main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC Victorian Fires - "All Wings Report In"

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Adalia-Durron , Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Goodness, dear, be carefull and keep me posted!!!

2. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Most of the big fires are under control now....sort of, at least they aren't threatening any towns at the moment so we can relax a little bit.

I won't say we can breath easy cause the air is still think with smoke over here.

3. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Well, that is good news. Where I am from, we do not have that problem, but where my husband is from, Southern California, it is BIG! When he first moved to Tennessee, he would freak out whenever he saw anything burning. But that was over 10 years ago. I mean he was born and raised in L.A. That is a culture shock for him (and I moved here form the opposite coast, so it was a culture shock for me). I am quite ready for another culture shock (meaning a move to the land down under) but my hubby is not cooperating.

Hang tight down there, you guys.

4. tahiriveilax

tahiriveilax Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2008
    Yes, they are close, I heard they were quite near the area, but this is a suburban area. They would get the fires away before it gets to us, because their too many lives at stake.
    Thank God :) It'll be fine :)

5. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Don't be so sure that it is possble, tahiri. In California, they do the best they can, but residential areas are struck a lot and just one ember can cross a highway and start a whole new fire. It is very hard to predict and hard to fight. Luckily, though, They caught one of the people who set the fire. Just do not be so comfy yet. Stay safe. Don't freak out, but keep your eyes open. No matter who or what is in the line of the fire, the fire does not discriminate. I am such a downer, ain't I?

6. tahiriveilax

Oct 31, 2008
    Last I heard on the news, most of the fires are under control now, and everything is pretty good. I'm not sure though.

7. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Great news! *Kim sighs in relief*

8. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    That's good news. [:D]

9. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Spoke to a CFA volunteer yesterday, seems the fire front was a bit closer than we thought...like 2 ks away, not 10 ks as we thought.

Looks like we really dodged a bullet this time.

10. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    For Sure!!!! Thats a little close.

There was a scrub fire near us last Friday, only about half a click away. Due to what has gone on over there, the kids were utterly freaked. Bomber planes swooping our house and four choppers were up there, enough to scare a couple kids.

11. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Most times kids would run out and point and be all excited when a chopper flies over (I know I used to), but the last few weeks ever time we hear the chopper I see kids running for Mum & Dad. sad.

12. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Thats exactly it. My kids used to get excited about choppers, not so much now, generally means bad news. :(

13. leektar

leektar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2008
    Have any of the more recent bushfires been near anyone over there???

14. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    One of the founders of STAR WALKING INC. lives in the area of one of the fires, but last reports say he's in the clear.

15. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    So much devastation and loss.... shakes head

16. tahiriveilax

Oct 31, 2008
    Yeah they were pretty near me, but I'm okay :)

17. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    I am so sorry you guys. I wish I could be over there (as your adopted Aussie and all) but my prayers are definitely there. You all have done a great job sticking together and America should take a big lesson from you on how to rely on each other and not on JUST the government to get themselves out of situations. Like when you see a hurricane coming a week ahead of time...RUN!!!!! But a fire, whoa, there is no warning. I commend you. I am trying to convince my husband to make a move to your beautiful country. I feel led to get out of my own coutry which I love so much, but cannot swallow anymore. And reading about you all has really strengthened my resolved. So good on you, as you guys might say, I think. I am rusty on my Australian.

18. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Well if you want to make movies down here, I know plenty of people that can help. (waves hand)

I also come in handy as a translator, so "that's one against yu duck house" to start with. [face_laugh]

19. tahiriveilax

Oct 31, 2008
    We would love to have you Kim :D

Oh and yesterday, about 5 million people in the state got a text message from the police about fire warnings, and the whole state is under total fire ban. I'll have to keep my ears open to what the fires are doing. Apparently today was extreme weather conditions and there was a very high chance of more fires that were as bad as Black Saturday.

20. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    In the immortal words of Tenel Ka, "Ah. Ah ha." I want to do rotoscoping which involves placing the actors who are on the green or blue screen, in front of the digitally created background. See ROTS Obi/Ani fight scene documentary on the second disk for ROTS. They also do lightsabers. I do a little digital art too :)

And Tahiri, thanks. You guys must not be getting much rain right now. Typically alerts like that go out wen the land is so dry that any fire will have toe possiblity to spread because of the lack of moisture to contain it. Stay safe everyone.

21. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Rain????

What's rain?

Seriously, I think there are some kids alive in Victoria today that haven't seen really good rain.
    Light showers is all we seem to get these days, sure do miss rain.

22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    We had some heavy rain over the last couple days.....and we have loved it.....but sadly its not enough still.

23. tahiriveilax

Oct 31, 2008
    The fires are officially over now. There has been some rain over the past couple of days, and more to come which is great.

24. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Its horrible that its taken this long to control them....not good at all.

25. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    7th of January to the 5th of March, that's got to be a record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.