main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vignettes: Planned or Spontaneously Created?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Lonewolf89, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    My vignettes are put in to complement the epics I write, explaining matters of the story in more detail, rather than just random stuff.

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Smuggler Does anyone else do that? Write stuff in their heads?

All the time but usually when I'm driving so that by the time I get home and can write it down, it's gone!

3. jade_saber8000

jade_saber8000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 18, 2004
    They just hit me like this [face_beatup] It's insane. But sometimes(very very rarely) I'll think, Hey! That would make a good viggie. Then I listen to some music, brainstorm, then write it. One-poster actually take me a few days to write when I'm busy. Which is not often. Just like the planning thing. Doesn't work for me. It turns out horribly when I plan. ~Gabby

4. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    The oddest things usually spark mine. Like making blue jello.

5. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    The oddest things usually spark mine. Like making blue jello.

LOL! Mine too. Haven't ventured into the jello territory yet. ;) Must try that.

6. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    I'll be sitting around, bored, and I'll hear a song or read something or think of something that spawns a plot bunny. The plot bunny grows inside my head for, say, ten minutes or so, and then gets typed up, titled, and posted within the next day! The longest a one-shot has ever taken me was the prologue of towards darkness (originally stand alone) and the shortest was Promise Me (let's forget that ever happened, will we? It was when I was just coming into the light as a writer.)

By far, my favorite one shot was Momento Mori!

7. Darth_Suzi

Darth_Suzi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2004
    They smack me across the face like a wet fish. Anyone else having visions of Veggie Tales? :confused: [face_laugh]

Anyway, my vignettes normally come during class, in which case I write about a page, and then get yelled at for writing when I'm not supposed to me. Or for not playing volleyball in Spanish class. (Don't ask.) Then I don't really have time to finish them when I'm at home, because I'm working on homework or at swim practice. [face_frustrated] They joys of high school.

However, when I do have time, they normally come within half a day.

Except "Helpless," which took three weeks--partially because it caused me to revisit some very unpleasant memories, and partially because I went on vacation halfway through.

8. Uldir_Fenn

Uldir_Fenn Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2004
    The bunnies simply pop into my head and then get typed up as soon as possible

9. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    I wouldn't say that suddenly writing a viggie is spontaneous. They're inspired. Sometimes planning goes into them, but for me, if I know what the over all feel, why plan? Just let the fingers do their magic. and the typing to.

~aeryn

10. VadersMistress

Apr 7, 2004
    Anyway, my vignettes normally come during class, in which case I write about a page, and then get yelled at for writing when I'm not supposed to me. Or for not playing volleyball in Spanish class. (Don't ask.) Then I don't really have time to finish them when I'm at home, because I'm working on homework or at swim practice. They joys of high school.

Ahh.. yes. The overworked, overstressed, overtired joys of highschool! (NOT!) :) It pretty much sucks, especially with exams coming up... AH!

11. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Anyway, my vignettes normally come during class, in which case I write about a page, and then get yelled at for writing when I'm not supposed to me. Or for not playing volleyball in Spanish class. (Don't ask.) Then I don't really have time to finish them when I'm at home, because I'm working on homework or at swim practice. They joys of high school.

Oh, I can relate. Lots of my stuff gets written during French. Ick ick ick.

12. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I first started dabbling in fanfiction back when I was in college -- during Ancient World Lit classes. I had one of those professors who liked to drone in monotone. The odyssey is boring enough when it's read by someone with a good speaking voice :p It's exceptionally hard to stay awake when the person drones on and on and on.. so I do sympathize with you high schoolers ;)

13. VadersMistress

Apr 7, 2004
    *grimaces* I hate it when teachers do that.

14. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I must say that it's all in between. The fastest vignette was created and written down in less than 20 minutes, but I still have a vignette that I came up with the idea for in 2002, and I still haven't finished it. I'm not even close.

15. Ailowyn

Ailowyn Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2003
    Every vignette I've ever written has been completely spontaneous.

In my case, that's mostly because if it takes any longer than an hour or so to write it, it becomes far too long to be considered a vignette. Once I have the inspiration for a vignette, it goes right into words, usually within half an hour or so. And the inspirations come from the oddest places - I got one from a friend's typo.

My favorite weirdness is when I wake up with a bunny, write it down in the dark, and when I wake up, it's either unreadable, or makes no sense whatsoever.

16. VadersMistress

Apr 7, 2004
    My favorite weirdness is when I wake up with a bunny, write it down in the dark, and when I wake up, it's either unreadable, or makes no sense whatsoever.

I've done that!

17. Darth_Suzi

Jun 23, 2004
    My favorite weirdness is when I wake up with a bunny, write it down in the dark, and when I wake up, it's either unreadable, or makes no sense whatsoever. I do that too! My mom's beginning to get annoyed with my frantic screaming of "I need a pen!" while she's downstairs grading lab reports at 1:30 am.

Oddly enough, though, my favorite bunny--which is still in the planning stages--is one that I came up with like that. [face_thinking]

18. VadersMistress

Apr 7, 2004
    Ha ha ha... That's funny. It's funny because I can relate, oddly enough.

EDIT: Suzi, long time no see! How are ya?

But yeah, viggies are rather annoying at times. My latest series of viggies came to me while I was sitting at the computer, (luckily.) I was happy because I actually managed not to to turn into a monster looking for pen and paper.

19. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    The only thing I've really came up with while asleep, was a haiku for Farscape. I ended up writing it in the dark on the front page of a book I had been reading.

20. Sith_Wench

Sith_Wench Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2004
    They smack me across the face like a wet fish.

[face_laugh] Most of my stories are spontaneous as is my poetry. My poems usually start with a line or phrase and then go from there.

21. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    At the most, it takes me about a day to concieve and write a vig.

JS

22. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Actually, some of my one-shots, rather than being spontaneously created, spontaneously combust. They'll be going great and then I'll have a really forced ending.

23. Darth_Suzi

Jun 23, 2004
    I totally understand what you're talking about. I think my major problem when I write vignettes--or really, anything--is that I don't want to stop it. I have a very active muse, and it keeps rambling on and on with no apparent winding down, and then when the ending comes, it's ridiculously abrupt. In Helpless, for example, Han's right in the middle of a full-blown reminiscence when I realize that I don't want the fic to be a complete recap of his entire life, and so I just randomly have the machine pull him out of his thoughts. It could have happened anywhere in the fic, but it just came when my muse ran out. [face_frustrated]

24. VadersMistress

Apr 7, 2004
    They'll be going great and then I'll have a really forced ending.

HA! I can relate 100%. It has happened many a times. *sigh* It happens more with my fics though. *sigh again* My Muse just leaves me hanging there with a half finished fic. I hate HIM!

25. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I've written stuff really quickly (less than ten minutes) and then taken weeks to complete stuff. I've had them turn out good and bad both ways, LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.