main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Viewing Order Post-TFA

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by PymParticles , Feb 29, 2016.

?

What's your new 7 film viewing order?

1. Release (4-5-6-1-2-3-7)

31 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Episodic (1-2-3-4-5-6-7)

85 vote(s)
    59.4%
  3. Flashback (4-5-1-2-3-6-7)

8 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Other (state below)

19 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Wouldn't the nesting doll order mean starting out with the first and last episodes, then working one's way toward the middle? Or vice versa?
    I did that once with the Lucas Hexalogy: TPM/ROTJ, AOTC/TESB, ROTS/ANH. It was pretty cool.

Applying that method to the I-IX Saga would create some interesting juxtapositions: TPM-TROS-AOTC-TLJ-ROTS-TFA-ANH-ROTJ-TESB. That might highlight certain parallels that weren't as obvious before.
    You'll also end up watching TESB last. It's like that episode becomes the centerpiece of the Saga; the final missing chapter that makes sense of the whole story. Which is kind of fitting, since the cave scene that occurs midway through the film goes straight to the core of the eternal struggle of the Jedi that the Saga revolves around.
    Despite it's open-endedness, there's also a sense of hope for the heroes and the future of the galaxy when the credits roll. Plus, it's pretty cool that the last thing you'll see if you watch the Saga this way is Luke and Leia looking out at (a part of) said galaxy. Like a final, hopeful farewell to that magical place.

Wu Wei Jedi likes this.
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    It's been like over a year since I watched all the SW films all the way thru. Now that Obi-Wan Kenobi is coming out soon (which is the one Disney SW thing I've been most excited for),. I think it's a great time to do another run thru of all the films! I will be doing chronological order, with the spinoffs in their places. I will also be trying my best to coordinate my watch time to see Rogue One and ANH together.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

https://www.google.com/amp/s/skytalkers.com/tag/nesting-order/?amp

Lulu Mars likes this.
  4. Wu Wei Jedi

Wu Wei Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 8, 2021
    Wow

Lulu Mars likes this.
  5. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Well I ain’t never gonna commit to an order these days. I just pick what I’m feeling atm. But if I had to think about it conceptually, I’d say release order without a doubt.

Other than the idea of reveals, I think it makes most sense with the overall narrative and thematic structure.

OT is the first act, like ANH, the most morally simplistic, the fairytale.

PT is like ESB, the middle chapter that doesn’t end well, with reveals that flip the script on what you know about good and evil.

ST is RoTJ, the third act that starts in the darkest place and heavily echoes the conflict and structure of the first.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    Bacon164, CampOfSorgan and Sarge like this.
  6. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    If I was recommending a viewing order to someone new to Star Wars I'd skip the ST altogether as Episode 6 has a much more satisfying ending. I'd just leave it at that and pretend the good guys live happily ever after. I'd basically replace Episode 7 with Rogue One in the viewing order just to have the novelty of leading into ANH. I kind of like the Flashback order idea:

ANH - ESB - TPM - AOTC - ROTS - ROTJ - RO

If you wanted to remove TPM from that you actually could. It really doesn't add much to the Darth Vader origin story. In theory you could replace it with a youtube video of Duel of the Fates just because it's such a cool fight.

7. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    My preferred viewing order hasn't changed, TFA or not: IV - V - VI then I - II - III :D

8. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    I always watch it chronologically, but i would recommend for people to watch it the first time from IV-VI, then I-III, and finally VII-IX, release order, that way you experience the saga as it evolved.

Nowdays i'm thinking of doing a full chronological watchthrough with many of the TV shows and other movies included, starting with I-II, then Tartakovsky's CW until Anakin's scar scene, TCW, III, Bad Batch, Kenobi, Solo, Rebels (ugh), Droids, Rouge One, IV, The Holiday Special, V, Ewoks TV show, Caravan of Courage, Battle of Endor, VI, All seasons of the Mandalorian and Book of Boba, VII, VIII, and IX.

And the epilogue is the Lego Holiday Special lol.

I'm not sure how many hours that can be, but i'm entertaining the idea, now that i have most of those available at Disney + meaning stuff i previously didin't own like Droids & Ewoks are now easily accessible in my language.