the same as Anakin but similar.

I am not among the people who were bothered about Rey having high capabilities, I just wondered why the Force was doing something apparently new and hungered for some exposition about it. I mean behind the scenes it is clear they just didn't want to bring Luke onstage quite yet because they feared he would dominate everything else. But I am more interested in in-universe explanations.

25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    On the directing front, George Lucas is my favourite in the series so far (Gareth Edwards comes second).

Lucas has what at first seems like a very simple style, but to me it's that same simplicity that helps create such striking artistic frames within that traditional steady camerawork. It means that any filmmaking deviations, such as the shaky-cam parts of the battle of Geonosis, stand out as unique.

He was always innovating, putting new and interesting visuals on screen across decades, never being satisfied in merely coasting off what he'd done before. And he was an absolute expert at directing action scenes, in all four SW movies he directed.